Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ross' Fitness blog [Development pictures]

Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right ok, this is my first ever fitness blog. I am looking to start rowing in September at Bath uni, but I realise I need to put on some muscle mass before even thinking about joining the novice team. I havn't joined a rowing club, but I'll just learn the technique at uni.

I don't know if I'll keep this up but I'm bored so I thought I would start one.

I started weightlifting in October (roughly around the 18th). I had never previously done any weightlifting at all so basically I was very inexperienced, I probably still am!

I didn't start off doing any deadlifts or squats, which I regret quite a lot. Only this passed month have I undertaken these compounds and they work out great!

First off, I got my diet together, stopped eating crappy food and tried to eat 5 fruit and veg a day whilst keeping protein and carbs to a high. I probably get drunk once a month, which isn't too bad! I always drink around 3 litres, maybe more of water daily.

I then found a routine and have refined it to make it suitable for me...

Anyway.... here's my stats:

As of 31/1/10

DoB: 28/10/91
    Height: 5'11
    Weight: 69kg
    Body Fat %: 10%

Pictures:

Spoiler:
    Show
    A week into Training: Weight: Between 9 stone 13 and 10 stone

Early November: Weight: 10 stone 3

Around middle of December: Weight is 10 stone 5

Early January : Weight is around 10 stone 6/7

Last week: Weight is around 10 stone 8

July:
    11 Stone

IF YOU GIVE A DAMN!
    Summer 2013, Long time since I've done this and I've gained some much more knowledge about lifting and form. Bit of a form nazi now and I try to stick to it when I can, anyway, here's my lifts! 5x5 mostly. I isolate but I can't be bothered to add that stuff!

Squat: 100kg*5*5 Ass to grass - I was half squatting before. Still, rubbish gains over 2 years though but my diet hasn't been great since about Jan 2012 - I count my actual lifting from then because that's when I started making improvements!

Bench: I do decline now, feels much better and I get better contraction! 100kg*4 95*5*4 - I know.. my bench has caught up with my squat. But I know my squat will increase like crazy this year!!!!!!!

Deadlift: 150kg*5*5 - 160*5*5 by xmas and I'll be over the moon!

Overhead press: 60kg*5 then a few 55*5*4

Those are the main lifts
    Here's progress:

2011: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00212-20110521-2146.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	381.4 KB 
ID:	239646
    2012 low body fat here: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00252-20111125-2231.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	239648
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00260-20111212-1636.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	239650
    2013: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0648.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	499.5 KB 
ID:	239651
    Then I lost like 6/7 pounds Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0747.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	504.9 KB 
ID:	239653
    Legs: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0735.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	483.4 KB 
ID:	239655 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0734.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	438.8 KB 
ID:	239656

Now back bulking! 90kg by end of next year I hope!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rossshaw)
    Right ok, this is my first ever fitness blog. I am looking to start rowing in September at Bath uni, but I realise I need to put on some muscle mass before even thinking about joining the novice team. I havn't joined a rowing club, but I'll just learn the technique at uni.

I don't know if I'll keep this up but I'm bored so I thought I would start one.

I started weightlifting in October (roughly around the 18th). I had never previously done any weightlifting at all so basically I was very inexperienced, I probably still am!

I didn't start off doing any deadlifts or squats, which I regret quite a lot. Only this passed month have I undertaken these compounds and they work out great!

First off, I got my diet together, stopped eating crappy food and tried to eat 5 fruit and veg a day whilst keeping protein and carbs to a high. I probably get drunk once a month, which isn't too bad! I always drink around 3 litres, maybe more of water daily.

I then found a routine and have refined it to make it suitable for me...

Anyway.... here's my stats:

As of 31/1/10

DoB: 28/10/91
    Height: 5'11
    Weight: 67kg
    Body Fat %: 7%

Pictures:

Spoiler:
    Show
    A week into Training: Weight: Between 9 stone 13 and 10 stone

Early November: Weight: 10 stone 3

Around middle of December: Weight is 10 stone 5

Early January : Weight is around 10 stone 6/7

Last week: Weight is around 10 stone 8

Yeah that bar of soap just killed it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Diet:
    Breakfst:
    Cereal - Weetabix
    Coffee
    Orange Juice
    Banana
    Amino Acid Tablets x2
    Vitamin C Tablet

Snack:
    Will start to eat Peanut butter sandwiches here

Lunch:
    Baguette - Sausage, Egg, Bacon
    Tropical Fruit Juice
    Amino Acid Tablets x 2

Snack:
    Nuts, grapes, apple

Tea:
    Could be anything...
    Amino Acids x 2

Snack:
    Yoghurt and nuts

Supper:
    Tea, cereal and a Ham sandwich

After work outs, I will take
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCI-MX-LEAN-GR...item3a60eb7836

I have only just started using the 1kg version just a tester. It has a 50/50 ratio with Protein to Carbs.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedepressedchild)
    Yeah that bar of soap just killed it.
    NOT DONE YET

Just need to put up my work out haha!

Each workout has ab and lower back excercises at the end.

Monday: - Chest and Triceps:

4x8 Incline Bench currently 35kg - This is really hard to increase!
    4x8 DB Bench - 56kg
    4x8 Decline Bench - 35kg

3xFail Tricep dips - body weight
    4x8 Tricep Extensions

Tuesday:
    Row

Wednesday:
    4x8 Deadlifts -90kg
    4x8 Lat Pull ups - Assisted with 5kg taken away from body weight
    4x8 Single Arm Rows - 35kg

3x8 Barbel Curl 30kg then switch to 15kg straight after and do another quick set. Feels good
    3x8 DB Curl - 14kg

Thursday:
    Rest/Row

Friday:
    4x8 Squat - 80kg
    4x8 Leg press - 150kg
    4x8 Leg curl - 70kg
    4x8 Leg extensions - 55kg

4x8 Seated DB Shoulder Press - Military press or w.e 40kg (with db's)
    4x8 Lateral Raises 10kg each hand
    Couple of Shrugs at end with 30kg dumbells

17/7/11 - Currently 11stone. My gains have been slow, but I can probably put that down to me rowing so much. Rowing times are decreasing and fitness levels are getting better.
    No pics

16/8/11 - STILL 11 stone.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Deadlifts went well today, still practicing on making sure the form is spot on. Got a personal trainer to check up on it and I need to level my back a bit more and basically sit in mid-air more. Loving the dead lifts though.

Everything else was fine as usual.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Youre going to be a lightweight rower right?

Forget the bench/tricep day completely. Chuck in some weighted pushups/dips/pullups and that's essentially your upper body sorted.

Again stick to the compounds. Heavy deads, which youre doing. Also cleans (can do hang cleans if you find proper ones too technical), squats (back, front, overhead).

Erg a lot. All the time. Get the drive sorted so it feels like a mix of the power-phases of deads, squats and cleans. And dont go above 75kg...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    also join the uni rowing club. The quicker you start the better surely?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to you.
    By the way, I like how you were consistent with the same pair of jeans and belt every picture.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    A couple of tips you'll thank me for, later. When you erg, make sure you back is straight, else you will end up with a nasty back pain*. Find wrist muscles exercises and start now, both wrists as you don't know which side of the boat you'll be on yet. Having stiff wrists in the middle of a race is the most annoying feeling ever (it's not really painful, you just feel like you can't do anything anymore). When you erg, just remember to put as much power down as you can, it's all that matters (almost), and if your legs don't hurt, you're not doing it right.

One last thing I found great is cycling. It seems to go pretty well with rowing as well, for some reasons. Work on your mental as well, because for me, rowing is more about the way you think than the way you do things sometimes, and you can't be thinking "man, I can't do that" 100m after the start line. Oh and get your breathing right.

*: I only said that because when I go to the gym, if I happen to be the only girl in the erg room, there will invariably be a joker who wants to be all manly man, will get on an erg and try to row quicker than me with a horrid (and dangerous) position. I'm sure you're not one of them, but better be safe than sorry.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    Youre going to be a lightweight rower right?

Forget the bench/tricep day completely. Chuck in some weighted pushups/dips/pullups and that's essentially your upper body sorted.

Again stick to the compounds. Heavy deads, which youre doing. Also cleans (can do hang cleans if you find proper ones too technical), squats (back, front, overhead).

Erg a lot. All the time. Get the drive sorted so it feels like a mix of the power-phases of deads, squats and cleans. And dont go above 75kg...
    Yeah lightweight :lol: I'm only starting to edge 11 stone at times right now haha.

Right ok, What should Monday look like then?

I am going to go heavy with time, I try to do more of an explosive kind of movement.

Right cleans, I'll have to learn this. What sort of day should I add these into my routine?

I'm only doing back squats right now. How should I add these in?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    A couple of tips you'll thank me for, later. When you erg, make sure you back is straight, else you will end up with a nasty back pain*. Find wrist muscles exercises and start now, both wrists as you don't know which side of the boat you'll be on yet. Having stiff wrists in the middle of a race is the most annoying feeling ever (it's not really painful, you just feel like you can't do anything anymore). When you erg, just remember to put as much power down as you can, it's all that matters (almost), and if your legs don't hurt, you're not doing it right.

One last thing I found great is cycling. It seems to go pretty well with rowing as well, for some reasons. Work on your mental as well, because for me, rowing is more about the way you think than the way you do things sometimes, and you can't be thinking "man, I can't do that" 100m after the start line. Oh and get your breathing right.

*: I only said that because when I go to the gym, if I happen to be the only girl in the erg room, there will invariably be a joker who wants to be all manly man, will get on an erg and try to row quicker than me with a horrid (and dangerous) position. I'm sure you're not one of them, but better be safe than sorry.
    My technique on the erg is good. My legs hurt and I always pull with power and maintain a straight back throughout. I push out with my legs quite a lot, I think my back completes the stroke... not too sure :lol:.

I do find it hard after a certain distance in rowing but I keep going for a while, I manage to finish the workout though so I'd like to think my mental side is ok. I'll have a look at the breathing now. Cheers buddy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah lightweight :lol: I'm only starting to edge 11 stone at times right now haha.

Right ok, What should Monday look like then?

I am going to go heavy with time, I try to do more of an explosive kind of movement.

Right cleans, I'll have to learn this. What sort of day should I add these into my routine?

I'm only doing back squats right now. How should I add these in?
    Do something more like:

Session 1
    Cleans 3X8
    Overhead Squat 3X8
    Front Squat 3X8
    Weighted Pullups 3X8
    Weighted Dips 3X8
    Weighted Pressups 3X8

Session 2
    Cleans 3X8
    Overhead Squat 3X8
    Deadlift 3X5
    Weighted Pullups 3X8
    Weighted Dips 3X8
    Weighted Pressups 3X8

That'll take maybe just over an hour. Change it up after a couple months. Spend the rest of your week erging. Erg a lot, like 50k a week.
    • 75 followers

ReputationRep:
    Followed the link in your sig to your fitness blog and what's this? 4 weeks with no updates??

Get back in the gym and updating this...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Followed the link in your sig to your fitness blog and what's this? 4 weeks with no updates??

Get back in the gym and updating this...
    Lmao! VERY Late reply. But yes, I've been maintaining it. Currently, I am still 11 stone and holding at that.

Can't be arsed with updating pics and every now and again I'll be back to update this blog haha!

I'd like to be 11 stone 5 for uni but that's unlikely. However, I did say that I wanted to be 11 stone going to uni and so I guess I've met that goal. Just need to get into the novice rowing team - That is, if I even get into uni!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Squat: 90kg... it's rubbish
    Deadlift: 120kg
    Bench: 70kg
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    90kg squat isn't that bad considering your weight, 1.5 x BW is a good aim.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Squat: 90kg... it's rubbish
    Deadlift: 120kg
    Bench: 70kg
    If youre squatting properly then 90kg is fine compared to your bench and dead
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    My gym buddy is probably my biggest inspiration. He studies maths too - what a guy!
    Don't forget to let everyone know you've got a 140kg deadlift now...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Monday: - Chest and Triceps:

4x8 Incline Bench currently 35kg - This is really hard to increase!
    4x8 DB Bench - 56kg
    4x8 Decline Bench - 35kg

Oh how times have changed...

And no way way were you doing 56kg dumbbells!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olipal)
    Oh how times have changed...

And no way way were you doing 56kg dumbbells!
    In total man, in total!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 20, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.