The Student Room Group

where should I apply to with these grades?

Hello all,
I am in my first year IB and I have asked all my teachers what they would predict me now if I kept working like this:

Math HL: 6
Physics HL: 7
Chemistry HL: 7
Economics HL: 7
English A1 SL: 6/7
French A2 SL: 7

so with around lets say 42 points (also loosing one mark on EE and ToK) where should I apply to?
I was thinking of engineering or economics because it fits my courses but if you can think of anything else interesting that fits this please tell me :smile:
I think my chances in Oxbridge are small because of my 6 in HL math (I really doubt I can achieve a 7) but what other good uni's are there?
and also would it be helpful to take further maths as an extra certificate even if i don't get a good grade and maybe it still helps me for my HL math.

And my last question is, if I did my extended essay in A2 french, I could easily get an A in it and thus get the 3 extra points ... however would it help my application if I did it in physics or economics and maybe only get 2 marks...but does it look good on the application if my EE is in the field of application?

Thank you for any answers to this :smile:

PS: I live and study in Luxembourg, so would I need to take the TOEFL and any SAT's?
Reply 1
Imperial LSE UCL KCL Durham?
Open University.
Reply 3
I don't do IB so I don't have a clue how 'good' or otherwise that is, but you don't need to take the SAT unless you apply in the US, as far as I'm aware.
Reply 4
Original post by maxm93
Hello all,
I am in my first year IB and I have asked all my teachers what they would predict me now if I kept working like this:

Math HL: 6
Physics HL: 7
Chemistry HL: 7
Economics HL: 7
English A1 SL: 6/7
French A2 SL: 7

so with around lets say 42 points (also loosing one mark on EE and ToK) where should I apply to?
I was thinking of engineering or economics because it fits my courses but if you can think of anything else interesting that fits this please tell me :smile:
I think my chances in Oxbridge are small because of my 6 in HL math (I really doubt I can achieve a 7) but what other good uni's are there?
and also would it be helpful to take further maths as an extra certificate even if i don't get a good grade and maybe it still helps me for my HL math.

And my last question is, if I did my extended essay in A2 french, I could easily get an A in it and thus get the 3 extra points ... however would it help my application if I did it in physics or economics and maybe only get 2 marks...but does it look good on the application if my EE is in the field of application?

Thank you for any answers to this :smile:

PS: I live and study in Luxembourg, so would I need to take the TOEFL and any SAT's?
There's a big difference between these courses, so my advice to you is to make your mind what you really want to do. Then you start thinking about which unis. Choosing the unis depends on a number of things including what the course content is and whether it covers the things you are interested in. If it doesn't, don't apply, even if it is Oxbridge.

You might need to take the TOEFL if English isn't your first language, though if you have taken the IB in English then I wouldn't have thought so. The SATs are unnecessary for UK universities.
Reply 5
Original post by Minerva
There's a big difference between these courses, so my advice to you is to make your mind what you really want to do. Then you start thinking about which unis. Choosing the unis depends on a number of things including what the course content is and whether it covers the things you are interested in. If it doesn't, don't apply, even if it is Oxbridge.

You might need to take the TOEFL if English isn't your first language, though if you have taken the IB in English then I wouldn't have thought so. The SATs are unnecessary for UK universities.

Ya I'm actually quite sure I want to do engineering. However I also saw some courses that were like "Engineering, Economics and Management" at oxford... that however is way to competitive so with my grades I have no chance.
But I also saw for example the UCL one where you do engineering at UCL and business finance at LSE...
are there any other courses like that in good universities accessible with my scores?
Reply 6
Original post by maxm93
Ya I'm actually quite sure I want to do engineering. However I also saw some courses that were like "Engineering, Economics and Management" at oxford... that however is way to competitive so with my grades I have no chance.
But I also saw for example the UCL one where you do engineering at UCL and business finance at LSE...
are there any other courses like that in good universities accessible with my scores?
I've no idea.... I don't have the UCAS prospectus in my head :smile:. Do a search here and see what comes up - then you can check the individual uni websites for the most up-to-date information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending