The Student Room Group

Career Development Loan

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ice_white_tiger

Original post by ice_white_tiger
Sorry to hear that Happy Penguins :frown: I can't believe they strung you along like that!

I don't have any experience in appealing, but all I can say it to keep at it. If you honestly can't think of anything in your credit history that would be a problem - or can but think it was miniscule - then I'd say keep with the appeal. However, it might be worth your while at least enquiring in a Barclays store about how quickly they could process a CDL for you (they might get into gear as its so close to start dates), and maybe talk with your own bank about getting a personal loan; you'd have to start paying it right away, probably, but if you borrowed enough that would cover the repayments for the Masters year and then worked afterwards, you'd be ok. Not ideal, I know, but it's an option.

Keep with the appeal, but definately back yourself up with other options. Hope this kind of helped :smile: fingers crossed for you!

Thanks for the advice ice_white_tiger - if the appeal doesn't go through then a personal loan seems like the only option; but with Co-op searching my credit file so recently it'll have taken my score right down :frown:

Good luck with your course!
Original post by ClarenceSpecial

Original post by ClarenceSpecial
I can't believe what the Co-OP did to you, Happy Penguins, I think it's really terrible. It may be that we're asking these banks to lend us money, but surely they must realise that it can really affect people's lives and should be sensitive to that fact. Do you know what it is on your credit history that might have changed their mind? It seems really odd to me that they wouldn't check all that before telling you you've been provisionally accepted and are going to be sent the forms!

As for applying with Barclays instead, you could try that, but be warned it may take a LONG time, I know some people have had an ok experience with them, but a lot of people seem to complain about them, me definitely included.

Barclays told me on the 8th September I would receive all the forms within 5-7 days. It's now the 24th of September, and guess what?! No forms. Every time I call they tell me 3-5 or 5-7 days. They've now told me the forms were actually sent out on the 15th September. Do I believe that? I don't know. They haven't turned up. I have the feeling this could go on forever.

How long did other people have to wait for their forms to arrive? My course starts next week and this is really starting to worry me!

Yay on getting your forms! I'm not going to go for Barclays - I struggle to find an instance of them not messing things up for people on a significant scale; I don't want my paperwork sent to someone else!

Enjoy your course :smile:
Reply 362
Hi, I've applied to the co op for a CDL. I'm doing a part time MEd course and when I spoke to the woman at the co op on the phone the other day she said that if I was on a part time course then I couldn't ask to borrow living expenses. I told her I'd made an error and to mark me down as being on a full time course, but she said if this wasn't the case then the YPLA might flag it.

Does anyone know if this is likely to happen or might I get away with it?

Do barclays have the same rule?

Would they allow me to borrow for other course related expenses such as computer equip, books, etc?
Original post by nickendo
Hi, I've applied to the co op for a CDL. I'm doing a part time MEd course and when I spoke to the woman at the co op on the phone the other day she said that if I was on a part time course then I couldn't ask to borrow living expenses. I told her I'd made an error and to mark me down as being on a full time course, but she said if this wasn't the case then the YPLA might flag it.

Does anyone know if this is likely to happen or might I get away with it?

Do barclays have the same rule?

Would they allow me to borrow for other course related expenses such as computer equip, books, etc?

Hi,

This is the reason i went with Barclays instead of Co-Op, I'm also doing a part-time course but I need living expenses. With Barclays, you can apply for living expenses even if your course is part time. On the down side, Barclays are very dire administrative and customer service wise.

Co-OP told me, however, that you can apply for funds for course materials, and placements or trips you have to go on for your course, and petrol for travel there and back. You have to put it under the course expenses bit of the application form, and do a breakdown of how much you need for each thing. So if you can somehow make a case for certain things- maybe you need a laptop, or some kind of computer software, or you have to drive 30 miles a day there and back to attend lectures, you could come up with a figure that matches or almost matches what you actually need?
Reply 364
Thanks Clarence. Very helpful...
Hey guys, for anyone who is appealing the declined decision from their application, I just called for an update and they are currently up to dealing with applications received on September 21st so if you appealed after that date (like me) you're looking at next week for a decision.

Just thought it might be handy to know! The guy on the phone told me that you can call for a decision and will be told yes or no but they can't give you any further details - the letter will explain why the decision has been taken to give you the loan or not.

Must be lots of people appealing!
Reply 366
Does anyone think I'd have a chance of slipping through the net if I'd told coop my course was full time and it was in fact part time or do you think the YPLA is pretty on point with this sort of thing??
Reply 367
I just had an extremely stressful phone application with Barclays. I'm not good with phones at the best of times, and having to deal with a strong accent when asking me these questions... woooow.

I also got given a 6 digit number but didn't really catch what it was for, I just scribbled it down as she started going on about something else. Is it my application reference number or something?

Does anyone know how much is weighted on the majority of these questions or do they just take a look at your finances and go from there? So stressed out and worried about this, the 5-7 day wait is going to be killer.

happy_penguins: If you don't mind me asking, what did they decline you for? Or do you know of any typical reasons why they might say no?

Jeeeeez I'm so stressed about all this!
Reply 368
Hi ive applied for a CDL a few weeks ago and just got declined from Barclays because of one 1 returned item fee :frown:.

I desperately need advice now shall i apply for coop or is their policy the same?????

PS pffn i know how u feel its a killer
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 369
Original post by Denz21
Hi ive applied for a CDL a few weeks ago and just got declined from Barclays because of one 1 returned item fee :frown:.

I desperately need advice now shall i apply for coop or is their policy the same?????

PS pffn i know how u feel its a killer

Surely that's the sort of thing you can appeal against though? I'm sure a lot of people have these kinds of things... I'm currently maxed on my overdraft, credit card and took out a loan earlier this year. I've read about people in this thread that are in the same situation but with much larger debts than mine, and they've been approved.

I actually bank with Barclays, and if they decline me, I'm very doubtful that another bank would have a different answer, after all Barclays know all my account history, how my account is run, everything.

Does anybody know how long (on average) the appeal process takes? Another 5-7 days I presume?
Reply 370
I'm with Barclays...just a little annoyed by them, UCL wants a copy of the letter breaking down the payment installments for fees and maintenance. Course started today with no sign of loan, called up Barclays and they refuse to send me the breakdown of the loan until after they have sent me the loan which apparently wont be until next week...UCL may not let me enroll tomorrow unless they have proof they are being paid...argh!
Original post by nickendo
Does anyone think I'd have a chance of slipping through the net if I'd told coop my course was full time and it was in fact part time or do you think the YPLA is pretty on point with this sort of thing??

You'll need proof from your Uni about the course you're doing, and they're unlikely to say you're doing it full time if you're not, so you'd just have to hope that whoever checks your application against the info from the Uni doesn't spot the discrepancy.

I got told by the woman at Co-Op to put down 'placcement' on the course expenses thing and then just basically make up stuff I would need for a placement like travel expenses, equipment etc to make up the amount I needed for living expenses.

I think you'd have more luck doing that than saying the wrong thing on the form which might just make them reject you. If they've already done a search on your credit file before noticing the lie, then that will have brought down your credit rating for no good reason, making it more difficult for you to get something from elsewhere.
Reply 372
I've just worked out that I'm only asking for the equivalent of £26.50 per week (2 year course) for living expenses. I will be working part time during my course, but what I earn barely covers car insurance and my current loan/credit card repayments. I'm living rent free currently (luckily), so what I'm asking for will basically go on food/petrol/equipment.

Hopefully they'll see it in terms of "Oh he doesn't want much, that's a reasonable request" instead of "Oh well it's only £26.50, I'm sure he can find that elsewhere".
Reply 373
Does anybody know when we get our first installment? I've already sent off the uni confirmation form and start uni next Monday...
Reply 374
Original post by Shiv_Shiv
Does anybody know when we get our first installment? I've already sent off the uni confirmation form and start uni next Monday...

From the Barclays website:

The loan funds will be provided on a staged payment basis. This will only apply to the course element of the loan, for course fees over £1,000 and where the course length is over three months.

The funds required for living expenses will be paid in a lump sum at the outset of the loan.

I'm pretty sure the course fees go straight to the provider, and yeah, you just get your living expenses in one go at the start.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by aimzdy
I'm with Barclays...just a little annoyed by them, UCL wants a copy of the letter breaking down the payment installments for fees and maintenance. Course started today with no sign of loan, called up Barclays and they refuse to send me the breakdown of the loan until after they have sent me the loan which apparently wont be until next week...UCL may not let me enroll tomorrow unless they have proof they are being paid...argh!

You can enrol at UCL without paying - they won't even ask you about it. You need to pay 50% of the fees by sometime in October, I can't remember the date. So relax!
Reply 376
Original post by violet_letters
You can enrol at UCL without paying - they won't even ask you about it. You need to pay 50% of the fees by sometime in October, I can't remember the date. So relax!

yeah i found out today, however im just worried that barclays are going to be late with the payments in which case i will be screwed as i can't afford the fees at all without the loan.
Thought this might be of interest for people wondering which bank to go with....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15077344
Reply 378
Hi all,

I'm due to start a Masters next year, and I'd be looking to partly fund this through a CDL.
Some people here have mentioned needing to send off bank statements for this - I've 'gone green' and haven't received a paper bank statement for about a year now. Seeing as I'll be applying for a loan next year, do you think it would be best for me to switch back to receiving paper statements so I've got some evidence when applying for the loan?
I'm also considering applying for a Barclays/co-op account now, so that I've already got one when I apply, I'm guessing this might speed up the process?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply 379
Original post by pffn
From the Barclays website:

The loan funds will be provided on a staged payment basis. This will only apply to the course element of the loan, for course fees over £1,000 and where the course length is over three months.

The funds required for living expenses will be paid in a lump sum at the outset of the loan.

I'm pretty sure the course fees go straight to the provider, and yeah, you just get your living expenses in one go at the start.

I know how it's paid :smile:
I just wanted to know if anybody got their living expenses on the day their course started or was there a delay from starting your course to receiving money in your bank account?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending