The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

"Warwick doesn't have any black people"

A friend of mine who goes to Warwick (studies Law) told me that there wasn't much ethnic diversity in Warwick regarding 'black people' is this statement true?
Original post by iheartmondays
A friend of mine who goes to Warwick (studies Law) told me that there wasn't much ethnic diversity in Warwick regarding 'black people' is this statement true?

Well it all depends on where you're from. I don't notice much difference from the home counties town I live in, but someone who lives in a central london suburb might think that.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
And I come from a country where basically everyone is white, so I notice the opposite.
Reply 3
Original post by iheartmondays

I really wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure there're more ehtnic minorties at Warwick than somewhere like Durham, Bristol or Exeter.

My friend studied for his first degree at Oxford and studied for his masters at Durham. He told me that he thought Oxford was more diverse in terms of the students' race and social background compared to Durham. He said Durham was very white and very middle class even more so than Oxford!!!

So I'm so you'll be fine at Warwick!
I've noticed a very wide range of diversities in Warwick, I almost feel a bit boring being one of the few without some kind of interesting cultural background!

Take for example, one of my seminars I have each week: There's only 14 of us in the group. Yet we've people from the middle east, Russia, Scandinavia, North Africa, east Asia and the Indian subcontinent!!! A fantastic mix for such a small group of people! It's one of the things I love about the uni.

In another language module I do, there's only three white people (including me). I really have no idea how anyone could say there's little diversity! Do they even attend Warwick?!
I think you'll find that there aren't many black people in any top university, but Warwick is more diverse than its direct competitors.
Reply 6
I think you also get a different perception depending on what course you do and what clubs/socs you join because that helps determine the people you hang around with. I study Italian, and besides a couple of EU students, everyone is British. Think everyone is white British too. I dunno, I didn't pay that much attention to that last year and haven't been on campus since June, really.

I do think it's a diverse university though. Of course there are more white British than any other nationality, but that's not surprising given the cultural make up and history of the UK.
25% of students are international students and I have definitely met several black people. Warwick is such a diverse campus!
Just when Warwick couldn't get better...
Reply 9
Original post by Imperial Blitz
Just when Warwick couldn't get better...

hahaha, shame I don't have any rep points for you!
Original post by mrengineer
hahaha, shame I don't have any rep points for you!

Damn!

Try again tomorrow :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending