The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Uni of Nottingham vs. Nottingham Trent

Scroll to see replies

Original post by k.andy
Reputation wise: CLEARLY University of Nottingham.

Everything else has to be judged by the individual. Just read around on TSR articles:

Nottingham

Nottingham Trent

Read them all through and you should be able to find the difference.

Although the University Of Nottingham is higher ranked academically, you can not discredit Nottingham Trent's increasingly growing reputation for law. You have to appreciate the fact that the LPC course is held at Trent. Also, if you achieve AAB (340 points) You can take the LLB Law and Professional Practice which includes the LPC, saving you around £7000.

Annual surveys have shown that around 90% of full-time and part-time LPC and GDL students at Nottingham Trent University secure a training contract, paralegal work, or other work, while our Bar course has consistently achieved the highest pupillage success-rate nationally.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 21
Just out of interest, where did you end up going?
Original post by wkd

Interesting thread, I want to know the outcome too lol!
Reply 23
Definitely choose Nottingham. Starting university is a chance to meet new people, so don't be deterred from what you view Nottingham University to be like. If you don't enjoy it, remember it's only 3 years, and Nottingham University will look more impressive than Nottingham Trent on your CV.

EDIT - Just read the date. :facepalm2:

Original post by wkd

Looking at the OP's other posts, they firmed Nottingham and had Trent as an Insurance.
Personally I‘ve been torn between Nottingham and Nottingham Trent and funding isn’t an issue. When i first looked at university I straight away went for Nottingham but then I met a friend who goes Nottingham Trent and she seemed happy and honestly their brochures look so much more interesting and it seems to me like I would be much happier there.
Original post by nottsmay
I'm in my last year of A Levels and have just had my offers back from Nottingham and Nottingham Trent to do Law (both conditional). I'm staying in Nottingham as I already live here and don't want to live too far from my single mum for those who question why I have applied to those two.

I'm sure that most of you will say 'Uni of Nottingham,' for the obvious reason that it has a better reputation but I am looking for guidance in the way that league tables can't tell me.

To answer this please bare in mind that:
1. I Prefer the course at Trent, it allows me to do the LPC (legal practice course - training that you have to do before you can become a solicitor) as part of my degree (which Nottingham doesn't) and it also has a work placement lasting nearly a year which you are paid for. This makes it not only better in terms for preparing for my career, but also cheaper.

2. Only very few of my friends are going to university. Throughout all of my education, my friends have always been not as clever as me (no nicer way to put it) which worries me as I think that Nottingham may be full of the sorts of people I have previously chosen not to hang around with. I have always done well in exams but I have never been drawn to the whole Duke of Edinburgh/Jack Wills lifestyle and to be quite honest would rather get ****ed and smoke. I am worried that this means I would fit in much better at Trent than at Nottingham.

3. I don't need to be told that I would make friends at Nottingham, I know that I would but my point is it would be easier to make friends at Trent (for me anyway, I imagine). This is based on me living here and therefore seeing both sets of students.

4. Obviously, in my mind I would have a better time at Trent, enjoy the course more, have better accommodation (have seen them both) and be around similar people which would mean that I would be less likely to either have a crap time or drop out. So therefore what I am asking is that would this be a stupid decision? How much difference would it make for future employability in particular? I have only had 50% attendance at college so I am used to putting extra work in on my own so please don't go on about which would be better for teaching etc. I am basically asking how much reputation of uni matters to employability if all other factors (work experience, grades etc.) were the same.

Also bare in mind that my previous grades have been mostly As and A*s at GCSE, with one B and that I am on target to achieve AAAA/AAAB at A level. This, in my mind, should set me apart from other Trent students in terms of getting a job (don't want to seem snobby just pointing it out).

Any advice is appreciated :smile: Peoples experiences of the people at both unis and employability after attending either of them would also be a great advantage. Thaaaanks :smile:

what did you choose? did you regret it? are you a solicitor now? I'm invested!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending