The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LostHorizons
Given that my flatmates have decided to have a party in the room next door to me tonight, again, which is still going strong now, I'm pretty sure I don't want to live with them :mad: I'd like to live with a couple of people on the other side of the flat, but not others, and they're all getting a house together so ugh.

Exact same situation, pretty much :smile: except it's one flatmate who hates me and used absolutely terrible excuses to force me out of the group ("it's really difficult to find 4/5 person houses" - what?). My flatmates are still out, I think - but there's still a load of boys sat in my kitchen and one of them just made me stroke his hair when I went in to wash my glass :confused:

The vending machine near us is a LIFESAVER and slowly bankrupted me throughout last term :tongue:

I just spent £2.50 on sugary things and now I can't sit still :biggrin: I hate to think of how much money I've spent on it, though.
University of York
York
Original post by AlexAntiHeroine
Exact same situation, pretty much :smile: except it's one flatmate who hates me and used absolutely terrible excuses to force me out of the group ("it's really difficult to find 4/5 person houses" - what?). My flatmates are still out, I think - but there's still a load of boys sat in my kitchen and one of them just made me stroke his hair when I went in to wash my glass :confused:

Ah, you mentioned that flatmate yesterday. Sounds like a dick :frown: even though some of mine aren't really people I can imagine being friends with if I wasn't living with them, they are at least civil and nice enough to me.

I WISH MY FLATMATES WOULD SIT IN THE KITCHEN. I don't want to say anything now because I've been quite noisy for the past week, but I don't understand why my neighbour's room has become the whole block's social room :confused: sitting in the kitchen would mean nobody is bothered by the noise of their conversation or their rubbish music, grr.

I just spent £2.50 on sugary things and now I can't sit still :biggrin: I hate to think of how much money I've spent on it, though.

I would be tempted if boyfriend hadn't bought me chocolate earlier :biggrin: I have a sudden urge to do LOTS OF WORK, so I'm now dancing in my chair to ABBA while typing up Othello notes. I'm too cool :cool:
Ah, you mentioned that flatmate yesterday. Sounds like a dick :frown: even though some of mine aren't really people I can imagine being friends with if I wasn't living with them, they are at least civil and nice enough to me.

Yeah, I think I managed to cover my life story pretty comprehensively :tongue: It was a really dickish thing to do, but tbh I think she's just insecure and worries that nobody likes her - which I can totally relate to, so yeah.

I WISH MY FLATMATES WOULD SIT IN THE KITCHEN. I don't want to say anything now because I've been quite noisy for the past week, but I don't understand why my neighbour's room has become the whole block's social room :confused: sitting in the kitchen would mean nobody is bothered by the noise of their conversation or their rubbish music, grr.

That must be really annoying :mad: to be fair you can hear them a lot less when they're in the kitchen than when they're in their rooms - unless your room's next to the kitchen. :smile: I do live between Designated Xbox Room and Girl Who Plays The Sax At 4AM though, fun times. :biggrin:

I would be tempted if boyfriend hadn't bought me chocolate earlier :biggrin: I have a sudden urge to do LOTS OF WORK, so I'm now dancing in my chair to ABBA while typing up Othello notes. I'm too cool :cool:

Ah I see :smile: I'm funding my own sugar addiction until this weekend, so I just had two chocolate bars and a bag of Haribo - why do I do these things? Hey, ABBA's cool :tongue: I'm listening to Wham! and doing a little dance. Even though it's QUARTER PAST THREE. IN THE MORNING.
Yeah, I think I managed to cover my life story pretty comprehensively :tongue: It was a really dickish thing to do, but tbh I think she's just insecure and worries that nobody likes her - which I can totally relate to, so yeah.

Mm, I've met a few people who're like that. Ah well :frown: the majority of people at York are lovely, and I guess you're bound to get the odd dickhead anywhere.

That must be really annoying :mad: to be fair you can hear them a lot less when they're in the kitchen than when they're in their rooms - unless your room's next to the kitchen. :smile: I do live between Designated Xbox Room and Girl Who Plays The Sax At 4AM though, fun times. :biggrin:
I specifically asked to be faaaaaaar away from the kitchen :tongue: the worst is when people have lots of friends round for a massive party and just prop their room doors open :mad:

Ah I see :smile: I'm funding my own sugar addiction until this weekend, so I just had two chocolate bars and a bag of Haribo - why do I do these things? Hey, ABBA's cool :tongue: I'm listening to Wham! and doing a little dance. Even though it's QUARTER PAST THREE. IN THE MORNING.
Tut :tongue: I really need to eat less crap food this term. Costcutters always has offers on biscuits and things, and I have no willpower :frown:

The Vengaboys. I have reached a new yet sublime low.
(edited 12 years ago)
Mm, I've met a few people who're like that. Ah well :frown: the majority of people at York are lovely, and I guess you're bound to get the odd dickhead anywhere.

Indeed, the good people I've met outweigh the bad by far - I really really need to keep that in mind.

I specifically asked to be faaaaaaar away from the kitchen :tongue: the worst is when people have lots of friends round for a massive party and just prop their room doors open :mad:

In hindsight I should have asked for that :tongue: Although I'm not right next to/across from the kitchen, so it's not too bad. My flat doesn't have loads of parties which is pretty good, there's just a few people from upstairs/other blocks who never leave our kitchen ever.

Tut :tongue: I really need to eat less crap food this term. Costcutters always has offers on biscuits and things, and I have no willpower :frown:

The Vengaboys. I have reached a new yet sublime low.

Yeah, me too - especially as I'm trying to save money :biggrin: Less alcohol and chocolate for me this term, I think. To be fair it's not our fault that everything is expensive in Costcutter apart from...well, biscuits and chocolate and alcohol. They never seem to have offers on fruit or veg or anything.

Not gonna lie, I'm impressed. :biggrin: I reached my absolute low yesterday when I was walking between lectures and realised that I was happily and non-ironically listening to Mambo No. 5. There's so much wrong with that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah, I was kind of ill with various things for most of the term which really really didn't help, but yeah. Good luck with making course friends!

I really hope we all have a good term :biggrin: it's started terribly for me, but hopefully it'll get better. Hmm.

DON'T TALK ABOUT HOUSE HUNTING IT'S ALL A DISASTER
:tongue: but yes, good luck!

we signed on the line at 10am this morning, dragged my housemates out to adam bennett for 9 but they took soooo long getting everything ready cos they were even more asleep than us!!
I have all of two housemates now :biggrin: not sure if a 3 person house would be a bit cramped though, but we'll see.

Sorry if I was weird and terrifying yesterday, I was super drunk :redface:

you will think i'm mad then - i'm living in a house of 8!

ps what colleges are you in? is it vanbrugh? sooo hard to remember on here!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hannah9000
we signed on the line at 10am this morning, dragged my housemates out to adam bennett for 9 but they took soooo long getting everything ready cos they were even more asleep than us!!

If house-hunting was a race...you'd totally be winning. I only managed (through a combination of threats, promises and bribery, but shhh) to make someone promise to definitely move to York and live with me. :biggrin: Now to find a one/two bedroom house that isn't distressingly expensive.

you will think i'm mad then - i'm living in a house of 8!

My flatmates are having a house of eight, but I don't think they've even started looking yet. They should probably hurry up - I mean, how many eight-person houses can there even be? :confused:

ps what colleges are you in? is it vanbrugh? sooo hard to remember on here!

It is indeed :smile: Sorry, I have no idea what college you're in - care to enlighten me? :tongue:
If house-hunting was a race...you'd totally be winning. I only managed (through a combination of threats, promises and bribery, but shhh) to make someone promise to definitely move to York and live with me. :biggrin: Now to find a one/two bedroom house that isn't distressingly expensive.

My flatmates are having a house of eight, but I don't think they've even started looking yet. They should probably hurry up - I mean, how many eight-person houses can there even be? :confused:

It is indeed :smile: Sorry, I have no idea what college you're in - care to enlighten me? :tongue:

ahh good luck :smile: i swear estate agents love to rip off students! most people i know have managed to haggle a bit:smile:

there were barely any! it was quite stressful, there were about 10 on adam bennett and LOADS of people wanna live in 8s so i'm glad we are all sorted and didn't disagree on which house too much
i'm in alcuin :smile:
Reply 2708
Gawwd I am not enjoying the accommodation panic which has set all over campus. Seriously, where did this spring from because I was quite happily plodding along and then noticed everyone had paired up and signed contracts. Meep!
ahh good luck :smile: i swear estate agents love to rip off students! most people i know have managed to haggle a bit:smile:

there were barely any! it was quite stressful, there were about 10 on adam bennett and LOADS of people wanna live in 8s so i'm glad we are all sorted and didn't disagree on which house too much
i'm in alcuin :smile:

Adam Bennett is the biggest rip off ever! We are going through Sinclair, apparantly they are much better and they are substantially cheaper as Adam bennet holds a monopoly on campus basically. We haven't looked at any houses yet as the viewings arent until the start of feb, but it makes me nervous as so many people have already signed for their houses!
Fortunately 5 person houses are in good supply, I just hope I am living with the right people, though they are all lovely. Im more looking forward to living somewhere that has a kitchen that isnt constantly a biohazard. Swear my immune system has been destroyed by the E coli and stuff that is probably breeding in our kitchen. No longer having ensuite will be sad times though
Mm, I looked at 2 bedroom houses thinking about just living with my boyfriend, but they're so expensive :s-smilie: the cheapest are like 85 pounds a week, ugh. Have you looked at renting out an individual room within a house?

I know this is really weird but I've been majorly let down by the people I was planning on living with and am now absolutely desperate for housemates. Are you looking for a fourth person if we decided we could get on? Sorry to be so stalkery...
Original post by sentiment
I know this is really weird but I've been majorly let down by the people I was planning on living with and am now absolutely desperate for housemates. Are you looking for a fourth person if we decided we could get on? Sorry to be so stalkery...

We're still not sure whether we'll be getting a 3 or 4 person house, but I'll have a chat with my other potential housemates in the next couple of days and get back to you :smile:
Someone please hurry up and sign for our house so I no longer have to put up with awkward first years awkwardly staring into my room during house viewings. :sigh:
Original post by alwatkins1991
Adam Bennett is the biggest rip off ever! We are going through Sinclair, apparantly they are much better and they are substantially cheaper as Adam bennet holds a monopoly on campus basically. We haven't looked at any houses yet as the viewings arent until the start of feb, but it makes me nervous as so many people have already signed for their houses!
Fortunately 5 person houses are in good supply, I just hope I am living with the right people, though they are all lovely. Im more looking forward to living somewhere that has a kitchen that isnt constantly a biohazard. Swear my immune system has been destroyed by the E coli and stuff that is probably breeding in our kitchen. No longer having ensuite will be sad times though

adam bennett know they have the bloody monopoly and it is annoying! but our landlord is such a decent guy - he cut the price adam bennett set and included broadband :biggrin: yeah you should be alright for a 5 person house!! don't be put off by the disagreements that come with house hunting, you'll hate each other for a day and then all go back to normal!!

i see you EVERYWHERE! but you never recognise me. i went to the econsocial last night, massive fail cos only 10 people went. at least we got free drinks on the law socs tabs, muahaha
adam bennett know they have the bloody monopoly and it is annoying! but our landlord is such a decent guy - he cut the price adam bennett set and included broadband :biggrin: yeah you should be alright for a 5 person house!! don't be put off by the disagreements that come with house hunting, you'll hate each other for a day and then all go back to normal!!

i see you EVERYWHERE! but you never recognise me. i went to the econsocial last night, massive fail cos only 10 people went. at least we got free drinks on the law socs tabs, muahaha

Wow that is really good actually! How much will you pay a week? Its so much cheaper living in a house than in a hall! I will only be paying about 500 quid more for a a whole year than 33 weeks. And im so excited to live with my friends (though i live with most of my future housemates now) it will be nice to leave some of the messy/uninteresting people from the flat. Haha we don't have disagreements, because i have absolved all responsibility of giving my opinion about the house. I literally couldn't care less, we decided fishergate as an area and then I don't really mind what the house is like.

Haha, you should say hi! or I will next time I see you! yeah I heard, one of the social secs is my stycs boyfriend, and they both live with a friend of mine. I should have gone really, but the last one was so average and I am trying to have a break from going out at the moment. I went out like 6 times in the first week as we had nothing on and I felt i might have overdone it. Free drinks on the lawsocs tab sounds amazing though! I should have gone haha
Reply 2715
Am I the only one who hasn't sorted out anybody to live with for next year yet? Sniff :ashamed2:

Seriously though... I'm living with 15 others this year, and my housemates wanted to live in a big house all together next year. I declined, because, as much as I get on with everyone really well, living with 15 other people is pretty intense and I didn't wanna live with such a massive group of people again next year (around about 8/9/10!).

Now I have pretty much no plans... argh! I'm sure I'll work something out so I'm not stressing. I assume there are some other people in this situation every year? :colondollar:
Original post by Deja Vu
Am I the only one who hasn't sorted out anybody to live with for next year yet? Sniff :ashamed2:

Seriously though... I'm living with 15 others this year, and my housemates wanted to live in a big house all together next year. I declined, because, as much as I get on with everyone really well, living with 15 other people is pretty intense and I didn't wanna live with such a massive group of people again next year (around about 8/9/10!).

Now I have pretty much no plans... argh! I'm sure I'll work something out so I'm not stressing. I assume there are some other people in this situation every year? :colondollar:

Check the "Find a housemate" events. There's one organized by Vanbrugh tonight from 6:30 in Vanbrugh's JCR. I'm sure that all the colleges will have one. You'll find someone to live with in the end. Good luck with it!
Reply 2717
If I want a new supervisor will I be asked why, or will I just be given one?
Original post by Vekeh
If I want a new supervisor will I be asked why, or will I just be given one?

I know in my dept. (Psychology), you have the right to request a new supervisor at any time without giving a reason. If you were given a departmental handbook at the start of term like we were, the answer will be in there.
Original post by alexmagpie
I know in my dept. (Psychology), you have the right to request a new supervisor at any time without giving a reason. If you were given a departmental handbook at the start of term like we were, the answer will be in there.

It's the same in my department so I assume it's a general rule.

Quick Reply

Latest