The Student Room Group

Edelman Grad Scheme 2011

Couldn't find an existing thread.

Thought it'd be good to discuss with other applicants who have applied this year to the Edelman scheme. The deadline in tomorrow (31st January, 2011).

How did you find the initial application? What experience have you got and are you familiar with any previous Edelman grads?

Personally, this is my dream company, so I'm really hoping to get through to the next stage....!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it looks ok, but I always worry about these kind of grad schemes, will you not be doing alot of admin?
Reply 2
LOL - not at all. You get the opportunity to work across the different areas of Edelman delivering PR for some big name clients. Given that Edelman is one of the top digital agencies in the PR industry at this moment, I can't think of anything more exciting. I do suppose this would appeal more to the PR/Marketing grads amongst us....!
Reply 3
What experience do you have PR dude?
Reply 4
I've been doing freelance for the past 3 years whilst doing my PR degree, and I'm currently working as an Account Exec part-time. I'm hoping that's enough to at least get me to interview stage...! How about yourself?
I've applied, but have none of the amazing experience of you PRDude! Just a lowly graduate with a lot of freelance writing experience, but not much else :frown: Oh well, we shall see.

The application form wasn't too stressful compared to others!

Also applied to Fleishman Hillard, Hotwire, Diffusion, Four Comms, Blue Rubicon, Ketchum Pleon, MHP Communications....that's all I can remember now.
Reply 6
Wow you've applied for a lot - bet you're a pro at this by now LOL!

I can imagine anyone who is passionate about PR and comms will get a look-in - I think the key is how you put it across on your application form - sadly, as someone who should be top rate in communications, I don't think my application form skills are the best, plus I got into Uni the hard way having one A Level and getting in on experience alone so chances are I get filtered out first when it comes to grad schemes....we'll see either way!

The Ketchum one has just opened hasn't it? I think I'll try that & Blue Rubicon too. I wish Taylor Herring did a grad scheme!
Original post by PRDude
Wow you've applied for a lot - bet you're a pro at this by now LOL!

I can imagine anyone who is passionate about PR and comms will get a look-in - I think the key is how you put it across on your application form - sadly, as someone who should be top rate in communications, I don't think my application form skills are the best, plus I got into Uni the hard way having one A Level and getting in on experience alone so chances are I get filtered out first when it comes to grad schemes....we'll see either way!

The Ketchum one has just opened hasn't it? I think I'll try that & Blue Rubicon too. I wish Taylor Herring did a grad scheme!

http://www.ketchum.com/James_Maxwell_Programme

Deadline is ages away, but it is open.

I've applied to a few more too, but it's worrying me that maybe if I haven't written them in the best way then I'll be rejected for them all!

Who knows. I just hate waiting for the replies.
Still haven't heard anything from Edelman, but I do have a phone interview with Hotwire!
Reply 9
Hey that's awesome - well done!

I've not heard anything yet, but I'm not anticipating hearing anything for at least another two weeks or so.

I didn't apply for Hotwire, I am applying to Ketchum but my Uni deadlines at the moment have meant I've not had the time to actually sit down and work on my application!

I rang Weber Shandwick the other day to ask about their grad scheme and they said they are rolling one out but currently re-building it - so hopefully that means there may be opportunities in the North West and I don't have to move away from my fiancee!! Happy days!

Let us know how you get on with Hotwire - I'm sure you'll do great!
Thanks :biggrin: I'm terrified about the phone interview, they said they would ring 'over the next couple of days' so all day I have been on edge. Guess I can relax until Monday now though. Will update how it goes; it will be my first step into the world of PR applications beyond just filling out a form!

Yes I'm applying for Ketchum too but not thinking about it at the mo, I've got too much work to be doing as well!

I hate not knowing when we might hear back, not just from Edelman but from anything. Knowing that we will be contracted 'soon' or 'over the next few weeks/months' isn't very helpful!
Had the interview. Was only 5 minutes! I spoke a mile a minute and I was a bit breathless and rambling, hopefully that's more me being self-critical than how I actually sounded. So who knows, I will hear now in a few days time...

Nothing from Edelman or anyone else though!
Reply 12
Hey well done on the interview - so many people don't even get to that stage so that's an achievement in itself! What did they ask you about? I've not had a formal interview for a PR role so I'm intrigued as to what questions they ask. I'm sure you were fine though - lol @ being breathless - happens to me ALL the time if I'm nervous!!

I've not heard from Edelman either - no news is good news I suppose!
Interview was just usual stuff: what is PR, why our agency, etc etc etc. Nothing I hadn't already guessed they would ask. I'm really worried that they must be quite keen on the rejecting at this stage, because he said he had a lot of people still to go through and they've got to whittle us down to a short list for the assessment day. So I'm worried that might be it for me at this stage, but we shall see!!

Edelman, like most places, has said end of March for the deadline for them to get back to you if it's a yes I suppose, so the longer we don't hear from them the better!
Got through to Hotwire's assessment day :biggrin: This is all happening scarily fast!

I hope as it starts getting to the end of Feb we might start hearing things from Edelman etc. But who knows!
Reply 15
That's amazing!!

Well done to you!! Scarily fast indeed but good luck, it's lovely to read success stories!!

I just read that the Edelman scheme attracted 492 applicants - I've not heard anything back yet either so fingers crossed.

When's the Hotwire assessment day?
See you at the Hotwire Assessment day! (annoying they wont pay expenses...) but I'm thrilled to be going.

I went to the Diffusion Assessment day over the weekend which was amazing, its a very cool young company. 30 of us there, 8 will get called back for final interviews, 3 positions up for grabs! Keeping my fingers tightly crossed!

Has anyone heard back from Edelman, Four comms, Fishburn Hedges (sept intake) or Chime yet?

C x
Original post by CharRydeR654
See you at the Hotwire Assessment day! (annoying they wont pay expenses...) but I'm thrilled to be going.

I went to the Diffusion Assessment day over the weekend which was amazing, its a very cool young company. 30 of us there, 8 will get called back for final interviews, 3 positions up for grabs! Keeping my fingers tightly crossed!

Has anyone heard back from Edelman, Four comms, Fishburn Hedges (sept intake) or Chime yet?

C x

Wow, see you there! Where did you see about them not paying expenses? I'm not so bothered as I will be staying with family, but is there any more information we can get hold of for it? I'm so excited to go be going as well, can't believe I managed it this far.

In the end I burnt out when I got to Diffusion, I ran out of application determination! I did want to apply though, it sounded a great company, well done on the assessment day.

Got an email from Fishburn Hedges saying we should hear 'by March 20th' if we have got in, but who knows whether we will hear now or 19th March!

Nothing from any of the others (although I didn't apply to Chime, another that got thrown out when I got impatient with the application process!)
I emailed Hotwire asking if they covered expenses as I'm at uni in Durham and a return ticket costs me around £60! :frown: Its expensive to get a job...

Yeah I got that email from Fishburn too, I went to their open day thing and they seem like a great company. Hopefully we'll hear soon.

I got a missed call from Louise Brown who does HR at Edelman this evening, she left a message but only asking to call her back. Now the office is closed and I'm itching to know what its about - pleeeeeeease let it be positive! But it at least means that they're starting to get through the applications (all 491 of them!) and so we'll all be hearing back soon.

Good luck everyone!
Cx
Original post by CharRydeR654
I emailed Hotwire asking if they covered expenses as I'm at uni in Durham and a return ticket costs me around £60! :frown: Its expensive to get a job...

Yeah I got that email from Fishburn too, I went to their open day thing and they seem like a great company. Hopefully we'll hear soon.

I got a missed call from Louise Brown who does HR at Edelman this evening, she left a message but only asking to call her back. Now the office is closed and I'm itching to know what its about - pleeeeeeease let it be positive! But it at least means that they're starting to get through the applications (all 491 of them!) and so we'll all be hearing back soon.

Good luck everyone!
Cx

oh wow, the call sounds a good sign. Fingers crossed it was something about the next stage. Didn't realise they could ring us potentially, I'm not great with my phone! Hopefully it does mean they are moving through the applications.

I'm at Durham too, not happy about the sign of that ticket price!! Is that with a railcard?!

Yea good luck everyone too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending