The Student Room Group

Peninsula vs Southampton!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by hsparkle
SO excited!!!!!!!!!!

Hey I have an offer from peninsula (thank god I'm in after a first ucas cycle of 4 medical rejections lol) and even though i'm extremely grateful and happy over it, I'm still hoping to receive an offer from my first choice: Southampton. How's Southampton going? And how do the advantages of Southampton over Peninsula show now that you're studying there?
Reply 101
Original post by fdecas150
Hey I have an offer from peninsula (thank god I'm in after a first ucas cycle of 4 medical rejections lol) and even though i'm extremely grateful and happy over it, I'm still hoping to receive an offer from my first choice: Southampton. How's Southampton going? And how do the advantages of Southampton over Peninsula show now that you're studying there?

Hey :smile:

Sorry for the late reply, don't check this that much anymore.
WELL!
First of all CONGRATS on your offer :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: that is fantastic news :biggrin: To be honest, what I realised in the end is that wherever you go (as long as you work hard) you will become a doctor irregardless of where you study!
Having said that...
Southampton is AMAZING!!!

I didn't actually have an offer at Peninsula (i was deciding between: BSMS, Liverpool and So'ton) And it is really hard.. because it will affect the rest of your life.

I ruled Liverpool out because I live in the southeast therefore staying down south is more convenient (my mum said she would make me train it.. haha) plus.. they do PBL which i was a bit scared about having gotten a tad complacent on my gap year..

Next.. the decision between BSMS and Southampton. Genuinely in the end just decided I preferred the area better in southampton (courses are very very similar - BSMS is modelled off soton) (However, I think PMS has an element of PBL? and also is split over two sites? This may be a disadvantage to you? I'm not sure)

My advice is look around both and see where you can see yourself living. Look at the cities and the uni buildings. After all you will be spending 5 years there.

Sorry, think I got distracted. Basically, Southamptons course is amazing. It is focussed on making you the best possible doctor right from the start. I love it here and will never regret my decision :smile:

Please feel free to message me if you have any other questions.
Reply 102
Original post by hsparkle
Hey :smile:

Sorry for the late reply, don't check this that much anymore.
WELL!
First of all CONGRATS on your offer :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: that is fantastic news :biggrin: To be honest, what I realised in the end is that wherever you go (as long as you work hard) you will become a doctor irregardless of where you study!
Having said that...
Southampton is AMAZING!!!

I didn't actually have an offer at Peninsula (i was deciding between: BSMS, Liverpool and So'ton) And it is really hard.. because it will affect the rest of your life.

I ruled Liverpool out because I live in the southeast therefore staying down south is more convenient (my mum said she would make me train it.. haha) plus.. they do PBL which i was a bit scared about having gotten a tad complacent on my gap year..

Next.. the decision between BSMS and Southampton. Genuinely in the end just decided I preferred the area better in southampton (courses are very very similar - BSMS is modelled off soton) (However, I think PMS has an element of PBL? and also is split over two sites? This may be a disadvantage to you? I'm not sure)

My advice is look around both and see where you can see yourself living. Look at the cities and the uni buildings. After all you will be spending 5 years there.

Sorry, think I got distracted. Basically, Southamptons course is amazing. It is focussed on making you the best possible doctor right from the start. I love it here and will never regret my decision :smile:

Please feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

lol thank you so much for the reply! to be honest i thought this tread was permanently dead haha

great advice, and I definitely want to go check out peninsula campuses (i've been to a southampton open day already) but only if i get an offer from southampton. Like I said, I'm extremely happy to be getting into medicine and to get at least one offer, but it would be nice if I had options like you did!

Is it right to say that Southampton doesn't do PBL? And do you learn any surgical procedures (at least suturing) and do you have clinical placements in the first year?

Thanks Again, and hope you're on the road to becoming a great doctor!
Reply 103
Original post by Revan1989
I would say Southampton because

we have prosection, as in actual dead bodies, whilst peninsula uses computer technology
we are lecture based which i think easier and more fun
we have one of the best medsocs in the entire freaking world and we sure as hell know how to have a good time
we have a place called JESTERS which is the greatest place on Earth
we are a more established medical school
we have just built a pretty new medical building which you will benefit from

bias from a 4th year medic at southampton uni

Pahaha I'm from Southampton and my brother is at Southampton uni - I concur, Jesters is an experience. Definitely a cult student phenomena :biggrin:
Reply 104
Original post by fdecas150
lol thank you so much for the reply! to be honest i thought this tread was permanently dead haha

great advice, and I definitely want to go check out peninsula campuses (i've been to a southampton open day already) but only if i get an offer from southampton. Like I said, I'm extremely happy to be getting into medicine and to get at least one offer, but it would be nice if I had options like you did!

Is it right to say that Southampton doesn't do PBL? And do you learn any surgical procedures (at least suturing) and do you have clinical placements in the first year?

Thanks Again, and hope you're on the road to becoming a great doctor!

Hey sorry again for taking so long to reply!

Have you had any more responses?

You are correct in thinking that Southampton does not do PBL. Personally I think this is a good thing at the beginning (altho that does not take away from the fact that some lectures are EXTREMELY dry.... but it means you always have a framework of the slides as a learning tool - you know the depth which you need to know things).

We have MIP (medicine in practice) every fortnight. This is based in a GP practice with a GP tutor and is absolutely the best bit of the course!
So far we have learned how to take detailed medical historys from a patient and are starting clinical skills with regards to the system we are currently studying (respiratory).

Not sure about surgical procedures. but i have a friend who joined the surgical society and has done all that stuff already. so if you are interested in it then you definitely can get involved :biggrin:

Passed my first semester so buzzzing :biggrin: haha hope you are good :biggrin:
Reply 105
Original post by Spanner89
Pahaha I'm from Southampton and my brother is at Southampton uni - I concur, Jesters is an experience. Definitely a cult student phenomena :biggrin:

Jesters is a bit like marmite... you either love it or hate it haha..

however, the majority of medics LOVEEE it!
Southampton ftw

Quick Reply