The Student Room Group

What do you study when you're interested in EVERYTHING???

Scroll to see replies

being interested in everything is like being interested in nothing
it sounds as though the OP needs to mature a little more (not an insult)
Have you looked at combined honours? I think they're only offered at newcastle and durham (please correct if I'm wrong) and they still do have a limited choice of courses....

you're doing summer schools, maybe try some work experiences too? that way you can maybe get an idea in what you're interested in? It would also look great on your ucas :L
do physics & philosophy with an erasmus year. that will give you: maths, science, arts, language all in one satisfying combination.
Original post by candide
I regret not doing more science highers this year.

Ha, I blame my situation on the lack of nightlife in the Hebrides. What else can you do but read in the long winter months?

I did once do some medical work experience. At a GP's surgery. Easily the most boring week ever.

Yes, I've been thinking of trying to get Lab experience somewhere. loads of people on SR seem to have done it. I dunno where to start tho, the nearest lab here is the dog next door.

Yeah, you might of been able to narrow down your choices doing one or two sciences this year, but you can always take them up as a higher next year. Try contacting hospitals or looking up your nearest labs online and contacting them.

I had to +rep you for your comment about the labs! :p: It made me smile :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by CoontBrainSpine
being interested in everything is like being interested in nothing
it sounds as though the OP needs to mature a little more (not an insult)

Ever heard of a guy called EO Wilson? He was a biologist who was interested in EVERYTHING and myrmecology...

I know I have to focus in on something eventually.

I realize that.

So I won't take it as an insult!
General studies? :smile:
Why not take a gap year until you have a better idea?
Reply 27
How about Human Sciences, they do it at Oxford, UCL and Sussex
Reply 28
Probably have to pick between arts and sciences
But you're in Scotland, right? Might not be all but some of the major ones at least let you do three subjects for two years (although you can drop one from the first year and pick something else to replace it in your second, making it four) and even after that you can do two as a dual honours degree
Geography, the main reason I do it is because it encompasses so much
Reply 30
Physics: the study of the universe!
Reply 31
St Andrews would be a good option for you.
You can apply for one thing and then also do 2 other modules each semester.
So for example, last semester I did Modern History, Ancient History and International Relations. And I didn't like IR so I'm dropping it for Medievel History. and then next year I think i'll drop Medievel for Classics or Greek or Latin (or might do one semester in greek/latin and one in classics.) there really is alot of choice. and provided that you do one subject for the whole two years, you can chop and change like I'm doing if you want)
You then specialize in third year but can still do a joint honours if you want. You can end up completely changing your degree from what you originally applied for.
Reply 32
Perhaps something like history, philosophy or human sciences? Or combined honours? It's a good idea to do a few summer schools - it will definitely help you decide what's best for you. You would love secondary schools here in Flanders - I had to do 17 subjects! :P
I can only second what several people have already said: perhaps take a gap year and try out something like the Open University? Being interested in something is quite different from the passion you need for a subject to actually study it, so that could help you narrow down your choices. Also, it sounds like you would be perfectly suited to study in the US - have you checked out that option?
It can be difficult to find out what exactly you are best suited for, so take your time to decide - don't rush into something that you won't enjoy! Good luck :smile:
Geography.

History, politics, biology, chemistry, physics, IT & computing, socilology (:ahee:) and a load more . . . there's lots of aspects of geography that might tickle your fancy! Geography can be linked in to pretty much anything that has some spatial element to it. Oh, and maps :awesome:

Politics, especially as part of a joint honours degree, might also be a good choice.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
MATHS. :biggrin:

Nah but seriously, I was like you up untill the summer before i had to apply, had noooo idea at all what I wanted to study, managed to narrow it down to either Maths or Chemistry and then one day someone asked me what I was applying for... and I told them Maths. Where the hell did that come from?! So yeah, like someone said, big decisions like this take time to grow in your brain. Don't overly stress about it. Do some digging into whatever takes your fancy and you'll find you lead yourself down a path you enjoy. Good Luck :smile:
Reply 35
im quite the opposite. I love some branches of knowledge and absolutely despise others, namely biology.
wait, sorry, you're doing SIX highers? man. the hebrides must be boring.

Well, what do you want to do after uni? Do you have a field in mind? i know you say you're interested in everything (and I'm a bit the same...I'm doing English, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and German, so it's a mix of language and science) but you must feel drawn more to one type of job than another. And if not, which has better prospects?

Call me old-fashioned, but I'd like to study something I know will help me get a job in the future :L
Unless you're rich, in which case just do whatever the hell you want. Choose a fun course. If I won the lottery I'd go and do Ancient History with Linguistics or Theatre Studies or something, but until then I'm probably going to apply for a science/health course I can actually get a job with.
Reply 37
Original post by jabberwocky43219

Call me old-fashioned, but I'd like to study something I know will help me get a job in the future :L
Unless you're rich, in which case just do whatever the hell you want. Choose a fun course. If I won the lottery I'd go and do Ancient History with Linguistics or Theatre Studies or something, but until then I'm probably going to apply for a science/health course I can actually get a job with.

THIS. Oh, I get you perfectly!
I'll be applying to Uni next year and at the moment, my heart is telling me to apply for Ancient History/Archaeology, which I would absolutely love to study but its something that is more of a course to study for the interest than to get a career out of at the end to it. And I can't afford to pay the fees for something that I won't be able to find a definite career in. My head is telling me to go for Speech and Language Therapy which I could easily get a career out of but just seems a little dry. :-/
Reply 38
I'd say I have a 'polite interest' in how everything works. I allowed this to influence my choice of study and chose a composite engineering-architecture degree. I guess you're in a good position as whatever you choose to study, you will most likely enjoy.
Reply 39
Physics and Philosophy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(not that I'm biased in any way at all...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending