The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I went with my son to St Andrews visiting day this week and I've got a couple questions.If he gets in he will be flying into Edinburgh, I see that there's a shuttle type bus between the uni and Edinburgh airport which is £20 each way if it's full and £60 if it's not, is it usually full and is it reliable? Also, he's a climber/ mountaineer is the mountaineering club well attended and fun? Thanks
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
Hi, I went with my son to St Andrews visiting day this week and I've got a couple questions.If he gets in he will be flying into Edinburgh, I see that there's a shuttle type bus between the uni and Edinburgh airport which is £20 each way if it's full and £60 if it's not, is it usually full and is it reliable? Also, he's a climber/ mountaineer is the mountaineering club well attended and fun? Thanks

He can get the tram/ bus to Haymarket, then the train to Leuchars and then the bus to St Andrews. Or if you're from down south, he could just get trains the full way. I haven't heard of a shuttle bus between the airport and St A's, but it sounds sensible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9002

Yes there is a shuttle service run by a private local company here in St Andrews, it seems quite popular and its used a lot around the breaks and between the semesters. I've never used it but I know people who have and they've never said anything bad about it.

Alternatively:
Airport -> Bus to Halbeath Park & Ride -> Bus straight into St Andrews
Airport -> Bus to Inverkeithing rail station -> Train to Leuchars -> Bus to St Andrews.

Or just get your own Taxi.
This is a slightly random question, but I'm coming to the visiting day on Wednesday and I was just wondering if anyone knew the bus fare from Leuchars to St Andrews?

Also, if the bus stops near the university?

Anyone else coming on Wednesday? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LamantChenille
This is a slightly random question, but I'm coming to the visiting day on Wednesday and I was just wondering if anyone knew the bus fare from Leuchars to St Andrews?

Also, if the bus stops near the university?

Anyone else coming on Wednesday? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last time I got the bus a return fare was £5.05 and you can make the return journey at any point within 30 days of buying your ticket. The university is spread around the town rather than all in one place, but nowhere is far to walk. There's a map here - you will get off at the bus station (21 on map) and I imagine you'd be told to go to Sallies quad in which case head for number 50 on the map/ the big clock tower.
Original post by hayheyley
Last time I got the bus a return fare was £5.05 and you can make the return journey at any point within 30 days of buying your ticket. The university is spread around the town rather than all in one place, but nowhere is far to walk. There's a map here - you will get off at the bus station (21 on map) and I imagine you'd be told to go to Sallies quad in which case head for number 50 on the map/ the big clock tower.

St Andrews is very compact, the visiting day registration is in Sallies quad. The talks about applying to St Andrews etc. are held there too or nearby.
Original post by hayheyley

St Andrews is very compact, the visiting day registration is in Sallies quad. The talks about applying to St Andrews etc. are held there too or nearby.

Thank you!! :biggrin:

Is the quad open again? Visiting days last semester started from lower college lawn
It's by the clock tower on North Street, there's a big banner :-)
It's by the clock tower on North Street, there's a big banner :-)

I know where it is, I lived in sallies last year :smile:
Haven't been up there recently though, and as we gave tours starting from lower college lawn last semester because of the building works, I just wasn't sure if we were giving them from sallies quad again now (I'm not ambassadoring this semester so I haven't heard)
Original post by theresheglows
I know where it is, I lived in sallies last year :smile:
Haven't been up there recently though, and as we gave tours starting from lower college lawn last semester because of the building works, I just wasn't sure if we were giving them from sallies quad again now (I'm not ambassadoring this semester so I haven't heard)

It wasn't finished when I was there a fortnight ago, and I had to go in the side door to get to the Hebdomadar's block, but I don't know what that would mean for the visiting days.
Hi,

I am coming to St. Andrews for a semester abroad in summer 2015.
Prior to confirming the offer, I´d be interested in the grades given at St. Andrews.

I´ve read that you´re using a 20-point-scale.
Can you tell me anything about average grades?
Are you happy to receive 10 points or do you belong to the worst in class with 15; do somewhat 80% in class pass between 12 or 15?
I´d be thankful for every comment.
Thanks

Lukas
Original post by lukaszoellner
Hi,

Prior to confirming the offer, I´d be interested in the grades given at St. Andrews.

Are you happy to receive 10 points or do you belong to the worst in class with 15; do somewhat 80% in class pass between 12 or 15?
Thanks

Lukas

Well, we're not technically supposed to share grades, so couldn't tell you what average grades are like (especially without knowing a subject). I think they're pretty much all over the map. I know on my classics course last year I heard of people finishing with 9s and people finishing with 19s.

Here is the grading scale: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/staff/teaching/examinations/scale/

So ideally you want between a 14 and a 20 to get an upper second or a first (which I assume is most people's goal).
Original post by lukaszoellner
Hi,

Thanks

Lukas

7 is a pass (but wouldn't get you honours if that was your overall score for your degree), 8 is 3rd class, 11 is a 2.2, 14 is a 2.1, 17 to 20 is a 1st class. Most people want at least a 2.1, but average grades depend on the subject and the people taking it that semester/year.

At most universities a 1st is equivalent to over either 70% or 80%, to give you a guide as to how high you have to score to get a 17. For most subjects 15 is probably about average. I don't know of anyone who'd be happy with 10.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9014
How do I indicate on my accommodation application form that I would like to share a room with a specific person? We both are from the same school and get along great. Does it matter if that person is of the opposite sex? We are hoping to share a self-catered ensuite room together.
Original post by RPA123
How do I indicate on my accommodation application form that I would like to share a room with a specific person? We both are from the same school and get along great. Does it matter if that person is of the opposite sex? We are hoping to share a self-catered ensuite room together.

I know two boys who were in the similar situation and I know they rang the accommodation services and asked and by some miracle they got put in the same room.

As for co-ed rooms, that will never happen. If you want to live near each other your best bet is DRA, ring accommodation services and ask to be put in the same flat. As far as I know there is no shared, self-catered ensuites anyway.
Original post by holly.22
I know two boys who were in the similar situation and I know they rang the accommodation services and asked and by some miracle they got put in the same room.

As for co-ed rooms, that will never happen. If you want to live near each other your best bet is DRA, ring accommodation services and ask to be put in the same flat. As far as I know there is no shared, self-catered ensuites anyway.

It is odd that mixed sex room shares aren't allowed when a good number in the same hall end up getting with each other anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by holly.22

The only shared, self-catered, ensuites are in ABH (and there's only about 20 of them). And they would never have coed rooms :P
Hi there,

Is it possible to change ur intended degree in ur first year's pre-advising period? For example, from biology to computer science? (These two have time clash, so I can't take both and change my program in the second year)....

Thank you very much!!!!
If I have been awarded a Wardlaw scholarship, am I still eligible for the Accommodation Award?

Latest

Trending

Trending