The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannah9000
i got a job - if a RUBBISH job!! i now have 5 less hours of the day to fill

have you found anything yet? stupid bloody recession!

Yay, well done! I've not been so lucky yet :frown: Still searching, but feeling less and less hopeful about being able to find anything...
University of York
York
Original post by LostHorizons
Yay, well done! I've not been so lucky yet :frown: Still searching, but feeling less and less hopeful about being able to find anything...

:frown: i applied for the job 2 months ago, and they only gave me 15 hours a week, across 5 days. when i applied for 39 hours and said i would CONSIDER 25, so i'm a bit annoyed but you just have to take whatever you can. travelling or even like a weeks holiday is never gonna happen, or savings for uni or any of the things i wanted to do!

plus i've almost finished my peep show box set, what will i do with my days then! might have to invest in the SATC boxset to kill more time since i won't start the job for another month at the least.
gah!! stupid gap year. stupid myself for doing **** in history and not getting my grades and being delayed then not getting my accomodation email forever :frown: it literally has cost me a year of my life. everyone should learn a lesson from me and REVISE! even though i did loads of revision...
:frown: i applied for the job 2 months ago, and they only gave me 15 hours a week, across 5 days. when i applied for 39 hours and said i would CONSIDER 25, so i'm a bit annoyed but you just have to take whatever you can. travelling or even like a weeks holiday is never gonna happen, or savings for uni or any of the things i wanted to do!

plus i've almost finished my peep show box set, what will i do with my days then! might have to invest in the SATC boxset to kill more time since i won't start the job for another month at the least.
gah!! stupid gap year. stupid myself for doing **** in history and not getting my grades and being delayed then not getting my accomodation email forever :frown: it literally has cost me a year of my life. everyone should learn a lesson from me and REVISE! even though i did loads of revision...

It's still better than nothing :tongue: I think I'd prefer part time work to full time as I'd like to have lots of spare time and I'm not too fussed about saving up money, but I can't really afford to be picky at the moment!

You should watch all of Peep Show again :awesome: I've seen it all at least 5 or 6 times and it still hasn't got boring yet :biggrin: Are you doing anything this year to keep you in the habit of working/not completely failing at academic stuff? I read lots, but I'm worried I'll get to York and be really stupid in seminars and forget how to write essays because I'm not in the habit of it any more :sad:
(edited 13 years ago)
It's still better than nothing :tongue: I do random bits of cleaning for family to get by, but yeah, saving up/living well really isn't happening...

You should watch all of Peep Show again :awesome: I've seen it all at least 5 or 6 times and it still hasn't got boring yet :biggrin: Are you doing anything this year to keep you in the habit of working/not completely failing at academic stuff? I read lots, but I'm worried I'll get to York and be really stupid in seminars and forget how to write essays because I'm not in the habit of it any more :sad:

my last jobs pay packet is just not lasting very long at all, i spent the first 2/3rds in about a month, foolishly thinking i would be able to get a new job cos my old job was great for the CV. but alas no. i love hoovering, to be paid for it aswell would be awesome!!

i only began watching the series like 2 weeks ago, i'm currently half way through season 5, and then i'm gonna lend it to my bf. i did get all of seasons 1-6 boxset for only 24 quid, such a bargain!! amazon stole most of my paycheck haha

literally, i have done NOTHING academic, i've been reading some vaguely photography/nature books about brown bears/pandas/polar bears, but this is hardly academic! i've had such bad headaches that the thought of reading anything with small texts is just painful!!
i can't even imagine having to do work in the evenings and stuff, i think i need to stop being so addicted to sleep, i always sleep for a goood 11/12 hours! i'm sure we'll get back into it, it's just another thing on my worry list! lately i can't sleep for obsessing about york, i just enter like weird hypothetical/awake dream mode!
Gap years seem to be good at making you obsess over the university :tongue: I'm counting down the days on my computer, bought a few course textbooks and read some of them already (including the Bible, because I'm that creepily dedicated and geeky), and I don't want to think about how much time I've wasted obsessing over accommodation...and I'm still no nearer to having settled on where I want to pick :sad:
Gap years seem to be good at making you obsess over the university :tongue: I'm counting down the days on my computer, bought a few course textbooks and read some of them already (including the Bible, because I'm that creepily dedicated and geeky), and I don't want to think about how much time I've wasted obsessing over accommodation...and I'm still no nearer to having settled on where I want to pick :sad:

ah i should definetely buy some course textbooks, what a great idea - plus maybe my parents might even buy me them for doing something productive! (whysoserious, feel free to step in and recommend) :P
you read the bible? for your course? or for god?!

i REALLY can't decide between a) james band 3, b) alcuin band 3 c) alcuin band 4
at least i have three main choices :P have you made a top list yet??
i sorta hope with james if i live closer to the gym i MIGHT actually go haha, but alcuin SO CLOSE TO THE LIBRARY! now what's more important, success or not becoming obese cos i eat too many takeaways
ah i should definetely buy some course textbooks, what a great idea - plus maybe my parents might even buy me them for doing something productive! (whysoserious, feel free to step in and recommend) :P
you read the bible? for your course? or for god?!

i REALLY can't decide between a) james band 3, b) alcuin band 3 c) alcuin band 4
at least i have three main choices :P have you made a top list yet??
i sorta hope with james if i live closer to the gym i MIGHT actually go haha, but alcuin SO CLOSE TO THE LIBRARY! now what's more important, success or not becoming obese cos i eat too many takeaways

100% for my course :tongue: and I haven't read all of it yet. It's the most tedious thing I've ever picked up :sad:

I keep making top lists, but then I change my mind :tongue: I'm put off Alcuin by people on here saying it's very antisocial, although I'm not sure really how true that is. I don't want Goodricke, Halifax or Fairfax because I'd prefer to live somewhere more central. I'm faaairly sure I want ensuite, and I like James at the moment, or Langwith if it isn't catered next year, but I'm also tempted to pick standard Derwent or old Vanbrugh and save oodles of money. I'm too indecisive :tongue:

Isn't the gym really expensive to join? I looked a few weeks ago and the prices seemed ridiculous, although I don't know how much gyms normally cost. All students at Leeds get free gym membership :sad:
100% for my course :tongue: and I haven't read all of it yet. It's the most tedious thing I've ever picked up :sad:

I keep making top lists, but then I change my mind :tongue: I'm put off Alcuin by people on here saying it's very antisocial, although I'm not sure really how true that is. I don't want Goodricke, Halifax or Fairfax because I'd prefer to live somewhere more central. I'm faaairly sure I want ensuite, and I like James at the moment, or Langwith if it isn't catered next year, but I'm also tempted to pick standard Derwent or old Vanbrugh and save oodles of money. I'm too indecisive :tongue:

Isn't the gym really expensive to join? I looked a few weeks ago and the prices seemed ridiculous, although I don't know how much gyms normally cost. All students at Leeds get free gym membership :sad:

hahaha, that's commitment for your course! i went to a catholic school, glad to get away from all that!!
i really don't think alcuin is antisocial, of my one night of alcuin, it was in a quiet block and everyone was still social. the most lovely people ever! i think it's all what you make of it really! i think en suite is good, espesh in the first year when everything else is hard enough, and it's not TOO expensive compared to some other unis!
derwent and normal van are kinda, really 1960s mouldy looking! i'm not keen - but they are such a good location so its swings and roundabouts

yeah i think the gym is quite expensive for a student gym - but the gyms where i live are SO expensive, all these stupid kids of investment bankers! everyone at my school was a member of a gym from like year 9 or something lame! SO EXPENSIVE! can't wait to meet some normal, unspoilt people
that's well lucky for leeds!! i think it's a good idea to promote healthiness. yesterday i exercised in the hope of some endorphins, but instead i became really grumpy, tired and emotional. massive fail :P
Reply 188

theres some jobs going at revolution york if you fancy living up here for an extra 8 months!! :p:
hahaha, that's commitment for your course! i went to a catholic school, glad to get away from all that!!
i really don't think alcuin is antisocial, of my one night of alcuin, it was in a quiet block and everyone was still social. the most lovely people ever! i think it's all what you make of it really! i think en suite is good, espesh in the first year when everything else is hard enough, and it's not TOO expensive compared to some other unis!
derwent and normal van are kinda, really 1960s mouldy looking! i'm not keen - but they are such a good location so its swings and roundabouts

yeah i think the gym is quite expensive for a student gym - but the gyms where i live are SO expensive, all these stupid kids of investment bankers! everyone at my school was a member of a gym from like year 9 or something lame! SO EXPENSIVE! can't wait to meet some normal, unspoilt people
that's well lucky for leeds!! i think it's a good idea to promote healthiness. yesterday i exercised in the hope of some endorphins, but instead i became really grumpy, tired and emotional. massive fail :P

Mm, it's so awkward that the most important thing in college choice, who you end up living with, is the one thing you have no control over :sad: I do quite like the look of Alcuin, and library proximity is a big plus :biggrin: And yeah, I really like Derwent's location. I wouldn't be that bothered about the accommodation being old, but I would quite like ensuite and I'd like a nice kitchen which I don't think the older accommodation tends to offer :tongue: And Derwent seems to have a reputation for being mega loud and sociable, which I wouldn't want. I want somewhere sociable and friendly, but not too loud and boozy :redface:

I think I'd use the gym if it was free, but I'm not bothered enough to want to fork out money for it. I'll just go jogging instead :tongue:

Lol tell me about it.

It sounds absurd that I would be hanging out in NYC and dreaming of university, but while I am having an incredible time here, part of me is really looking forward to university; the independence... the lectures... living somewhere new... that it's in England lol. And I've read basically everything there is online about the accommodation.
Thing is, I've kind of decided that I'm going to York but if I've scraped my A, I'm going to have a long hard think about Exeter so all this getting excited about York might be a waste of time anyway.

But ah it's nice to know I have a uni place that I would love to go to in the bag :biggrin:
Original post by ollypocket
Lol tell me about it.

It sounds absurd that I would be hanging out in NYC and dreaming of university, but while I am having an incredible time here, part of me is really looking forward to university; the independence... the lectures... living somewhere new... that it's in England lol. And I've read basically everything there is online about the accommodation.
Thing is, I've kind of decided that I'm going to York but if I've scraped my A, I'm going to have a long hard think about Exeter so all this getting excited about York might be a waste of time anyway.

But ah it's nice to know I have a uni place that I would love to go to in the bag :biggrin:

Wow, it's going to be a bit of a shock to the system moving from New York to York, isn't it? :tongue:

So are you just torn between straight English at York and at Exeter? Or do you mean the JH course at York? :redface:
Mm, it's so awkward that the most important thing in college choice, who you end up living with, is the one thing you have no control over :sad: I do quite like the look of Alcuin, and library proximity is a big plus :biggrin: And yeah, I really like Derwent's location. I wouldn't be that bothered about the accommodation being old, but I would quite like ensuite and I'd like a nice kitchen which I don't think the older accommodation tends to offer :tongue: And Derwent seems to have a reputation for being mega loud and sociable, which I wouldn't want. I want somewhere sociable and friendly, but not too loud and boozy :redface:

I think I'd use the gym if it was free, but I'm not bothered enough to want to fork out money for it. I'll just go jogging instead :tongue:

i read that as i'll just go shopping instead, at which point my brain was like PLAN!!! but hmm, jogging will work aswell! i get shopping cravings, i'm fighting them really well atm i think. cos amazon doesn't count really, i only buy books, dvds and i bought some posters to decorate my room. real shopping is clothes.

derwent would kill me, i imagine people to like drink vodka for breakfast haha, it seems pretty rowdy!! i think it would bring out the worst in me from sleep deprivation! the campus is nice and the air is so fresh, well it feels like it to me! so a walk will wake me up i guess.
i think i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go for alcuin - it's just me, i reckon i actually have commitment issues. like just before a level results day out - i was like ****, i don't wanna do econ, i was do architecture I LOVE ARCHITECTURE!! but luckily , i got over it. i think i was just nervous and this is probs the same, i secretly DON'T wanna go to james. even though i read this:

"In addition to one of the largest populations of students anywhere on campus, James College is also home to several hundred ducks, geese, other assorted wildfowl, and rabbits. In the summer term, particularly, it is not unusual to find whole flocks of birds patrolling the quads and pecking at kitchen windows, or rabbits hopping past one's bedroom window. There have been occasions where ducks have been, accidentally, allowed to enter the houses and flats of James College." !!!

i just want people who are cool and talk as much as me - my gap year has minorly killed me though - when i see friends i feel like i have nothing to say.

i bet i'll be living with someone who had a gap year who was like yeah, i worked for david cameron for 3 months, then went to africa, saved everyone from aids, then went to auz and become a surf instructor, then i just went around asia, eating LOADS of asian food, and then i went to ALL the places in america you wanna go, then i got to HUG and panda in china, and then to finish it off i had a MASSIVE shopping trip going to barcelona, milan and paris - what did you do?

i'll be like, well i worked in chelsea for a month - but then my contract ended, and i just made cakes for ages, and then worked in waitrose. and then they'll go OH and look at the floor
Wow, it's going to be a bit of a shock to the system moving from New York to York, isn't it? :tongue:

So are you just torn between straight English at York and at Exeter? Or do you mean the JH course at York? :redface:

Yup a bit of a shock, but a kind of nice one. New York is pretty intense lol. I'll miss it A LOT I'm sure and it's going to be really hard to leave, especially as so many people I love are here, but at the same time, it's going to be so exciting to be moving on with my life and starting my degree.

I'll be torn between doing straight English at York or Exeter. I'm absolutely happy to do English and Politics, but I'd prefer straight English... partially because I'm not sure how well I'd deal with the workload :redface:

i think i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go for alcuin - it's just me, i reckon i actually have commitment issues. like just before a level results day out - i was like ****, i don't wanna do econ, i was do architecture I LOVE ARCHITECTURE!! but luckily , i got over it. i think i was just nervous and this is probs the same, i secretly DON'T wanna go to james.

Same - Alcuin seems like the best choice for me. When I went to visit, it was the one I liked the most too.

i'll be like, well i worked in chelsea for a month - but then my contract ended, and i just made cakes for ages, and then worked in waitrose. and then they'll go OH and look at the floor

Never underestimate how impressive or cool cake making is. I would like to make cake. I love cake. Do you ever make red velvet cake?? It's the best thing in the entire world...... the entire world!!!!
Omg...
(edited 13 years ago)
Yup a bit of a shock, but a kind of nice one. New York is pretty intense lol. I'll miss it A LOT I'm sure and it's going to be really hard to leave, especially as so many people I love are here, but at the same time, it's going to be so exciting to be moving on with my life and starting my degree.

I'll be torn between doing straight English at York or Exeter. I'm absolutely happy to do English and Politics, but I'd prefer straight English... partially because I'm not sure how well I'd deal with the workload :redface:

Same - Alcuin seems like the best choice for me. When I went to visit, it was the one I liked the most too.

Never underestimate how impressive or cool cake making is. I would like to make cake. I love cake. Do you ever make red velvet cake?? It's the best thing in the entire world...... the entire world!!!!
Omg...

omg yes, i made red velvet cup cakes, but the hummingbird bakery recommends using SO much food colouring, so i was covered in red and i looked like i'd murdered someone!! generally i'm so fussy so it's hard to find stuff i like, bar chocolat. everything chocolate and cakey is great :biggrin:
i bet there are some bloody good cake shops in NYC!!

maybe our hot choc posse will all live in alcuin! i'm scared i'll end up living with someone i know off tsr, incase they told the whole flat. but i guess it would embarass us both!
x

That makes James sound lovely :tongue: I do like Alcuin but I think I prefer James, although I'm a bit put off by the sporty reputation it has. I'll make proper list of pros and cons for each college soon :biggrin:

Mm, gap years aren't really the best for social life...I don't talk to a lot of my friends now since I'm not seeing them every day any more, although I do visit my boyfriend lots and I'm friends with his friends so it's not all bad :biggrin:

I'm dreading anyone asking me about my gap year haha, it sounds really rubbish in comparison to what people expect a gap year to be. I'm still really enjoying it, although I'm getting ridiculously excited about university now. It feels kind of close. 1/3 of our gap year is gone already :eek:

I'm not sure I could cope living in a place as big as New York :tongue: I like big cities when I visit them for a couple of days, but actually living in one would probably do my head in!

Ah, I see :smile: The workload for JH does sound hellish, and I bet it'd be difficult to be doing purely one subject one term and then switching to an entirely different subject the next term :s-smilie:

Also, I just noticed you have offers from all of your choices! Well done :biggrin: You should obviously pick York, though :tongue:
omg yes, i made red velvet cup cakes, but the hummingbird bakery recommends using SO much food colouring, so i was covered in red and i looked like i'd murdered someone!! generally i'm so fussy so it's hard to find stuff i like, bar chocolat. everything chocolate and cakey is great :biggrin:
i bet there are some bloody good cake shops in NYC!!

maybe our hot choc posse will all live in alcuin! i'm scared i'll end up living with someone i know off tsr, incase they told the whole flat. but i guess it would embarass us both!

Ah that's awesome. And lol, yeah the amount of food colouring does worry me - doesn't food colouring make stuff taste really bad?
There is incredible cake over here. I am not a cheesecake fan but omg, I was in Boston over the weekend and I tried some of my friend's red velvet cheesecake and another friend's chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake... oh my dear lord, it was incredible.

And their red velvet is just magical - a really great memory of mine from here is when my NYC in Lit teacher decided that we should go experience a new side of New York and so literally sent us out to do stuff in Broolyn for an hour. I ended up sharing a big slice of red velvet cake with hot chocolate while walking around Brooklyn Heights in 1 degree weather. Soooo fun.

And haha, yeh if we ever meet each other, we absolutely did not meet on the internet :wink:

I'm not sure I could cope living in a place as big as New York :tongue: I like big cities when I visit them for a couple of days, but actually living in one would probably do my head in!

Ah, I see :smile: The workload for JH does sound hellish, and I bet it'd be difficult to be doing purely one subject one term and then switching to an entirely different subject the next term :s-smilie:

Also, I just noticed you have offers from all of your choices! Well done :biggrin: You should obviously pick York, though :tongue:

When I was in NYC last year for a few days on a school trip, I felt really claustrophobic after about a day. But I guess living here means you get to see more sides to it and I live in a more low lying, jumbled up area (the West Village ftw) so not surrounded by skyscrapers uptown.

Yep, also I know how to do English but Politics I've never been that great at... so that would be a worry.

And I have 4 offers right now - just waiting on Leeds :cool:. Thanks though :smile:
Funny that you may have been instrumental in me getting in, what with your brilliant PS advice :biggrin:
When I was in NYC last year for a few days on a school trip, I felt really claustrophobic after about a day. But I guess living here means you get to see more sides to it and I live in a more low lying, jumbled up area (the West Village ftw) so not surrounded by skyscrapers uptown.

Yep, also I know how to do English but Politics I've never been that great at... so that would be a worry.

And I have 4 offers right now - just waiting on Leeds :cool:. Thanks though :smile:
Funny that you may have been instrumental in me getting in, what with your brilliant PS advice :biggrin:

Yeah, I imagine living in a place is very different from just visiting it. I'm still not sure I could cope with such a big, busy place though :tongue: This is partly why I'm so delighted by the prospect of living in York :biggrin:

I think doing straight English is probably fairly interdisciplinary anyway, so I'm sure you'll be able to incorporate lots of politics into your essays anyway if you wanted :smile: And you could always do an elective module! I was adamant I'd opt to do a history elective for yonks, but I'm pretty sure I won't now. I wouldn't want to miss out on any English :redface: Although I'm kind of tempted to do 2 foreign lit modules...

Oops, sorry :redface: I skimmed through your signature and didn't realise you were still waiting on the last one! And nah, you're the one who actually wrote the PS so all credit is due to you for putting together such a good application :smile:
Original post by trollman
she tells the truth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovmHfMKHuY8&feature=player_embedded#at=49
best video on the whole internet yeah? but it did start our BEAUTIFUL friendship!!

ps you gotta rewind back to 0.00 cos it starts at 0.51!! fool
Ah that's awesome. And lol, yeah the amount of food colouring does worry me - doesn't food colouring make stuff taste really bad?
There is incredible cake over here. I am not a cheesecake fan but omg, I was in Boston over the weekend and I tried some of my friend's red velvet cheesecake and another friend's chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake... oh my dear lord, it was incredible.

And their red velvet is just magical - a really great memory of mine from here is when my NYC in Lit teacher decided that we should go experience a new side of New York and so literally sent us out to do stuff in Broolyn for an hour. I ended up sharing a big slice of red velvet cake with hot chocolate while walking around Brooklyn Heights in 1 degree weather. Soooo fun.

And haha, yeh if we ever meet each other, we absolutely did not meet on the internet :wink:

yeah i can't imagine food colouring tastes nice!! gah i'm SO jealous!! i'm not really into cheesecake but i could def get into COOKIE DOUGH cheesecake!! i did just go to nandos, do they have that in the US? i know they don't have pizza express :P
haha yes, 10000%, what even is the internet?

That makes James sound lovely :tongue: I do like Alcuin but I think I prefer James, although I'm a bit put off by the sporty reputation it has. I'll make proper list of pros and cons for each college soon :biggrin:

Mm, gap years aren't really the best for social life...I don't talk to a lot of my friends now since I'm not seeing them every day any more, although I do visit my boyfriend lots and I'm friends with his friends so it's not all bad :biggrin:

I'm dreading anyone asking me about my gap year haha, it sounds really rubbish in comparison to what people expect a gap year to be. I'm still really enjoying it, although I'm getting ridiculously excited about university now. It feels kind of close. 1/3 of our gap year is gone already :eek :

haha i'm pretty sure that james and alcuin are both great in different ways!!i wanna see a bunny hop past my window!! but i think i'll go for alcuin, still like 5 months before we can apply for accom anyway :P
ah lucky, i haven't seen my boyf for almost 3 weeks, but am gonna on fri, damn him doing such a hard degree!! it's really sad, uni friends don't care or have time anymore and all us gappies are just so down and cba to meet up, it's awful! but they are all going travelling in their various duos or alone
i hate feeling like i'm wasting time - i waited 2 months for this job and now i won't even be getting very much money at all! today was my least productive day ever, 3 peep show episodes, walked the dog and then just spent the rest of the day staring at facebook doing nothing, how is it so easy to do nothing!
i am excited, somedays, others filled with just nerves and a bit of dread. think i'm just too complacent at home!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending