The Student Room Group

League of Legends thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paddy__power
Just played a ranked game and went 6/2/19 with Mundo. Had so many kills stolen by the same person but I don't mind ^^

I have been the best player/played the best in both of my ranked games now at 1200 ELO so I'm hoping this means I can at least go upwards :tongue:

Nice one! You gain so much more elo per win during your placement matches, so good luck!

If you win enough then you'll reach the magical place where you don't get retards on your team (since everyone starts at 1200 rating), and suddenly ranked games will become fun.

Unfortunately I left my placement matches with a 50:50 win/loss :frown:
Original post by Architecture-er
Nice one! You gain so much more elo per win during your placement matches, so good luck!

If you win enough then you'll reach the magical place where you don't get retards on your team (since everyone starts at 1200 rating), and suddenly ranked games will become fun.

I think I got 30:80 win/loss? I then dropped to 800 and haven't climbed out again since then, but i'm up at about 950 now, so i'm definitely getting better.
Original post by Quornslice
I think I got 30:80 win/loss? I then dropped to 800 and haven't climbed out again since then, but i'm up at about 950 now, so i'm definitely getting better.

Ouch that sucks..

I won't pretend that I'm amazing at LoL, I need to learn a lot about how to play/itemise against certain champions, but currently all my games are won or loss based on who has the feeder, which makes every game either exasperating or tedious :biggrin:

There are ten placement matches right?

I am 2:1 ATM with the loss being completely not my fault. I'm tempted to play Tryn or Nasus etc in these matches so I can actually carry if my team suck but I prefer to be more trusting XD

How does the placement stuff work then exactly?
Ouch that sucks..

I won't pretend that I'm amazing at LoL, I need to learn a lot about how to play/itemise against certain champions, but currently all my games are won or loss based on who has the feeder, which makes every game either exasperating or tedious :biggrin:

The same for me but 1 in 20 matches is excellent where both teams are good and it is back and forth all the time.

I have discovered I love testing people as much as playing the game in normals because I tell them that if anyone rages at someone constantly I will AFK :awesome:

Their responses let me know instantly who is a prick and unfortunately there are always one or two.

I'm tempted to join The Gentleman's Club to ensure no raging :yes:
There are ten placement matches right?

I am 2:1 ATM with the loss being completely not my fault. I'm tempted to play Tryn or Nasus etc in these matches so I can actually carry if my team suck but I prefer to be more trusting XD

How does the placement stuff work then exactly?

Yeah, 10 matches unless you're so incredibly 50:50, in which case you may play a few more until it places you, for example I played 11 games.

Simply put, if you've never played ranked before then you have a hidden rating of 1200, and when you lose or win games during your placement games your rating will go up by +/- 49 points for each game. This is all hidden until you're placed, at which point you can see your rating. From then on the system will try and make you win 50% of your games, so if you're winning more than that then you'll gain rating, and if you lose more than that you'll drop rating, until you're playing with people of a similar level.

The problem with all this is that you make up a tiny portion of your team, and the game doesn't rank you on your individual performance. Hence people raging and being fearful of 'elo hell' - which is anything below 1200 rating. It's considered hell because the chances of getting fail team-mates is much higher, since you can be placed with people just getting into ranked matches. And, of course, since any level 30 can join ranked games, irrespective of their 'normal' rating, you can get some matches with total idiots, as they hit you on their way all the way down to ~600 ranked rating :biggrin:

The way I see it, bad players in ranked ( and I mean bad players) are like rain. If you get high enough you can climb past the clouds, and then you can't get rained on! :biggrin:
Ok, so I bought graves to learn AD Carry with. He has solid damage output (AOE as well), and nice manouverability. He also has some pretty nice defense too, so I think he should suit me quite well. Now I just need to get a bit better at last hitting - did a custom and got 120 cs in 15 minutes I think? (Not against anyone, just getting a feel for his last hitting capabilities.) I'm also saving my IP for Riven, 'cause I want to learn how to play her solo top (and to play solo top really...), and I LOVE her character design.
I suppose though, if you play enough ranked games then you'll eventually end up at your skill level, similar to normal games.

Ranked games are just so unstable because teams aren't formed based on a person's rating in normal games, so you get teams made up of people with 1000 ranked games played alongside people with 10, because they have the same rating. But the guy with 10 games played may actually have a skill level far below that of the people he's playing with. However, it's fairly safe to say that the guy with 1000 games played is on par with the skill level of his ranking.
Yeah, 10 matches unless you're so incredibly 50:50, in which case you may play a few more until it places you, for example I played 11 games.

Simply put, if you've never played ranked before then you have a hidden rating of 1200, and when you lose or win games during your placement games your rating will go up by +/- 49 points for each game. This is all hidden until you're placed, at which point you can see your rating. From then on the system will try and make you win 50% of your games, so if you're winning more than that then you'll gain rating, and if you lose more than that you'll drop rating, until you're playing with people of a similar level.

The problem with all this is that you make up a tiny portion of your team, and the game doesn't rank you on your individual performance. Hence people raging and being fearful of 'elo hell' - which is anything below 1200 rating. It's considered hell because the chances of getting fail team-mates is much higher, since you can be placed with people just getting into ranked matches. And, of course, since any level 30 can join ranked games, irrespective of their 'normal' rating, you can get some matches with total idiots, as they hit you on their way all the way down to ~600 ranked rating :biggrin:

The way I see it, bad players in ranked ( and I mean bad players) are like rain. If you get high enough you can climb past the clouds, and then you can't get rained on! :biggrin:

Interesting that there is no variance in points depending on the quality of opponent.

I may just play all ranked games today so I can get placed. I'm not feeling great but I don't care if I'm low. Trying to climb out should be fun. Where are you?
Ok, so I bought graves to learn AD Carry with. He has solid damage output (AOE as well), and nice manouverability. He also has some pretty nice defense too, so I think he should suit me quite well. Now I just need to get a bit better at last hitting - did a custom and got 120 cs in 15 minutes I think? (Not against anyone, just getting a feel for his last hitting capabilities.) I'm also saving my IP for Riven, 'cause I want to learn how to play her solo top (and to play solo top really...), and I LOVE her character design.

Sweet. Riven is cool :smile:
Sweet. Riven is cool :smile:

Yep. And her voice is a LOT more feminie than I thought it would be O.o
Yep. And her voice is a LOT more feminie than I thought it would be O.o

Haha.

I'm finally learning all the characters I own and have never tried (I bought a collection).

Just tried WW - he is so good late game. I was quite easily munching a completely fed Fiora.
Hating this game more and more.

Someone just called solo top as graves.

Previous game cait went 0/20/3.
Original post by cambo211
Hating this game more and more.

Someone just called solo top as graves.

Previous game cait went 0/20/3.

lol.

I just had one of those games where I was 4/0/4 with a champ and owning at like 10 mins and then after that every single time I started to fight someone in lane or the jungle there would be someone else there - for the whole game. Fun. We still won.
Normal draft queue.

Get put with paddy.

What're the chances, LOL.
Normal draft queue.

Get put with paddy.

Had to be the worst game I had played in ages :lol:

I finished with a positive score though so w/e :h:
Normal draft queue.

Get put with paddy.

omg that's AWESOME :biggrin:
Normal draft queue.

Get put with paddy.

Stuff like this NEVER happens to me. Ever.
Owned some face with Cho. Such a bully in lane.
Just had a game as Graves with a Rumble support, who stole all my kills, pushed the lane and stopped me from last hitting. Not to mention he never warded. Ever. -.-

Quick Reply

Latest