The Student Room Group

German Result is Droping my Average

If you look at my sig you can see I have mainly A*, A and B except in German where I got a D (I wont go into exact reasons). Anyway taking the D away improves my average somewhat, and since it isn't a core subject like English I was wondering if I could just drop the result - there by increasing my average?

It's not really critical just something that crossed my mind, but then I wasn't really sure on whether it was even possible or not so I just thought I'd ask and find out.

Edit: Just to clarrify - when filling out applications (university/jobs) do I have to put in all the GCSEs I took?
Reply 1
For uni... you need to put them ALL.

For jobs you dont have to declare any you dont want to... and technically on a lot of application forms, they dont ask for grades... so as long as you passed theyre happy.

To be honest even with that D youhave a great average... so work hard at your ASs and your uni application will be great too.
Reply 2
Yeah, on application forms you have to write them all down, but for CVs I've heard you didn't have to... (a brother of a friend wrote that he 'passed 3 GCSEs' on his CV - he failed the rest). But I don't think average of GCSEs matter that much. Unis don't care too much if you fluked one subject at GCSE, unless of course you want to do a language degree (which I don't think you do!)
You have to put all your GCSE grades on your UCAS form. If you don't, and they find out, they can make your application void. I doubt you need to put them all on your CV and job application though- you'll still have a reasonable number of GCSEs and they won't know what subjects you took. I don't think averages are ever used really, and universities shouldn't care about 1 bad grade in German as long as you're not applying for languages.
As the others said, no reason to worry - yes you'll have to put them all down, but as long as you don't go for anything languages-related it won't be a problem as your other grades are excellent
Reply 5
Thanks guys, the thought just occured to me and then I realised that I didn't even know if it would be allowed (but TSR came to the rescue again :wink: ).

And no, I'll be staying away from languages. :p:
Reply 6
Thanks guys, the thought just occured to me and then I realised that I didn't even know if it would be allowed (but TSR came to the rescue again :wink: ).

Reply 7

Reply 8
p00p-
From my GCSE results I was predicted an E in Physics at A2. Even though I am one of the best in the class. And It got put onto my report as the target grade. Haha maybe I should've tried in my GCSE's
Oh yes, my school gives target minimum grades based on what other people who got your average gcse result went on to get at A2. But when you have bilingual students predicted D's for language A2's (whereas I'm predicted an A and I'm sooo not bilingual) it's just a joke!

Besides, to the OP, the only places/people that care about your average GCSE grade/score is oxbridge and even they wouldn't much care for one anomolie. Don't worry about it.
Reply 9
Join the club, i think a lot of ppl ave the same problem
Reply 10
hey, i was pretty much the same and i felt that german was bringing me down so much that it was wise to drop the subject. I no it was a risk as now i have no language an one less GCSE but i really feel it was the right decision. Also it gave me a free lesson which enabled me to do coursework from my other classes and really improved my grades.
I sooooooooo wanted to do that but wasn't allowed and now i have my speaking exam in 3 :eek: weeks and can talk in spanish for about 30 seconds!!!!!!!!
OMG im scared now just thinking about it but i really want to get a C. Im determined not to fail any GCSE's.
just try and better yourself at AS level, my GCSEs aren't too impressive, but i want to study chemistry at Uni and im on course for nearly full marks in chemistry AS. Outstanding AS level marks will make you stand out far more than GCSEs, they'll have no excuse to discriminate against you based on your GCSEs if your AS results are better than everyone elses!!
Reply 13
I got a D in german and got 5 pretty good offers and 1 bloody rejection from Ed. Grr.
Reply 14
p00p
From my GCSE results I was predicted an E in Physics at A2. Even though I am one of the best in the class. And It got put onto my report as the target grade. Haha maybe I should've tried in my GCSE's

So true.

Whilst I can understand the college has to base their initial predictions on GCSE results, I was getting near to my AS levels with predictions still on C's purely due to my GCSE results.

Even at the beginning of A2 I still encountered a ridiculous amount of hostility with regards to predicting grades.
Reply 15
Thanks again guys, it's a little old this thread and not quite sure how it got dragged up again.

I did do quite well in January and if I can do as well this time round hopefully that will be enough to compensate for my D.

Latest

Trending

Trending