The Student Room Group

Warner Bros

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Charlye
how did it go?

Hey Charlye,

Just letting you know that if you have an assessment centre coming up for a position at WB, you don't have anything to stress about. Try to do your research about the position, the company and be yourself.
I was lucky enough to be part of an amazing group of candidates, nobody was arrogant, nobody was an attention seeker and great team players, which is so important.

At the beginning we were 12, 4 people left and than the rest of us went through the interview stage. I don't really understand why those 4 people left, I worked really well with all of them and even though they were a bit introverted, they had really good ideas and not arrogant at all. So, i don't really know why they were cut off, but you know they must've had their reasons.

The interviews were really chill, mostly questions about what we thought about the day, if we wanted to change something about the exercises, as well as questions about your skills and the position you applied for.

Overall, try to be as chill as possible, but not too much, enthusiastic, but make sure you don't overshadow the others and a good team player and friendly. Everyone else is just as stressed out as you are, so don't be the weird competitive person. By the end of the day you will forget you are at an assessment centre, so just have fun because you learn so many things in just a few hours.

Best of luck!

Raluca.
Hey, thanks for the advice! I was wondering did you have to do any excel tests? or numerical reasoning?

Original post by redrouth
Hi, just thought I'd sign up here and make a post about the assessment day I went to since I've been lurking here in preparation for a while :wink:

I went to the marketing assessment day for warner Bros earlier this week. There were about 40 of us at the start (i think), we were all there for various marketing related placements like film/digital/harry potter etc. we were taken to a theatre like room and had to stand up and do a quick ice breaker in front of the other candidates/current interns about why we want the role and which warner bros character we would want to be and then we had some presentation from the current interns about their role. then we were shown two trailers and were put into groups and had to make a presentation in 30 mins about possible marketing campaigns for one of the films.

after presenting them we had lunch/networking with current interns and it this was a really important session because it gives you the chance to show the interns and staff how much you want the placement before they all go into a room and decide who to keep and who to cut so really make the most of it

I was lucky enough to be one of the 13 people they asked to stay for interviews after lunch and the others were sent home. we then had individual tasks which were relevant to what ever placement role we applied for and then we just waited around with the other candidates until we were called for interviews. Although many of us were only invited to interview for one placement role, most people actually had interviews for other departments too which they hadn't applied to initially, but the interns/staff had shown an interest in them and so they wanted to see if they would consider other roles as well.

Just make sure you ask questions, create a good impression, and be enthusiastic. they were some people who just acted as if they were "too cool" to be there and others who just seemed really cocky and arrogant however most of them got sent home.

Overall the day was good, it was much nicer after lunch though when there were less people and you could relax a bit more and enjoy the free food at least

oh and dress code was business although the actual warner brothers staff were much more casual
Hi! thanks so much for your help and advice.
Did you have to do any excel tests? or numerical reasoning?

Original post by raluci
Hey Charlye,

Just letting you know that if you have an assessment centre coming up for a position at WB, you don't have anything to stress about. Try to do your research about the position, the company and be yourself.
I was lucky enough to be part of an amazing group of candidates, nobody was arrogant, nobody was an attention seeker and great team players, which is so important.

At the beginning we were 12, 4 people left and than the rest of us went through the interview stage. I don't really understand why those 4 people left, I worked really well with all of them and even though they were a bit introverted, they had really good ideas and not arrogant at all. So, i don't really know why they were cut off, but you know they must've had their reasons.

The interviews were really chill, mostly questions about what we thought about the day, if we wanted to change something about the exercises, as well as questions about your skills and the position you applied for.

Overall, try to be as chill as possible, but not too much, enthusiastic, but make sure you don't overshadow the others and a good team player and friendly. Everyone else is just as stressed out as you are, so don't be the weird competitive person. By the end of the day you will forget you are at an assessment centre, so just have fun because you learn so many things in just a few hours.

Best of luck!

Raluca.
Reply 103
Original post by Lorenward
Hi! thanks so much for your help and advice.
Did you have to do any excel tests? or numerical reasoning?

Yep, we did, after the cut off, we had an excel and an e-tray exercise as well..which I screwed up major time because i spent too much time on the e-tray exercise, but they said it is not very important, so idk..if it would affect me or not.
If the job description requires advanced Excel skills, you should expect one, but they weren't at all difficult. Make sure you know some functions, absolute and relative values and you should be fine.
Reply 104
Original post by raluci
Hey Charlye,

Best of luck!

Raluca.

Thanks!,

What point do they ask for passports/university verification? Before or after interviews?
Thanks for the advice!
I am really awful at maths and I'm worried about the numerical testing. Was it really hard?
Original post by raluci
Yep, we did, after the cut off, we had an excel and an e-tray exercise as well..which I screwed up major time because i spent too much time on the e-tray exercise, but they said it is not very important, so idk..if it would affect me or not.
If the job description requires advanced Excel skills, you should expect one, but they weren't at all difficult. Make sure you know some functions, absolute and relative values and you should be fine.
Reply 106
Original post by Lorenward
Thanks for the advice!
I am really awful at maths and I'm worried about the numerical testing. Was it really hard?

Hey,

There wasn't a numerical test involved, but the excel test was not difficult at all. The only challenge you might face is that you might not have enough time to finish everything. Don't worry about the tests too much though, they are not a big part of the decision making process. If the job description requires you advanced excel tests, you could revise a few days before the assessment centre just to make sure you know the basics.
Good luck
Reply 107
Has anyone heard back yet? Do you know how long it takes to get a phone call, and do they call everyone?
Original post by Charlye
Has anyone heard back yet? Do you know how long it takes to get a phone call, and do they call everyone?

Have you heard back? They said end of the week right?
Reply 109
Original post by CrimsonTyphoon
Have you heard back? They said end of the week right?

yep i heard back!
I can only say, make the most of unexpected opportunities. At the publicity assessment day, they decided not to send anyone home, but give everyone at least one shot at the interview...

The only thing I found annoying was that they called to reject people, instead of just sending an email. No one needs false hope during this stressful period. Feedback would have been nice too.
Reply 111
Original post by bonfire_heart
I can only say, make the most of unexpected opportunities. At the publicity assessment day, they decided not to send anyone home, but give everyone at least one shot at the interview...

The only thing I found annoying was that they called to reject people, instead of just sending an email. No one needs false hope during this stressful period. Feedback would have been nice too.

I don't think they ended up picking a person for publicity that day because the people started interviewing people at other assessment days looking for an intern hmm
Hi guys, anyone going to the European Technical Operations assessment day this Thursday? :smile: Or has anyone ever been to an assessment day for this/similar role?

As for the assessment day I attended a few weeks ago, it was much more relaxed and fun than I thought it would be, you know. The excel test went from super easy to "what is going on???" in a matter of a few pages haha. Be careful with that and revise excel :smile:

Good luck everyone! x
Reply 113
Hi everyone,

I went to an assessment day 03/03/2016 for European Technical Operations and thought I would post what happened and some general advice for anyone going to one soon or for the applications next year.

The day started off with an ice breaker challenge where we had 5 minutes to answer 3 questions: 1) who you are, 2) why you want the job and 3) which Warner Bros character would you most like to be. 1) Pretty standard introduction of yourself. 2) Don't dwell on the "film is my passion" reason for wanting the job too much as most people did that so try to stand out. 3) You should choose an obscure character and relate the character to traits that you have. We had to do this in front of the other applicants and two managers and the current intern.

After there was an introduction to the company and the role given by the manager and the current intern.

After that there was two group exercises: building the tallest paper tower that would support a small ball at the top for 10 seconds and given the Batman vs Superman film your group had to choose celebrities that would be good to market the film and those that would be bad from a list and give a presentation of your reasons.

Then there was a break for the lunch provided. I think this part of the day is crucial as after lunch all the managers will go outside and make decisions on who to cut loose. Use this time to ask questions from the managers and the current intern. I basically stopped the intern from having his lunch by asking (relevant!) questions haha.

After lunch everyone was given a goody bag of merchandise and blu rays etc and you'll be split into two groups. If you're successful you'll go to the interview one by one.

My interview was with the two managers present during the day and another manager. It lasted about 20 minutes and at no point did I feel stressed or scared that they were trying to catch me out. We talked about my CV and general job interview question like why you want the job etc. It was really friendly and relaxed. The current intern told me they want to hire someone they'll get along with so it's super laid back and friendly. I heard back the same day a few hours later.

General advice would be: ask lots of relevant questions, be honest and not cocky (if you don't like a specific Warner Bros film then say so as they'll appreciate a considered opinion), relax; don't expect the day to be everyone competing against each other as the general atmosphere throughout the day was friendly and at times fun.

I'll happily answer any more general questions anyone has but of course my knowledge is limited to the European Technical Operations assessment day and not any of the others that may require tests etc.
Original post by gregy
Hi everyone,

I went to an assessment day 03/03/2016 for European Technical Operations and thought I would post what happened and some general advice for anyone going to one soon or for the applications next year.

The day started off with an ice breaker challenge where we had 5 minutes to answer 3 questions: 1) who you are, 2) why you want the job and 3) which Warner Bros character would you most like to be. 1) Pretty standard introduction of yourself. 2) Don't dwell on the "film is my passion" reason for wanting the job too much as most people did that so try to stand out. 3) You should choose an obscure character and relate the character to traits that you have. We had to do this in front of the other applicants and two managers and the current intern.

After there was an introduction to the company and the role given by the manager and the current intern.

After that there was two group exercises: building the tallest paper tower that would support a small ball at the top for 10 seconds and given the Batman vs Superman film your group had to choose celebrities that would be good to market the film and those that would be bad from a list and give a presentation of your reasons.

Then there was a break for the lunch provided. I think this part of the day is crucial as after lunch all the managers will go outside and make decisions on who to cut loose. Use this time to ask questions from the managers and the current intern. I basically stopped the intern from having his lunch by asking (relevant!) questions haha.

After lunch everyone was given a goody bag of merchandise and blu rays etc and you'll be split into two groups. If you're successful you'll go to the interview one by one.

My interview was with the two managers present during the day and another manager. It lasted about 20 minutes and at no point did I feel stressed or scared that they were trying to catch me out. We talked about my CV and general job interview question like why you want the job etc. It was really friendly and relaxed. The current intern told me they want to hire someone they'll get along with so it's super laid back and friendly. I heard back the same day a few hours later.

General advice would be: ask lots of relevant questions, be honest and not cocky (if you don't like a specific Warner Bros film then say so as they'll appreciate a considered opinion), relax; don't expect the day to be everyone competing against each other as the general atmosphere throughout the day was friendly and at times fun.

I'll happily answer any more general questions anyone has but of course my knowledge is limited to the European Technical Operations assessment day and not any of the others that may require tests etc.

Thanks so much for the brief.. were the interview questions competency or just general why u want the job why hire me why the role? sort of questions.
anyone got an assessment day? i just got told I have one for creative services
I have this one!! On Wednesday? Been looking all over the internet for help and advice ahaha.
Hi guys, does anyone know what might consist of the assessment centre for the Film Sales placement this year? I’m expecting a numeracy or excel test. But I have no clue what else to expect
Hey I applied for the Integrated Communications Apprenticeship, I was wondering if anyone has also applied and heard anything back yet?
I haven't applied for this one, but another one and I still haven't heard back. I think by this point you would have been unsuccessful (I have interviewed with WB in January for another apprenticeship and they let me know 2 weeks after the closing date that I got the phone interview) but obviously anything could happen.
Original post by HarryMecha
Hey I applied for the Integrated Communications Apprenticeship, I was wondering if anyone has also applied and heard anything back yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending