The Student Room Group

Computing a-level. Fun or Boring? (exam board: OCR)

Hi, I'm in year11 and I'm thinking of doing computing a-level. I haven't completely made up my mind yet but could anyone tell me what it's like?

My other chosen a-levels are physics, maths and further maths

1. Is it hard?

2. Is it interesting?

3. How many hours of work do you put into computing? (as-level)

4. Are exams hard? :confused: is it something you can revise for or lots of wordy comprehension questions?

I know these questions are subjective but I want to know your experience with computing a-level

Reply 1
Original post by 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hi, I'm in year11 and I'm thinking of doing computing a-level. I haven't completely made up my mind yet but could anyone tell me what it's like?

1. Is it hard?

2. Is it interesting?

4. Are exams hard? :confused: is it something you can revise for or lots of wordy comprehension questions?

I know these questions are subjective but I want to know your experience with computing a-level

hey, i'm just finishing the A2 for computing (OCR) :smile:

1. I wouldn't say it is any harder than your other alevel choices. I found the first year introduced some basic computing foundations you need to learn to take the theory exam (F451) and the programming exam (F452). The programming exam is not hard :P you just need to understand basic programming logic flow to write an algorithm in pseudo code (your own 'made up' language)
In A2, you build upon this knowledge to take an advanced theory exam (F453) with a coursework project (F454). F454 needs a lot of time put into it!

2. I'd definitely say this course has been very interesting and most definitely helped me with my programming skills

3. AS-level: 10h lessons + 1h revision/hw (revise a month or 2 before the exam)
A2-level: 10h lessons + 1h revision/hw (many many hours on the c/w)

4. The past papers available tend to include the questions you will be asked, so they are very useful. To revise for the exams, I just made a pdf with all the key points written in bullet points. There are a few models/concepts you'll need to understand

I personally think computing is far more advantageous than further maths is in terms of applying to university.

Nice choices btw.
Original post by JonathanJon

hey, i'm just finishing the A2 for computing (OCR) :smile:

1. I wouldn't say it is any harder than your other alevel choices. I found the first year introduced some basic computing foundations you need to learn to take the theory exam (F451) and the programming exam (F452). The programming exam is not hard :P you just need to understand basic programming logic flow to write an algorithm in pseudo code (your own 'made up' language)
In A2, you build upon this knowledge to take an advanced theory exam (F453) with a coursework project (F454). F454 needs a lot of time put into it!

2. I'd definitely say this course has been very interesting and most definitely helped me with my programming skills

3. AS-level: 10h lessons + 1h revision/hw (revise a month or 2 before the exam)
A2-level: 10h lessons + 1h revision/hw (many many hours on the c/w)

4. The past papers available tend to include the questions you will be asked, so they are very useful. To revise for the exams, I just made a pdf with all the key points written in bullet points. There are a few models/concepts you'll need to understand

I personally think computing is far more advantageous than further maths is in terms of applying to university.

Nice choices btw.

hey

wow do you have 10hrs of lessons per week? :biggrin:
I have 4-5hrs/week
Reply 3
hey

wow do you have 10hrs of lessons per week? :biggrin:
I have 4-5hrs/week

np,

I have 10 hours of lessons a fortnight :P

Good luck with your GCSEs :smile:

np,

I have 10 hours of lessons a fortnight :P

Good luck with your GCSEs :smile:

1. Is it hard?

2. Is it interesting?

I don't actually do computing A level but I know people who do. (if you know you definately want to go into a computing carreer I'd recomend a BTEC national diploma in IT so much more, You learn a much more broader range of skills, It's interesting as there isn't a whole 2 years concentrated on programming like an A level, just all In all good, and It got me into uni for computer science perfectly fine)

1). Well it's basically 2 years of programming you don't really learn anything else if I'm honest but yes It is hard if you don't listen and concentrate if you listen about everything being said and apply it correctly you should have no trouble, but this is the same for any subject.

2). Umm depending on your interests it is. It's all programming as I've mentioned so if you like programming yes, you will learn a lot from it.

3). Same as any other subject 4-5 ish.

4). If you know what your saying and have concentrated all year you will be fine.

Hope you enjoy what you do!
Original post by burgergetsbored

Original post by burgergetsbored
I don't actually do computing A level but I know people who do. (if you know you definately want to go into a computing carreer I'd recomend a BTEC national diploma in IT so much more, You learn a much more broader range of skills, It's interesting as there isn't a whole 2 years concentrated on programming like an A level, just all In all good, and It got me into uni for computer science perfectly fine)

1). Well it's basically 2 years of programming you don't really learn anything else if I'm honest but yes It is hard if you don't listen and concentrate if you listen about everything being said and apply it correctly you should have no trouble, but this is the same for any subject.

2). Umm depending on your interests it is. It's all programming as I've mentioned so if you like programming yes, you will learn a lot from it.

3). Same as any other subject 4-5 ish.

4). If you know what your saying and have concentrated all year you will be fine.

Hope you enjoy what you do!

great :smile: thanks
Reply 7
I wouldn’t say it is all programming.

there are 4 modules:

F451: Computer fundamentals (what is software? what is hardware?... the architecture of a computer)

F452: Programming techniques and logical methods (you learn how to program. for the exam you only need to write in pseudo code)

F453: Advanced computing theory (F451 but in more detail)

F454: Coursework (you create a system with a language you like, but the actual programming bit doesn’t hold many of the marks for this module, the design and testing does)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending