The Student Room Group

Career Development Loan

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neelambri
Barclays are an absolute joke. Went in to the branch to set up a profile and send my application off which all went fine. Got a text the next day that said "We have received your application aand you will hear back from us in 10 days time". Its been 3 days but I thought I would call just to check how it was going. They told me my course hadn't been registered so they couldn't accept it yet. I asked them if they were planning on telling me this and they said no and that I had 7 days to get it registered or they will reject me . I then called my university and asked them to register the course but they said this will take a week as the person in charge of that is away. Called Barclays back and asked for an extension and they said they are STOPPING the CDL and this was the last week to accept applications so if I didn't get it registered then that was it. If I hadn't called them and chased them they would never have got back to me and the deadline would have just passed and I would have been rejected. Speaking to them on the phone is painful too as they are all clearly just reading from a script and don't listen to what you are saying.

Going to the Co-Op.

I'm having trouble too.

To cut a long story short, I received a letter saying my application couldn't be processed because I had to go into the bank to give them copies of my ID. I've done this twice already. twice. they're saying I have 5 days to resubmit this information. I guess they have given me that deadline because of the rumours they are getting rid of this loan. I am going to be studying in Sweden, so I can't apply for the new replacement loan. I'm also already in Sweden (I came over a little earlier) so i literally can't go back into a Barclays bank in the next 5 days.

I am very frustrated as I had someone check my application before I left the UK. Actually, I had it checked twice in branch. It's also worrying that they seemed to have lost the copies of my passport and credit card statements. that worries me a lot.
(edited 7 years ago)
Also another question - if Co op is still running the PCDL, do I have to apply now? Or can you apply say half way through your course?
Original post by Flossy_
Also another question - if Co op is still running the PCDL, do I have to apply now? Or can you apply say half way through your course?

Hi sorry for the late reply - I didn't get a notification that you had posted. Barclays did that to me as well, sent my entire application back saying I was missing things that the branch confirmed I had! I have a feeling because they are stopping the loan they are just making things difficult. I cancelled my application and applied through the co-op instead. So much easier and it's all done online. You can do it now or whenever you want during your course
Original post by peaskarr
So, only the Co-op from now on? I've just opened a student account with Barclays to have it easier to get CDL, whereas Co-op rejected my application for a student account with me without giving a reason...

I was told that barclays have stopped now but you should double check. You don't have to have a student account with the co-op to get a PCDL with them?
Barclays scrapped because, as the adviser told me, now the UK government is offering postgraduate student loans.

The Co-op does offer them but what's the point if you can get one from the government which offers a much better deal, in terms of paying it back? Also, you can apply with the Co-op only if you're a UK citizen.
Barclays scrapped because, as the adviser told me, now the UK government is offering postgraduate student loans.

The Co-op does offer them but what's the point if you can get one from the government which offers a much better deal, in terms of paying it back? Also, you can apply with the Co-op only if you're a UK citizen.

I think because the maximum you can get from the government is £10,000 and your Masters may be more than that. I need £14,000 for my tuition fees nd accommodation at York plus living expenses and I know in London tuition fees is even higher.

Because they are not the same.
A career development loan is targeted at career orientated qualifications.
PGL are targeted at masters level qualifocations.
Original post by Flossy_
I'm having trouble too.

To cut a long story short, I received a letter saying my application couldn't be processed because I had to go into the bank to give them copies of my ID. I've done this twice already. twice. they're saying I have 5 days to resubmit this information. I guess they have given me that deadline because of the rumours they are getting rid of this loan. I am going to be studying in Sweden, so I can't apply for the new replacement loan. I'm also already in Sweden (I came over a little earlier) so i literally can't go back into a Barclays bank in the next 5 days.

I am very frustrated as I had someone check my application before I left the UK. Actually, I had it checked twice in branch. It's also worrying that they seemed to have lost the copies of my passport and credit card statements. that worries me a lot.

Hey, if you're still in the same situation I applied through the Co-Op online. They told me they were going to process the application on 1st August and would get back to me in a few weeks - they actually called that same afternoon and said I was accepted! So much easier to deal with and they didn't even ask for bank statements etc
Hey, if you're still in the same situation I applied through the Co-Op online. They told me they were going to process the application on 1st August and would get back to me in a few weeks - they actually called that same afternoon and said I was accepted! So much easier to deal with and they didn't even ask for bank statements etc

Hey, how long did the co op take?
Hey Guys,
I got a call from Co op that I was accepted too and can only fund 8k out of the 10k I requested for which I accepted with pleasure . Not bad at all.
But it is over 2weeks now and am yet to receive any document from....worried.
Original post by fellybabe
Hey Guys,
I got a call from Co op that I was accepted too and can only fund 8k out of the 10k I requested for which I accepted with pleasure . Not bad at all.
But it is over 2weeks now and am yet to receive any document from....worried.

How comes? You've got me worried now :P. And how long did it take for them to get back to you from when you applied?
Original post by 99_Problems
How comes? You've got me worried now :P. And how long did it take for them to get back to you from when you applied?

hi,
It took only 7working days.*
hi,

Thanks! :smile:

It's been like three weeks for me and heard nothing so I'd best give them a call...

hi,

Guys, you know the Course Start Notification form that they send you are you sending that to your university straight away for them to fill in and send to the bank or do you wait until you are there at the university starting and registered?
Does anyone have an experience of being rejected by co-op for the PCDL and appealing and being awarded the loan? I'm on a two year PGDip course including significant clinical placemnt and I am not entitled to the new postgrad loan beacuse my course is PGDip not MSc so the PCDL is my only source of any extra funding, except a small stipend, so I'm kinds of relying on it and getting quite worried I might be rejected and want to be prepared if I need to appeal it.
I think because the maximum you can get from the government is £10,000 and your Masters may be more than that. I need £14,000 for my tuition fees nd accommodation at York plus living expenses and I know in London tuition fees is even higher.

Isn't the maximum of a career loan 10k as well? They told me the maximum was 10k (Barclays) but as I was working full time for more than 3 months they only gave me 80% of that anyway
I applied for a cdl from Co-op in 2015 I have just finished my course and my first payment will be taken this month. I want to ask Co-op if I can postpone payment for one month as I don't have much money atm but I will start working my new job in the beginning of October and will be able to pay them once I start working and get paid.

I want to ask has anyone asked the Co-op or even barclays to postpone the payment and what did they say? If it is possible any advice on the best way to handle this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bluemountain
I applied for a cdl from Co-op in 2015 I have just finished my course and my first payment will be taken this month. I want to ask Co-op if I can postpone payment for one month as I don't have much money atm but I will start working my new job in the beginning of October and will be able to pay them once I start working and get paid.

I want to ask has anyone asked the Co-op or even barclays to postpone the payment and what did they say? If it is possible any advice on the best way to handle this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would call and ask.

However, don't stick with Co-Op in any case. Find the lowest interest 3-4-5yr loan that you can afford and pay of the Co-Op CDL. You will save in the long-term.
Original post by bluemountain

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe they can make a specific allowance for this situation. You might as well just ring them rather than me looking it up for you. If you give them details of your new job then they should be fine.
Original post by bluemohito
I would call and ask.

However, don't stick with Co-Op in any case. Find the lowest interest 3-4-5yr loan that you can afford and pay of the Co-Op CDL. You will save in the long-term.

I always thought the interest on the Co-op loan was low if not reasonable but I have had others say otherwise. I shall look into other loans and see if it will help me save money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending