The Student Room Group

A2 aqa geography june 2011 official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GraviticWar
So, the 7-marker on Conflicts...was it only me who found themselves almost just repeating what the extract said! :L I think that I picked out these things anyway, historical origins<>territorial disputes, cultural origins, an external body trying to resolve, negotiations trying to resolve(that's all that I can remember anyway).

- Curtis

Hello big C, yeah i had the same problem, im not sure how you could have really got 7 marks off that extract when all you can do is purely use the knowledge provided. Either way, the moroccans are greedy/sneaky little minxes.
Original post by erselinger

Arrgh I did this too, glad to see i'm not the only one! All my booklets were attached together with a tag so I hope it doesn't matter. I have emailed the exam officer at school to check that it's ok so just waiting for a reply now!

just got the email, all papers will definitely be marked whether you filled in the box on the front of the first booklet or not. So don't panic!
Original post by Josh.Holloway
Hello big C, yeah i had the same problem, im not sure how you could have really got 7 marks off that extract when all you can do is purely use the knowledge provided. Either way, the moroccans are greedy/sneaky little minxes.

Hey! Yes, I agree. I wasn't 100% sure how to use the information/knowledge in an answer. Was I suppose to quote for example, the size of the land area and all the borders and then say this shows it is a conflict of territorial origin. I often felt that I was just repeating the extract and then adding on a comment at the end about how this shows origin or resolution. It felt like I wasted allot of time repeating the extract, I don't know how else you could have done it? Lol, yes, very sneaky! :biggrin:

- Curtis
Arrgh I did this too, glad to see i'm not the only one! All my booklets were attached together with a tag so I hope it doesn't matter. I have emailed the exam officer at school to check that it's ok so just waiting for a reply now!

ah ok please let me know! i was just in such a rush at the end as the guy came round to collect the papers, i hadn't filled any of the details in so i rushed all that and just forgot about the small box on the front book
Um who answered the world cities essay?
And what did you talk about?
because i talked about Hulme, Curitiba And Sao Paulo :/
i just need 60ums omgggg i hope i get it!!
Reply 1545
Original post by sfriday
yeah..? ha, i did visit the websites, just struggled to find very much on them

AH right, basically one site was very bias and only mentioned the good points of the development

Well, that exam was TERRIBLE.

I did the Ecosystems and World Cities SQ's and the Development essay.

I'd also learnt tectonics but I thought both the qu's on that were awful so had to do the ecosystems SQ.

Didn't like the questions for that atall- I had banked on urban wasteland etc not coming up as it was basically last years question, but what a surprise it came up! Just my luck. Thought the photo was a rubbish thing to 'comment on' and I hadn't really been taught about it?

Got the beginning and end of the colonisation of wasteland but went blank about the middle bit so wrote very vaguely. Routeways was okay but I couldn't for the life of me remember "Oxford Ragwort"!

World cities SQ- why was it about regneration again?!?! The maps were ridiculous as there was no place names so I kept using "south of the least deprived bit" and vague things like that, but I don't think you could've done anything else? And I read that some people went into like reasons for, but I think I only did that a couple of times.

Urban decline we'd barely learnt and I thought it wouldn't come up, but said some points about tenement council blocks, high density of less economically well off people (therefore might be less skilled & less educated) Increased crime, de-industrialisation, briefly mention of suburbanisation/counter-urb....can't really remember what else but didn't know specific places so made educated guesses like "de-industrialisation in Sheffield of the Steelworks" and things like that.

For a regeneration scheme I wrote about the Laganside Corporation from the 4b AIB from January- tried to remember what I could, the "effectiveness" part of the question threw me a bit though. The "Hulme" example everyone seems to have used I'd never heard of :s-smilie:

Development & Globalisation- both the SQ questions and essay were good but as you can't do both, I hated the tectonics qus and the World Cities essay looked terrible I decided to do the Development essay.

Quite liked NIC's as an area to discuss, although I basically argued that TNC's were the driving force and that NIC's were a by-product of their globalisation efforts. I didn't actually define globalisation :/ Wrote about :
- NIC's not existing without TNC investment- how the Asian Tigers became too expensive to produce in so TNC's went elsewhere (vaguely wrote about Malaysia)
- NIC's prosperity needed to sell their products- example of Apple and 50% of stuff being sold in Asia, but then said that these countries would not have the prosperity if it weren't for the TNC
- TNC's need NIC's to produce goods & at cheaper cost- but the fact that people buy into a brand, and may pay more for that brand if it cost more to produce them. Went on about Mc Donalds and Walmart and how they don't really rely on manufacturing in NIC's, but still have influence in the countries- Walmart 40 stores in China etc
- Said a bit about BRIC's- how they are going to be v.influential in the future, how India & China who'd had TNC investment and were NIC's are booming industries (India- service, China- 2nd largest economy) but then about how Brazil and Russia haven't had really been NICs & had TNC investment, so that being NIC's wasn't the only reason that economies and countries can have an increasing influence in globalisation
- Briefly wrote about how the world was getting smaller due to improvements in technology, communication and transportation- didn't say that much though but just thought it was another point...
... probably said a tiny bit more but can't remember.
Read that some people wrote about the WTO and trade blocs- I didn't! Probably should have though but didn't know how I'd incorporate that well enough into my argument.

Felt like most of the paper (other than development) was either on parts of the topics that were in the exam last year, or were on like the tiny parts of topics- Where was anything in the SQ's about Distribution of earthquakes, any of the "isations" in world cities or anything on seres or biomes or energy within an ecosystem, or ecotourism??!?!
Needed a B/A, very doubtful that I will get that based on some of the rubbish I wrote. Lets hope the grade boundaries are LOW.

Overall, I didn't like the exam and I think AQA hate me :angry::frown:.
(edited 12 years ago)
wot other options were available for world citys except hulme
So I have the Pre-release/cyclone paper on Friday and think I should be revising, but I have no idea what to do or how to prepare or what the paper will be like? I did the terrible Edexcel bio paper, and need at least 1 A*, so its going to have to come from geog, so the pressures on, because its not my strongest subject...
What's everyone else doing?
Reply 1549
Original post by sarahhelizabethh

Well, that exam was TERRIBLE.

Felt like most of the paper (other than development) was either on parts of the topics that were in the exam last year, or were on like the tiny parts of topics-

YES! How annoying! I think they were trying not to be too predictable :s-smilie: *sigh*
Reply 1550
Rightt overall I've got 226 points so far and need 54 points to get a B overall (280 points) does anyone know how many marks that means i need to get in the exam just gone yesterday? please cos I'm panicking
Reply 1551
Original post by idealized
Um who answered the world cities essay?
And what did you talk about?
because i talked about Hulme, Curitiba And Sao Paulo :/
i just need 60ums omgggg i hope i get it!!

Heyy, I did this essay and talked about transport, waste, housing and pollution so I talked about Curitiba and Sao paulo as well! I used London docklands instead of hulme but they're similar. Haha you've made me feel a bit better!
Original post by jt_111
YES! How annoying! I think they were trying not to be too predictable :s-smilie: *sigh*

Well if they were, they failed pretty hard on PT S/Q, D & G S/Q & the Conflicts 40-marker, I predicted them all! Better luck next time, AQA.

- Curtis
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Candii_Canee
I did a combination of East -timore ( focused on social, economic and political factors)
I also wrote a bit about the somalian civil war. how without goverment stability it lead to piracy and also how other countries took advantage of the instable goverment and started dumping hazardous waste near the coast. ( so economic and envriomental-kinda of).
Sorry for the essay!

That sounds pretty good to me!
Reply 1554
I answered CMDC for the World Cities short answer case study of partnership redevelopment....is this wrong?! Most people did Hulme but surely a UDC is a partnership between local business partners?
Original post by nicki 101

glad someone els did the ecosystems essay! finally someone i could compare notes with well i focused on Madagascar what was your focus ?

Mine was focused on the Gola forest in Sierra Leone. But I think I may have done it wrong *was panickng* and talked about what they're doing that prevents biodiversity from being maintained so that the Mende population can survive. But then I also mentioned how they could live sustainably through different methods such as agroforest to allow biodiversity to be maintained whilst producing the highest yield for them, and also by preventing commercial logging/mining/hunting. Then tried to be synoptic and said something that the country is very poor and that food security would come first and so they wouldn't care about the consequences of exploiting the environment until they have that security and then can find more sustainable methods. But I had written that in like the last 2 minutes and wasn't sure whether I made that point clear enough :tongue:

I don't know I blagged! I was the only one in my class who didn't do the conflict essay :colondollar:

Original post by In_Infamy
Because it's not to do with the altitude *itself*...but rather, the shape of the land. :frown:

I see, that's just being fussy :tongue: But there wasn't a lot you could talk about either for 10 marks, well especially with the pathetic little paragraphs you get in the book.

For the prerelase, I'm probably being stupid but I swear there is only one website? the DFID?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1556
I'm so annoyed, I just keep thinking about this exam and what stuff I should have written! :| Anyone else doing this?
Original post by l0livia
I'm so annoyed, I just keep thinking about this exam and what stuff I should have written! :| Anyone else doing this?

Yes & still doing it with the History exam that I sat last week...:redface:

- Curtis
Original post by SAMIR.NASRI
wot other options were available for world citys except hulme

I did the greenwhich millennium village development-the English partnership.
Original post by l0livia

Same I refuse to look back at the sections that came up in my notes/textbook so I can't see how badly it went. I knew most of the things, but as soon as I got into the exam it all went.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending