The Student Room Group

Intermediate Maths Challenge 2011

Scroll to see replies

Hey,

I found it really hard:frown:. I only managed to answer the first 15 and I had a guess at questions 17. Anyone got a mark scheme or copy of the paper to see what I put and whether I got it wrong. How did you all find it. I hope the boundaries are low.

Nick
did anyone else do the one with 5^p=9 and 9^q=12... what is pqrst, and get the answer to be 2.
Reply 82
Original post by mathsisfunny
did anyone else do the one with 5^p=9 and 9^q=12... what is pqrst, and get the answer to be 2.

Yeah I got two, seemed a little easy but it made sense
Reply 83
Original post by j.alexanderh
Can anyone remember the exact wording of this question?

Something like "The shape to the right is made up of 1x1 squares. The shape is cut into two pieces, which are used to form a rectangle of 6x2 units. What is the difference between the areas of the two pieces?" Pretty sure all of the answers were integers, possibly 2 upwards.
Original post by Bord3r
Yeah I got two, seemed a little easy but it made sense

Oh thank god:smile:
Original post by hrickards
Something like "The shape to the right is made up of 1x1 squares. The shape is cut into two pieces, which are used to form a rectangle of 6x2 units. What is the difference between the areas of the two pieces?" Pretty sure all of the answers were integers, possibly 2 upwards.

I got zero for this, cutting along the line of symmetry, but I saw a few people saying it was two, which also seems to be correct. I was wondering if there was a condition I didn't read such as not being allowed to cut through squares.
Please answer these.. thanks:
the 3 blind mice stole a piece of cheese. in the nyt, d 1st mouse ate 1/3 of the cheese. l8er, the 2nd mouse ate 1/3 of the remaining cheese. finally, the 3rd mouse ate 1/3 of what was left of the cheese. between them, what fraction of the cheese did they eat

a shop advertised 'everything half price in our sale', but also now advertises that there's an 'additional 15% off sale prices'. overall, this is equivalent to what reduction on the orig. prices?
Reply 87
I got zero for this, cutting along the line of symmetry, but I saw a few people saying it was two, which also seems to be correct. I was wondering if there was a condition I didn't read such as not being allowed to cut through squares.

You were only allowed to cut through the lines I think, and not through the squares.
Where's the unoffocial mark scheme?
Reply 89
Original post by weiyaoli
You were only allowed to cut through the lines I think, and not through the squares.

Yeah, thinking about it I'm pretty sure it specifically said "cut along the lines".
1) 19/27
2) 57.5%

Atleast I got two right. :smile:

For the mice one i actually drew out a rectangle on my squared paper and made sure it had 27 boxes in it. Then I just scored out a 3rd of it then again etc.and got the right answer. :smile:
Reply 91
Does anyone have an unofficial mark scheme? If not, do you have any idea when the solutions will be posted on the UKMT website?
Reply 92
Can anyone remember what they put for the difference between the areas of the two shapes that made a 6x2 rectangle? I put 2, but it seemed much too easy.

I put 2 as well, the question really confused me though :s-smilie: But our teacher put the answers up on the board after, it's 2 :biggrin:

I got 93.. meh, not too bad considering I was falling asleep and like freezing to death in the room. :rolleyes: Do you guys do past papers?
Reply 93
Original post by (:emily.
I put 2 as well, the question really confused me though :s-smilie: But our teacher put the answers up on the board after, it's 2 :biggrin:

I got 93.. meh, not too bad considering I was falling asleep and like freezing to death in the room. :rolleyes: Do you guys do past papers?

How do you already know you got 93.. ?
Reply 94
Original post by Aspire101
Does anyone have an unofficial mark scheme? If not, do you have any idea when the solutions will be posted on the UKMT website?

+1
Reply 95
+1

+1? :confused:
Reply 96
+1

+2
Reply 97
:confused:any one remember the answer of the last question ????
i think i did it wrong....
i chose 1:2
Reply 98
Is that Maclaurin Olympiad is only for year 11, Hamilton Olympiad for year 10 and Cayley Olympiad for year 9 even if you score high enough for Olympiad not in your year?
Reply 99
My teacher worked out some of the answers for us so we could take our question booklet with our answers circled home and check ours, so I'll put her answers up

EDIT: Just in case anyone's doing this tomorrow, message me if you wanna discuss what answers my teacher gave :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending