The Student Room Group

Why do Brits have this arrogance that certain jobs are beneath them?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by krazykipper
Being jobs on the market =/= you being able to get a job.

I'm really quite confident in getting a job tbh. I don't want to come across as an arrogant arse at all, I just seem to be rather lucky when it comes to job hunting.
Reply 81
Original post by Redkicker
i think it completely depends. i mean if the person has qualifications then i wouldnt blame them if they want to get a job that matches their qualifications, and not working as a cleaner or some other low-payed job.

but as for people with no qualifications, skills and nothing special people will pay extra money for, then they better expect working in low-payed jobs! and this country is full of these talentless people who think they're better than they really are

Maybe people need to start realising that their degree in English/History/Maths/Biology etc. doesn't actually qualify them for that much and thus realign their job and salary expectations to a more realistic level.

Yes, there are 'grad schemes' but only the top fraction of graduates will get these and the average graduate has generally no work experience and no extra knowledge or skills useful in the workplace when compared to a 21 year old who has been on the rock and roll for three years.
Reply 82
Original post by Jake22
Maybe people need to start realising that their degree in English/History/Maths/Biology etc. doesn't actually qualify them for that much and thus realign their job and salary expectations to a more realistic level.

Yes, there are 'grad schemes' but only the top fraction of graduates will get these and the average graduate has generally no work experience and no extra knowledge or skills useful in the workplace when compared to a 21 year old who has been on the rock and roll for three years.

err, a degree in Maths qualifies you for a whole lot actually. It's the arts and humanities graduates that are particularly struggling.
Reply 83
Original post by py0alb
err, a degree in Maths qualifies you for a whole lot actually. It's the arts and humanities graduates that are particularly struggling.

Like what? Like a few 'grad schemes' that ask for 'numerate degrees' (i.e. you need to be able to count and use excel). The same rules apply as per my previous post. There are much fewer of these jobs then graduates in maths, the sciences, accountancy, actuarial science etc. (which these grad schemes tend to lump in together).

Jobs that actually require knowledge or ability in mathematics normally require further qualifications.
Reply 84
Original post by Jake22
Like what? Like a few 'grad schemes' that ask for 'numerate degrees' (i.e. you need to be able to count and use excel). The same rules apply as per my previous post. There are much fewer of these jobs then graduates in maths, the sciences, accountancy, actuarial science etc. (which these grad schemes tend to lump in together).

Jobs that actually require knowledge or ability in mathematics normally require further qualifications.

To start with, there aren't a great deal of jobs for anyone at the moment. But to compare maths graduates to arts and humanities graduates is ridiculous. The majority of maths graduates get a job in some kind of scientific, computing, financial, technical etc industry or another within 6 months of graduating.
There are some cases where it makes sense to complain, lots of immigrants will work under minimum wage so are effectively making it impossible for a british person to get the job.

I totally agree with this post . Employers basically look for people who will work all the time for very little . A lot of brits try to get these jobs but because theres a stigma around brits and their arrogance toward work . Employers would rather employ immigrants . This means brits who are actually willing to work for very little just to survive have no chance of even getting these jobs.
I think it is very unfair to say all brits are arrogant and dont want to work for minimum wage because it is certinly not the case .

However , there is nothing wrong with immigrants flling vacancies as long as it is not on the assumption that they will work harder for less than a brit
Original post by Jake22

Finance?

I have a friend doing maths who will earn over the summer on an internship a huge amount. That is just an intern.
Reply 87
British people are generally very arrogant, and believe that they deserve certain things, as if it's by right or heritage.
And if they don't get it, then it's been robbed from them, they've been cheated etc.

You see it in sport especially, and generally anything competitive such as jobs and economics.
The fact is for the low paid, unskilled jobs there actually tends to be more competition for!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending