The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1.40 is where the sentence starts, if you just want that bit.
Reply 2
Maybe because he's an absolute genius?

Intelligence is more than a few letters on a gilded piece of paper.
And no-one's good at everything, after all.
Reply 3
He went to uni as a mature student maybe? I heard he formed a band after school then decided he wanted to be a physicist.
I still have a chance then.
Reply 5
Maybe he took it when he was 10! :P
Reply 6
Possibly DaTruB.

I want to do marine biology or something similar, i thought I'd be able to achieve that but doubt I'd ever make it to the top, but if I enjoy it then it wouldnt bother me, but this boosts my confidance a little.
Back in the day people used to get scholarships to Oxford by passing (barely) only one A level. Only about 5% of people went to uni 20 years or so ago so there was a lot less competition.
Yeah, and he's obviously a moron, so clearly A-levels are an awesome indicator of capability and success.
A-levels only teach you how to pass an exam and barely about the subject, it doesn't mean he's a moron because exams doesn't measure intelligence but what you memorised during the year
Reply 10
I'm guessing he probably didn't go to school much back then. Even clever people will fail if they don't learn the material.
Reply 11
Most overrated physicist evar
Reply 12
I visited an open day the other week and one of the lecturers, a logician, told me he'd failed A-level Maths.

Although, according to wiki, Brian Cox finished school in 1986 and got his PhD in 1997. Since PhDs are normally three years, master's one and BSc three, that means he probably started uni in 1990, which would probably make him a mature student - universities sometimes reduce entry requirements if that's the case.

Original post by YGB Jammy

It's not so much his physics work he's lauded for, it's more his efforts to popularise science.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
When people say that a levels are not necessarily an indicator of intelligence or an ability in that subject they can often be right.
In a subject like maths if you're actually good at maths then you'll do well, even if you put in minimal effort.
He may have just a really bad day on the exam...it's possible.
A level maths wasn't much harder back then. I'd looked at a paper from the early 70s and yes, it was harder than the further maths I did at A level, but not vastly harder as I understood most of the questions.
It did just say 'A level maths exam' so maybe just the one exam.. and he re sat it... dunno though
Original post by grth
Maybe because he's an absolute genius?

Intelligence is more than a few letters on a gilded piece of paper.
And no-one's good at everything, after all.

What makes him better than any other physics professor, other than the fact that he's also a TV presenter, which has no bearing on his ability to do physics? I'm not saying he isn't, I'm just curious as to why the public hold him in such high regard when, as far as I know, he hasn't actually contributed major to physics (other than publicising it). Which puts him in the same position as most other physics professors. Why does he warrant the title of 'Absolute genius?'. I'm curious.

Secondly, no one's good at everything, true but you need to be pretty damn good at maths to do well in a physics degree. Obviously he's very capable, which is why it's surprising he got a D.
His top lip never moves when he speaks.
Cant believe he got a D. but he is really intelligent though, and i love hes solar system program
Reply 18
Original post by YGB Jammy

Why? he's had more of an impact of getting the masses interested/into science than say Alan Guth or George Smoot, who outside of people who follow phyics have heard of him?

Even top science people often cite Sagan as "the reason they got into science"

I'm sure someone like you would moan sagan wasn't accomplished enough as an scientist but at least he got the newer generation interested
Like the other guy said, I think me meant in one exam and Bill Turnbull says something to him and Cox responds, you can't make out what they say to each other I think it might have been something along the lines of you retook it or something like that.

It probably was just one A level module and there's no doubt he'll be competant at maths, he probably just didn't try. If you had the ability to be the best mathematician in the world, but had never studied the syllabus for an A level maths paper, you would fail.

Latest

Trending

Trending