The Student Room Group

The Russell Group has published a list of "facilitating (preferred)" subjects

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by chlobofro
They act like these subjects aren't hard and they really are. Stupid. I'd like to see them try Art A Level.

Yes, but in art there is no 'wrong' answer, it's all subjective and 'art critic' is one of the most bullsh*t jobs around, much like wine tasting.....but people seem to still make money out of it.

They want subjects that will give you a good understanding of the course you're about to do. As for you as a person, that shines through in what you've done outside of school.

So to everyone with bad a levels stop whinging, they KNOW A-levels aren't a good representation of you as a person. Kinda why they give interviews and read personal statements.
I'm glad this list has been published. At least people are aware now and don't realise half way through the media studies course that it's nothing like what they imagined. :rolleyes:

To those who are annoyed about art being in the list, I think that an intense and varied art portfolio would be worth more than A Level Art and Design. I know that A Level Art does build up a portfolio but I don't think it encourages artistic flair and perspective.

For most soft subjects though, I think it's talent, work experience and a portfolio that matters more than just a qualification.
I think it's good that this has been published. The point is that not all schools do offer this kind of information, and it puts people at a disadvantage. There's an article on it here http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/feb/04/gove-soft-subjects

It does specifically mention Art & Music (see p25) but they are not really the point.
Reply 23
Only a matter of time wasn't it.

Competition is highest ever and they have to choose how to select the best. The free ride is over. Party's over. This i where the fun begins. A top uni isn't a 3 year party.
Reply 24
The annoying thing about this is that there is a standard: In every subject you will have to work hard to get a good grade. End of story.

(not saying that I don't think that there aren't soft subjects, by the way)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by damidude
The annonying thing about this is that there is a standard: In evry subject you will have to work hard to get a good grade. End of story.

And?
Reply 26
english maths chemistry biology physics and history (last one crashed in 6th year though) highers and i study a semi-soft subject at uni!

Be proud of what you do and don't let this determine your opinion or views of people. Discussion is futile, it is in Universities interest to protect prestige and if they think denying 'soft' subjects will help them whittle it down then so be it. Doesn't mean they are essentially right or wrong. Each subject demands a certain level of competence and there is no bar of difficulty. People are different, subjects are different.

I make no sense. :dontknow: :L
Reply 27
:lolwut: wheres economics?
Reply 28
I don't get it, having this said.. many of my friends who did soft subjects were able to get an offer from Manchester university, which is in the russell group.. I think one of my friend studied english, theology (soft subject..?), psychology (soft subject)

When looking at the entry requirements, alot of the universities do not ask for specific subjects, and just often ask for straight A's which I am struggling to get because my subjects are "harder" than many "soft" subjects... should i be regretting that i didn't take any soft subjects? as i probably wouldn't be struggling this hard to get an A grade.
Original post by chlobofro
Yes but isn't that ridiculously OBVIOUS to an intelligent person? Christ, Nanny State Britain.

It isn't always that obvious though chloe :smile:.
A Level law is not always helpful if you want to do a law degree for example.

Original post by chrislpp
Yes, but in art there is no 'wrong' answer, it's all subjective

You can say the same about History, yet places seem to like that.
(Obviously there are the facts, but history at A level is a lot about interpretations and opinions).
The same goes for English.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by chrislpp
And?

And nothing. What do you think.
Reply 31
I'll say this once more.

There are millionaires that have done music, millionaires that have done law.

There are poorer people on average incoems that have done them too.

If you're REALLY good at something, and are willing to work at the talent, the qualification will be the easiest thing you've ever done, and you can make a living out of it and never have to go to a job interview in your life. The degree will rarely get you a dream job and you'll have to fight of 1000 others with a stick to get it.

The degree won't matter in 10/20/30 years. If governments keep ****ing HE like they have been for years now. NOTHING guarantees you a job. Not even dentistry, the rewards can be huge, but you are not owed a job on graduation and you're at square one again working you way up.

That's the fact.
(edited 13 years ago)
Here is the actual guide for anyone interested: http://russellgroup.org/Informed%20Choices%20final.pdf

There are plenty of caveats in there and even suggests that many popular degrees such as Business, Management, Psychology, Law, Politics are available without the 'facilitating subjects'.
Reply 33
...and they're all made out of ticky-tacky, and they all look just the same.
Reply 34
The Russell Group is an outdated organisation that has some excellent universities but is not an elite club where only the best universities are members - too many excellent ones are not in it.
are the russel group uni's generally seen as the 20 best in the country?
Reply 36
I wish I had known more when I was younger and picking my A levels. The problem was that I had no idea what I wanted to do.
I got into oxford with 3 A levels - history, politics and art and design. admittedly things are a bit different from 3 years ago. i asked an oxford tutor before i applied how they saw art and he said he personally didnt mind it as an A level though it depended on the subject and the tutor.
Original post by air-ninety-one
are the russel group uni's generally seen as the 20 best in the country?

Nope. The RG contains some of the best in the country, but certainly not the best 20 or whatever.

edit - I seem to be getting a lot of negs lately for simply stating facts.
It is a fact that the RG does not contain the best 20 (or whatever number) universities.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Stratos

Original post by Stratos
You don't need a degree to make art...

No, but you have a shot at Fine Art at A-level. I'm taking the AS and can safely say its more effort than all of my science and maths GCSEs combined.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending