The Student Room Group

Malaria cured in 1 day with only 3 pills!

Hey everyone,

Every year, 1.5 upto 2.7 million people die of malaria and 350 upto 500 million people are suffering from this disease.
Every 30 seconds, a child under the age of 5 dies of malaria in Africa.

So good news. :smile:

A Belgian medical research team have found a new cure for malaria (a serious disease carried by mosquitoes which causes periods of fever). According to Dafra Pharma it's a "scientific breakthrough". The pills will be sold in Africa at the start of 2006. :smile:

The older procedure consists of taking 24 pills in 3 days and they don't necessarily cure the patient. These new pills do so very affectively.

Link to the Dutch article

I was wondering if people in Europe can get malaria from mosquito bites as well, or if anyone of you has already had malaria before (perhaps from travelling?).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
groove :biggrin:
hopefully it will get circulated to the people who need it
also my mates going to kenya next year - this will make her feel better
Reply 2
killerbee
groove :biggrin:
hopefully it will get circulated to the people who need it
also my mates going to kenya next year - this will make her feel better

Yes I'm hoping that the treatment can be carried out for free for poor people. :smile: Collecting money/advertising/Live Aid-like things could be done to make it possible.
Reply 3
I caught it on the 2nd last day of a month long trip to Tanzania. Made the return (18 hour!) flight very uncomfortable. It was only a mild strain though, cleared up in a couple of days with some pills.
You know who to thank for the new drug though? The guy who's been singlehandedly funding the research, more or less, the oh so evil Bill Gates.
Reply 4
Apagg
I caught it on the 2nd last day of a month long trip to Tanzania. Made the return (18 hour!) flight very uncomfortable. It was only a mild strain though, cleared up in a couple of days with some pills.
You know who to thank for the new drug though? The guy who's been singlehandedly funding the research, more or less, the oh so evil Bill Gates.

Doh. :rolleyes: Ah well, I'll just keep the name Jansen in mind, 'cos Bill Gates knows nothing about drugs medication.

:hugs: for the bad flight.
Reply 5
:dancing: :dancing2: that is great news yay!! :champ:
Nice to hear... but I thought Malaria stays in your body for the rest of your life?
Reply 7
Generally mosquitoes in European countries are not the kind that can give you malaria. However, on going to tropical countries you can most definitely catch it especially if you're not on anti-malarials (although there are resistant strains in some areas.

I'll have a look later to see if there's any more scientific papers on it.
Reply 8
well if this can be given to the right people (not rich europeans but the locals, mainly young children, older people and pregnant women) this will be a breakthrough.

when I was Kenya its amazing how tolerant they are to malaria. Its almost like a common cold to them. the average european can withstand 3-5 parts (dont know technical term) of malaria in their blood before they get ill. The average in kenya is 200-250 before they feel ill at all.
Reply 9
Helenia
Generally mosquitoes in European countries are not the kind that can give you malaria. However, on going to tropical countries you can most definitely catch it especially if you're not on anti-malarials (although there are resistant strains in some areas.

I'll have a look later to see if there's any more scientific papers on it.

Yeah people take pills before they leave or get a shot or sth, apparantly. :smile: It's a good thing we don't get those mosqs here (I'm allergic as it is! :eek: ) but I hope the pills will reach the people who need it most.

MattG
when I was Kenya its amazing how tolerant they are to malaria. Its almost like a common cold to them. the average european can withstand 3-5 parts (dont know technical term) of malaria in their blood before they get ill. The average in kenya is 200-250 before they feel ill at all.

Well that's good news. :smile: Although 'feeling ill' and being ill is an entirely different matter!
Reply 10
I would be more inclined to believe in this new malaria miracle drug if I could read about it :frown:
Reply 12
MattG
well if this can be given to the right people (not rich europeans but the locals, mainly young children, older people and pregnant women) this will be a breakthrough.

I agree. My first thought was, "that's all very well, but how much are they charging?"

I'm Kenyan, and had malaria twice while I lived there (both times before I was 8 years old). We were shot up with medicine every time we were in hospital, just in case it was malaria. We didn't take anti-malaria tablets or wear repellant, all we did was use mosquito nets - my mum never had malaria once.

Edit: someone mentioned that malaria stays in your blood forever afterwards. I was told 12 years, then you're completely clear, but I'm not sure if that's right.
Reply 13
Why is this not in British news? The only comprehensive article I could find was from South Africa! http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=256344&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__international_news/

I know malaria ia very rare in the UK but it's still an important development for other countries!
Reply 14
Kavanne
Why is this not in British news? The only comprehensive article I could find was from South Africa! http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=256344&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__international_news/

I know malaria ia very rare in the UK but it's still an important development for other countries!

You would think that, but apparently people aren't too fussed. :confused: I only found this article because it's a Belgian company (read it on 'MSN Today').

Mata

I'm Kenyan, and had malaria twice while I lived there (both times before I was 8 years old). We were shot up with medicine every time we were in hospital, just in case it was malaria. We didn't take anti-malaria tablets or wear repellant, all we did was use mosquito nets - my mum never had malaria once.

Edit: someone mentioned that malaria stays in your blood forever afterwards. I was told 12 years, then you're completely clear, but I'm not sure if that's right.

Do you think there are still traces left of it in your body then? :smile: Perhaps you can have it checked early next year and take the new pills to get rid of it completely.
--------------
Kavanne
I would be more inclined to believe in this new malaria miracle drug if I could read about it :frown:

Don't trust me do ya? :p:
Reply 15
thefish_uk
Nice to hear... but I thought Malaria stays in your body for the rest of your life?

a couple of types do. most doesn't though. you lose it and immunity after a few years.
if it doesnt kill you first.
Reply 16
Navindu
a couple of types do. most doesn't though. you lose it and immunity after a few years.
if it doesnt kill you first.

The article says that the 3 pills get rid of the infection completely, thus is a lot more effective. :smile: Didn't know it stayed in your body for so long but I guess it won't anymore when they say 'completely'.
Reply 17
this is good news after a lot of number of years fighting malaria we have come to a big advantage, however i do hope that this will forever eradicate the meaningless deaths of people
Reply 18
hugatree
The article says that the 3 pills get rid of the infection completely, thus is a lot more effective. :smile: Didn't know it stayed in your body for so long but I guess it won't anymore when they say 'completely'.

if it really works against all 4 malaria types and doesn't form resistant strains straight away then great.
but they should stockpile masses of the drug and distribute it to as many as possible during one wet season.
not slowly introduce it.
Reply 19
Navindu
if it really works against all 4 malaria types and doesn't form resistant strains straight away then great.
but they should stockpile masses of the drug and distribute it to as many as possible during one wet season.
not slowly introduce it.

yes as i fear of resistant strains, cuz thats what eventually happens.. thats how nature works

Latest

Trending

Trending