The Student Room Group

Would universities look at a pending GCSE grade if I retook?

So, I just got rejected from St. Andrews because I don't have a pass in a language at GCSE. I also got rejected from Bristol and Edinburgh, which only leaves me with two offers, from relatively small universities, both for an English Lit + Creative Writing course, when I'd much rather do English Lit + Classics . . .

I don't know what to do. I already half-knew I'd get rejected because of it, but I hoped my A-level grades (predicted AAA+an A for the Extended Project) would make up for four marks under a pass on a language exam I took two years ago . . . but I guess not. :frown:

Eh, I don't even know. I'm disappointed, but I really, really, really wanted to go to St. Andrews. It was the only university that I looked at that just seemed perfect in every way, and I also had my heart set on doing a Classics degree . . . so I don't know, I'm just rambling. I should probably just be glad I got in somewhere at least, even if it's not where I wanted or for the course I wanted most, but I dunno, it just seems like a waste of so much stress and effort (I am not one of those people who breezes through subjects or exams) to get good results to get into a good uni on a course I'd love, when the only unis to accept me want BCC.

My idea was that maybe I could stay at college another year, retake Spanish and do a fast-track fourth A-level or something and reapply next year . . . but I've been told that most unis don't accept fast-track A levels or pending GCSE results, so it'd be a waste of time and effort. Anyone know if that's true? Advice?

/endsrantsorry
Did they actually say that was the reason for rejecting you, or did you just assume it was? I find it very hard to believe that three universities rejected you because you don't have a GCSE in a foreign language.
Reply 2
Yeah, their reasons were all the same - that I did not meet minimum entry requirements - and as my current A-level grades are over/the same as the unis' minimum A-level requirements, and that GCSE is the only thing out of line, it has to be that. :/
Reply 3
If you re-applied next year with a GCSE retake pending they may make you a conditional offer based on the result. What are the other two universities? Are you sure you dont want to go to either of them? Theres always Extra, Clearing and Adjustment this year remember :smile:
Reply 4
to do classics at a top uni i believe you must have at least a b in a gcse foreign language. Some of them - like ucl - even require latin/greek at a level
As I've said in another thread, this is sadly a case of not reading the entrance requirements properly. If a subject is listed as mandatory, regardless of whether its GCSE or A level, they aren't going to accept you without it.

However, what's done is done now and all you can do is look forward.

Universities do accept fast track A levels and pending GCSEs, although obviously it would be a slightly annoying situation to be in if your entire offer was conditional for a year on the basis of the fact you had a pending GCSE which you wouldn't find out until the end of the summer. Other people I'm aware of on TSR have taken Open University beginners language modules during a gap year and ancient languages are included in the GCSE requirements. If you contacted the universities in advance and checked it with them, you could take Latin or Ancient Greek which would evidently benefit you as a classics applicant.

One of other options are to see what is available in UCAS Extra in a few weeks. You will more than likely find that there are more places available for classics or combined than there are for pure English lit, which works in your favour. Then you have the option of rejecting the courses you currently have offers for and reapplying. You can submit an additional PS meaning you could apply for just classics if you wished, then potentially later down the line you could ask the university if you could be reconsidered for the combined course if they offered it. Obviously before applying you need to check that they do not require a GCSE in a language. If you worked quickly at school, you could register to take a language GCSE in the summer or as an external candidate, meaning more universities would be open to you.

Before considering a year out, consider Extra and then later what comes up in clearing and/or adjustment.
This is really unfortunate, I'm sorry. I would recommend retaking if your heart is set on St.Andrews :smile:
When did you hear from Bristol and Edinburgh for Classics and English btw? I know someone who is waiting on the same course :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by clementinemary
This is really unfortunate, I'm sorry. I would recommend retaking if your heart is set on St.Andrews :smile:
When did you hear from Bristol and Edinburgh for Classics and English btw? I know someone who is waiting on the same course :smile:

I heard from them just after the deadline in January, about a week apart. Pass my best wishes to your friend, I hope they get in! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending