The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2580
Original post by kevin6767
From what I gather it annoys a lot of people, particularly as it makes it more difficult to plan for internships and high season work during the summer. There doesn't really appear to be any sort of campaign to challenge the university on it. Maybe it is something that should be raised with the SU? Unless people actually come together and complain very little ever gets done.

Nothing will ever get done about it. The university aren't very well known for listening to the views of the students, no matter how we go about it. It's an absolute nightmare, yes - I'm supposed to be working as a volunteer at the Olympics, but I can't because I'm meant to start in June and my dissertation won't be in because of our term dates. There's nothing we can do.
University of York
York
I thought we were going late this year because some of the accomodation was being refurbished and isn't ready until a couple of days ago. Is this true?
Reply 2582
Original post by Prepare-Yourself
I thought we were going late this year because some of the accomodation was being refurbished and isn't ready until a couple of days ago. Is this true?

Not true. York always starts around the 10th of October. In fact, some of the accommodation wasn't ready as of Saturday (Open Day), so we weren't allowed to show people it (Halifax & Derwent Colleges).
Reply 2583
Surely they must take into account student views? Have people tried traditional methods like petitions and so on? Maybe a more coordinated approach should be tried.

Hardly. Even when it comes to something as small as the new YUSU bar that's opening this term, they didn't take our views into account. A Facebook poll was done and the most popular result was 'The Drunken Duck'. The bar is being called 'The Lounge'. That wasn't even an option that YUSU suggested.

The Uni are much more interested in getting money from conference guests and such, and conferences tend to happen around the end of September, meaning that we can't start early enough to finish at the same time as other Unis. No matter what we do, they're not going to change term dates and lose out on the huge amount of revenue that the conferences gain.
Reply 2584
woah woah woahhhhh
so do we finish after everyone else in the summer?!
Reply 2585
Original post by Basmati
woah woah woahhhhh
so do we finish after everyone else in the summer?!

Yup - everyone else finishes around May / June. We finish on 1st July.
Reply 2586
I think I quite regret choosing york now.

In all honesty, it doesn't really present a problem. Despite all of these things, I still don't regret choosing York and I've had an amazing two years - I can't imagine going to any other University. Yes, there are problems with the people who are in charge, however, York is still a great Uni. When you get here, hopefully you'll see what I mean. After all, Uni isn't about the people right at the top, it's about the people around you and enjoying the new city, and York's awesome :smile:
At least it means we can go on holiday in September when it's cheap because the schools have gone back...
Original post by sentiment
At least it means we can go on holiday in September when it's cheap because the schools have gone back...

Although not with people from other unis because they'll all have gone back :tongue: but yeah!
Reply 2589
Well I hope your Olympics ambassador thingy comes right in the end. I know Warwick and a large number of Oxford students don't finish until the last day of June so we aren't alone :P I applied for that Olympics thing and never heard a word back! The swines :P I was thinking of organising a rally, they haven't had the pleasure of one of my protests yet :P

Cheers, I hope so too! How rude! You should get down there and organise a protest :P Go for it - be sure I'll be there filming it for York Student TV! :P
Reply 2590
Will leave for York in less than six hours, I am so excited! :biggrin:
Hope to see some of you tomorrow!
Reply 2591
:biggrin: Im in London,will get the train to York in the morning,cant wait.See you tomorrow.
They changed the student cards. Now it's white with a part of the coat of arms on it and 3 pictures of the uni above that.
I'm so jealous of you internationals who are already there!
TWO DAYS. :eek: anyone as nervous/excited? haha :tongue:

Also, any idea where we go on arrival day? I know where to collect my key but do we need to do anything before that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Origamistars

Also, any idea where we go on arrival day? I know where to collect my key but do we need to do anything before that?

Nope, just head straight to the porter's lodge for your college (there will be directions to it), pick up your keys and move all your stuff in!
Original post by slugonamission
Nope, just head straight to the porter's lodge for your college (there will be directions to it), pick up your keys and move all your stuff in!

Thank you! :biggrin: eee how exciting!
Reply 2597
Arrived at York yesterday and it is amazing! :biggrin:
Original post by Origamistars

The nervous part has taken over. :eek:
I am nowhere near packed! =/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending