The Student Room Group

Some advice about Access To Higher Education Course.

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if someone could help me. I am currently in full time work and will be turning 21 later on this year, i am interested in doing an access course as i would need to sharpen my qualifications before i apply for university. I was wondering a few things...

1. Is there certain qualifications needed to get a place on the course?

2. I was thinking of Birmingham Metropolitan College or Walsall, does anyone go to either of these colleges or know which one may be of better quality?

The qualifications i currently have are:

NVQ Level 2 & 3 in Travel
Keyskills application of number - Level 2
GCSE'S:
English Language & Literature - C, German - C, ICT - Distinction, Geography - D

Many thanks.:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by LittleMissMagic
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if someone could help me. I am currently in full time work and will be turning 21 later on this year, i am interested in doing an access course as i would need to sharpen my qualifications before i apply for university. I was wondering a few things...

1. Is there certain qualifications needed to get a place on the course?

2. I was thinking of Birmingham Metropolitan College or Walsall, does anyone go to either of these colleges or know which one may be of better quality?

The qualifications i currently have are:

NVQ Level 2 & 3 in Travel
Keyskills application of number - Level 2
GCSE'S:
English Language & Literature - C, German - C, ICT - Distinction, Geography - D

Many thanks.:smile:

1. There is not generally any required qualifications to get onto an Access course. You will however be asked to complete a basic maths and english test to make sure you have the required levels needed to start on the access course. Most colleges offer a pre-access course/return to study course which will prepare you for the access course if necessary.

2. Choose which college offers you the subjects most relevant to what you wish to pursue at university. Universities dont value an Access course from one college over an Access course from a different college.
Reply 2
Original post by LittleMissMagic

I think your other question has been answered, but I applied to go to Birmingham Met and found their customer service to be completely abysmal. Several telephone calls and emails requesting information - not one phone call or email was ever returned.

I've not heard very good things about them from past students either - work lost, messed up assignment marking etc. Avoid like the plague imo.

Quick Reply