The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
nasht
yes as i fear of resistant strains, cuz thats what eventually happens.. thats how nature works

only if you let it.
Reply 21
natural selection and mutation!
--------------
Navindu
only if you let it.

this is all up to nature, no humanly way to control their genetic mutation
Reply 22
hugatree
Do you think there are still traces left of it in your body then? :smile: Perhaps you can have it checked early next year and take the new pills to get rid of it completely.

Well, I've had it in my blood for 9 years and nothing awful has happened to me. The way I was told it, its just the virus that stays, not the symptoms, unless you come down with it again somehow.

Anyway, I'm glad to have had it, as malaria protects you from sickle cell anaemia.
Reply 23
Mata
Well, I've had it in my blood for 9 years and nothing awful has happened to me. The way I was told it, its just the virus that stays, not the symptoms, unless you come down with it again somehow.

Anyway, I'm glad to have had it, as malaria protects you from sickle cell anaemia.

Not quite - it's the other way around - sickle cell protects you from malaria, which is why it is MUCH more prevalent in malarious regions than other areas. Sickle cell is a genetic disorder which either you develop or you don't; having malaria will not affect this, but sickle cell sufferers are less likely to get severe malaria.

And the malaria parasite that lives in your blood is a protozoa, not a virus :wink:
Reply 24
Jaetie

this is all up to nature, no humanly way to control their genetic mutation

not true, we affect it everyday - usually in a bad way. but we can get past it when we are smart about it quite easily.
requires co-ordinated effort though
Reply 25
Helenia
Not quite - it's the other way around - sickle cell protects you from malaria, which is why it is MUCH more prevalent in malarious regions than other areas. Sickle cell is a genetic disorder which either you develop or you don't; having malaria will not affect this, but sickle cell sufferers are less likely to get severe malaria.

And the malaria parasite that lives in your blood is a protozoa, not a virus :wink:

everyone carring sickle cell 'devlops' it. its more a question of how symptomatic you are.
Reply 26
Navindu
not true, we affect it everyday - usually in a bad way. but we can get past it when we are smart about it quite easily.
requires co-ordinated effort though

what i meant was you cant control how nature wants the organisms to mutate and evolve. natural selection in the process - until one of these lucky mutations finally gain resistence and starts multiplying
Reply 27
Navindu
everyone carring sickle cell 'devlops' it. its more a question of how symptomatic you are.

What I meant is, if you have the gene you will develop it to some degree (though some people can live fairly normal lives as long as they avoid strenuous exercise); if you don't you won't, regardless of malaria status. But if you do have the gene then you're less likely to get malaria.
Reply 28
Mata

Isn't that the same as with all medication? Like when you get the flu and you use antibiotics, the cells that battle the disease are actually the disease itsself (or something :confused: ) and keep you from getting it again 'cos these anti-bodies stay in your body.

Unfortunately, there are about 500 kinds of flues you can get, so you just get them over and over every year. :rolleyes: Or so I was told by our biology teacher. It's been a few years and I might as well be wrong.

Latest

Trending

Trending