The Student Room Group

Macbook for chemical engineering in UCL

Hi.

I have decided to firm UCL chem engg.

I wanted to buy a laptop and torn between the macbook or a windows laptop.

I want to know if there are any programmes in UCL or even in other uni that are used in engineering which are compatable with the mac.

Would it be a waste buying a macbook for chem engg in UCL??
Reply 1
Well you can put windows on a mac you know...
Reply 2
Original post by Griffin23
Well you can put windows on a mac you know...

i suggest getting a macbook pro, and then also buy a program called "Parallel", its when u can have Windows AND Mac OS X at the same time. I have it, and its great!
Reply 3
Or you can use bootcamp....
Like people above have said, if software limitations are the only thing stopping you from going for a Mac, then you can remedy this with a program such as Parallel (Which also allows you to access your "Windows Desktop" from iOS devices, essentially turning iPhones/iPads into a Windows tablet) or Apple's own Boot Camp to gain the full Windows 7 experience on a single system. However you may find that if you're going to be relying on Windows for the vast majority of your degree, you'll get far more for your money buying an actual Windows laptop, and you'll certainly be able to get a higher spec'd machine. Check with the uni what programs you'll be relying on (Your dept should be able to provide a list just as it would a reading list or textbooks), and then check with the companies to see whether or not they make the software for both platforms.
(edited 13 years ago)
not at UCL... but ive never come across a program that i've had to use that doesn't have a mac version.

also get a macbook pro not a macbook. definitely worth the extra money

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending