The Student Room Group

Unsuccessful application :(

I just got turned down by UCL for civil engineering. I'm soo down now. Applied to Nottingham, Surrey, City, and Warwick as well, but my first choice has turned me down. I feel soo down now :frown:

Anyone cheer me up please! I can't even understand the reason, considering my personal statement was "very outstanding" as my English teacher and some other said. My grades were ICT (A), German (A), Maths (B), Physics (C).

Is there still any chance of getting in?

:frown::frown::frown::frown:

Edit- the reason I'm more down that normal is that last year I got a conditional offer from UCL but despite having AAAA in my first modules of Maths I ended up with an overall B. That just makes me extremely upset now.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Keep calm, carry on.
Well I'm not an engineering expert, but surely As in Maths and Physics would look better than As in German and ICT. You're probably competing with people with these grades and more.
What were your predicted grades?
Call them and ask them why they rejected you, you might get an insight into why.

Good luck with your other choices!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
There's every chance of getting into your other 4!!
Unfortunately, this is a horrible year to be applying to university, everywhere's overflowing with candidates, and they just can't take everyone.
It sucks that it's your first choice, but your other choices are great too!!
And most people end up loving uni wherever they go.
You feel down now, but you'll feel better soon, I promise.
Reply 4
Email/phone them for feedback..
Original post by DesignFreak
Well I'm not an engineering expert, but surely As in Maths and Physics would look better than As in German and ICT. You're probably competing with people with these grades and more.
Call them and ask them why they rejected you, you might get an insight into why.

Well, these were actually my actual grades. I retook Maths and Physics exams in January and am pretty sure I got my Maths to an A (considering I got AAAACD in my modules before) and hopefully got the Physics to a B as well.

My personal statement was checked here online on TSR and the person who checked it said he was very impressed and also when I showed it to my English, Maths, and Physics teachers, they were saying they hadn't seen a this good personal statement this year.
3 things to think about

1. this year is incredibly competitive. theres the rejections from last year, more applicants for uni every year PLUS the fee increase making people panic. UCL is a very good university, and even though you have good grades, theres going to be a hell of a lot of students with three As in maths and physics applying, too. unfortunately thats just how it goes!

2. theres nothing you could do or have done about it. if they dont want you, its not like you can go back in time and change it or convince them otherwise, thats how it happens. maybe you'll go to surrey and be so happy with your course you'll count yourself lucky you didnt go to UCL.

3. Your other unis are not exactly bad in terms of quality/location. wouldnt recommend warwick though, student life is apparently terrible and theres a surprising drop out rate...

cheer up! not the end of the world!
Original post by DesignFreak

Original post by Charlieeeeee
3 things to think about

1. this year is incredibly competitive. theres the rejections from last year, more applicants for uni every year PLUS the fee increase making people panic. UCL is a very good university, and even though you have good grades, theres going to be a hell of a lot of students with three As in maths and physics applying, too. unfortunately thats just how it goes!

2. theres nothing you could do or have done about it. if they dont want you, its not like you can go back in time and change it or convince them otherwise, thats how it happens. maybe you'll go to surrey and be so happy with your course you'll count yourself lucky you didnt go to UCL.

3. Your other unis are not exactly bad in terms of quality/location. wouldnt recommend warwick though, student life is apparently terrible and theres a surprising drop out rate...

cheer up! not the end of the world!

Thanks a lot to everyone. Made me cheer up a little now. I just hope none of the others reject me.
Original post by llpokermuffinll
I just got turned down by UCL for civil engineering. I'm soo down now. Applied to Nottingham, Surrey, City, and Warwick as well, but my first choice has turned me down. I feel soo down now :frown:

Anyone cheer me up please! I can't even understand the reason, considering my personal statement was "very outstanding" as my English teacher and some other said. My grades were ICT (A), German (A), Maths (B), Physics (C).

Is there still any chance of getting in?

:frown::frown::frown::frown:

Edit- the reason I'm more down that normal is that last year I got a conditional offer from UCL but despite having AAAA in my first modules of Maths I ended up with an overall B. That just makes me extremely upset now.

heeya
i got rejected my UCL for the same course ....the others unis youve applied to are good too and as other people have said this year is a tough year to apply ...have u got any offers from other universities?...
dont worry about it...:smile:
You can't retake the Maths modules? How many marks were you off an A?
Reply 10
Maths (B), Physics (C).

That's why.

Grades aren't good enough, also Chemistry or another science might of helped instead of German or IT. And you don't have Further Maths.

There will be candidates with A's in all those subjects that get turned away, you can't expect to simply waltz in with your only science grade being a C.

You were just unlucky no sense being overly upset not like you were rejected unfairly, like I said there'll be people with straight A's who were turned away it's not a guarantee.
Original post by insoms
That's why.

Grades aren't good enough, also Chemistry or another science might of helped instead of German or IT. And you don't have Further Maths.

There will be candidates with A's in all those subjects that get turned away, you can't expect to simply waltz in with your only science grade being a C.

You were just unlucky no sense being overly upset not like you were rejected unfairly, like I said there'll be people with straight A's who were turned away it's not a guarantee.

true that loadsa people with amazing grades got rejected
but u dont specifically need further maths i dont think so ..they do want math and atleast physics or chem tho...
Youve still got some excellent universities that you are yet to hear back from so dont be too disheartened. Also theres no harm in asking UCL for feedback to see where you want wrong :smile:
Original post by cool_beans1993
but u dont specifically need further maths i dont think so ..they do want math and atleast physics or chem tho...

The entry requirements are normally AAA with A in Maths and a pass in a science, preferably Physics.
Reply 14
Original post by cool_beans1993

they care about everything this cycle, you are not the only one. I got rejected for Anthropology because my predicted grade in physics is not an 8 (about an A). Cheer up, you have four more universities to impress. :tongue:
The entry requirements are normally AAA with A in Maths and a pass in a science, preferably Physics.

There you go then, you don't have the A in Maths. UCL are very fussy about people retaking, they prefer those who got their grades the first time round.
Original post by jelly1000
There you go then, you don't have the A in Maths. UCL are very fussy about people retaking, they prefer those who got their grades the first time round.

Damn! I got a conditional offer last year though. this is just extremely **** to think about. Last year I had 0 As in A Level and got conditional. This year I got 2 already and one "almost" and didn't get nothing :frown:
Reply 17
It's okay! You can still go to great universities. Just give yourself a few days to be bummed out about it, and then try not to think too much about it after that. I'm sure you're going to end up going to a lovely uni and loving it. As others have said, it's a competitive university, but that's life. No reason to stress too much. :h:
aww, don't let a rejection bring you down.
you'll have a great time wherever you end up going. :smile:
good luck with your other unis. x
Reply 19
ok, 10000s of people got unjustly rejected.... I suggest you move on like everybody else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending