The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Vets out there? Transport Question?

Hey peeps, i plan on firming my offer from E but am quite concerned about the accommodation...it seems that all the catered ones are at Pollock Halls...which means it will take quite a while to get to Easter Bush. Does anyone have any experience living in PH and having to travel to EB? The transport across 8 miles is 1hour including walking and bus rides...(according to google map==)
Reply 1
I only lived at Pollock for 6 weeks, before moving into my 'permanent' residence (the GEP program starts before the residences officially open). While it wasn't for me (for other reasons-e.g. I like to cook my own food) it is a short walk to Summerhall, and the 67 bus leaves from there to go to the Bush (about a 25-30min bus ride). I did it a handful of times while living at Pollock.

I think the 1hour is pushing it for sure-by 'short walk' I would estimate 10min, 15 tops, and I'm not a particularly fast walker.
Reply 2
Original post by Tarnia
I only lived at Pollock for 6 weeks, before moving into my 'permanent' residence (the GEP program starts before the residences officially open). While it wasn't for me (for other reasons-e.g. I like to cook my own food) it is a short walk to Summerhall, and the 67 bus leaves from there to go to the Bush (about a 25-30min bus ride). I did it a handful of times while living at Pollock.

I think the 1hour is pushing it for sure-by 'short walk' I would estimate 10min, 15 tops, and I'm not a particularly fast walker.

Thank you so much for the advice :smile:...I was at EB last week and they said they're tearing down Summerhall and now all the classes would be at EB...just slightly worried about the transportation :P
Reply 3
All classes will be at the Bush, but as far as I know the buses still will be stopping at that bus stop to pick up passengers. You can view the route for the buses at www.lothianbuses.com...the one I'm referring to is the 67 but there are two other routes being added (37 and 47 I think) and there is also the 15A.
Reply 4
Also, classmates that stayed at Pollock found that they were not provided with meals over the breaks (and sometimes just before breaks-e.g. breakfast/dinner day before). If they wanted to keep their room over the breaks, they were charged for it, as apparently 'out-of-term' time was not included in their original fee. If you did not pay for your room over the breaks, they rented it out to the public so you were expected to move your stuff out.

I was surprised by this as my prior university didn't do this, but a classmate that had studied in the UK said it is quite common (a lot of residences here seem to double as public hostels so use the 'residence' at off-times for the public. And since it isn't term-time and students like to save money, they only charge you for it if you want/need it). So since I don't know what your background is, thought I'd throw it out there.
Reply 5
Original post by Tarnia
Also, classmates that stayed at Pollock found that they were not provided with meals over the breaks (and sometimes just before breaks-e.g. breakfast/dinner day before). If they wanted to keep their room over the breaks, they were charged for it, as apparently 'out-of-term' time was not included in their original fee. If you did not pay for your room over the breaks, they rented it out to the public so you were expected to move your stuff out.

I was surprised by this as my prior university didn't do this, but a classmate that had studied in the UK said it is quite common (a lot of residences here seem to double as public hostels so use the 'residence' at off-times for the public. And since it isn't term-time and students like to save money, they only charge you for it if you want/need it). So since I don't know what your background is, thought I'd throw it out there.

really? then maybe i should check again with them...cuz on their accommodation website now they say it includes spring break and xmas break times...wonder which years your classmates lived at the skul accommodations....
Reply 6
School year August 2009-June 2010 so perhaps they have changed it. There was quite a bit of frustration with this and also other residences last year that claimed their contract only went to May 30th and tried to kick us out (vet students go a week later than regular Edinburgh Uni students-so through the first week of June).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending