The Student Room Group

Michael Jackson, John Lennon, or Freddie Mercury - who was the greatest, and why?

Scroll to see replies

Obviously Lennon. No one else even comes close.
Bowie.
Reply 62
Original post by jrichardson21
Hahahahahahahaha.

he's right - Lennon's in a league of his own
Reply 63
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
I'm surprised about the beatles tbh. This site and last fm seem to be the only places I know of where people like the Beatles. I have never met anyone irl who likes them who aisn't in like their 50s.

Good picks. What do u think of it's late? A personal fave of mine

Definitely one of my top 10.

The Beatles made the best music though! I live on Abbey Road so constantly see I see Beatles fans daily, most are in the age range of 15 - 40!
Original post by ArcadiaHouse

Nobody can replace Freddie Mercury (talent AND charisma) but you've got to admit that guy can sing. :yep:

Yeahh that vid is pretty epic, the guy can sing very well, still not Freddie though, I'd have given anything to see Queen :frown:
Michael Jackson hands down.

His music was original and gave a whole new dimension to the music industry with his "short film" videos. Not to mention having a record for the best selling album of all time. Moreover, his revolutionary and inimitable dance moves than deify the laws of physics are well known and inspire many contemporary music artists such as Usher and Justin Timberlake. Furthermore, his music has literally touched people'a lives and he is one of the most famous individuals in the world.

He has done things that no musician before him ever done and no musician after him would dare to do. Take the video below for example, who has and who can do that?

His met presidents, politicians, and other important people. When he died, the world virtually stopped for a second, all week news everywhere was about Him. Even president Obama had to make a speech.

edit:

In the words of Beyoncé: "you have star, superstar, and Michael Jackson"
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 66
Hahahahahahahaha.

Seriously, he was a talentless hippy...

You can't compare him to either MJ or Mercury. They both surpass him in terms of singing ability, entertainment and hits.

I wouldn't consider Lennon in the top 100. Worthless bum.
Original post by KillerKing
Seriously, he was a talentless hippy...

You can't compare him to either MJ or Mercury. They both surpass him in terms of singing ability, entertainment and hits.

I wouldn't consider Lennon in the top 100. Worthless bum.

It's a shame when people don't recognise good music. Objectively (critically and commercially) he was better than either of them. He was part of the biggest songwriting team of all time, he revolutionised music, and his legacy will far outstrip either of the others. Only a handful of people can rival him and sadly these aren't two of them.
Original post by Prokaryotic_crap
Michael Jackson hands down.

His music was original and gave a whole new dimension to the music industry with his "short film" videos. Not to mention having a record for the best selling album of all time.

His met presidents, politicians, and other important people. When he died, the world virtually stopped for a second, all week news everywhere was about Him.

1. The Beatles are the best selling musical act of all time. That beats best-selling album.
2. Are you honestly using MJ's death as a point? John Lennon's murder made a far bigger splash. You can't use that as an argument.
Originally Posted by jrichardson21

It's a shame when people don't recognise good music. Objectively (critically and commercially) he was better than either of them.

By putting the singing ability part of KillerKing's post in bold are you implying that Lennon was a better singer than Mercury? Because to be honest you'd have a tough time finding evidence for that.
Reply 70
It's a shame when people don't recognise good music. Objectively (critically and commercially) he was better than either of them. He was part of the biggest songwriting team of all time, he revolutionised music, and his legacy will far outstrip either of the others. Only a handful of people can rival him and sadly these aren't two of them.

his legacy?

Being a re tarded hippy is a legacy?

Both MJ and FM are better in every way. Lennon is a bum, I'd be interested to know who you think will rival him?

Needless to say you have no taste. Are you white?
Reply 71
Although I always find it hard to draw comparisons in music, because styles are different between artists, and these 3 do earn my respect for different reasons, I say MJ, due to his versatility in genre, the perfection in the execution of his work, and the creative and musical influence he has had on many people as well as myself!
Should we really be judging Lennon and Mercury in this on the merits of their bands. Surely this ignores the contributions of the other members, whether or not Lennon and Mercury were the top *******s

Just saying...
(edited 13 years ago)
Quite a weird group of people to compare. Freddy was one of the greatest frontmen of all time, Lennon one of the best songwriters and MJ the best entertainer. I don't think I could pick one if I'm honest!
It's got to be Freddy Mercury for me.
He's the only one out of the three that's reduced me to tears, not out of sadness, but because his performances just had this power that really evokes an emotion within you. I can't really describe it- like you get chills when you hear him -"who wants to live forever" being best example.
Freddy had such a je ne sais quoi about him but let's ignore some of the songs like I want to ride my bicycle lol
Reply 75
Kurt Cobain....I'm not joking.
Reply 76
1. The Beatles are the best selling musical act of all time. That beats best-selling album.
2. Are you honestly using MJ's death as a point? John Lennon's murder made a far bigger splash. You can't use that as an argument.

No it didn't.

Heres a news report and the maintopic of the day was Poland, not JL death.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfoMQN0MnEI
Impossible to choose between Freddie Mercury or Michael Jackson...

Its so sad to think our generation has the likes of Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus bull-**** that dominates our music charts when the previous generation had Queen, Iron Maiden and Bowie. Whatever happened to good, old rock and roll?
Reply 78
Freddie Mercury, because he's a god.
Reply 79
Interesting question but i'd have to go with Jackson for his ridiculous stage present, showmanship, his ear for identifying great pop songs and his voice wasn't half bad. Would John Lennon be anywhere near as good without McCartney im not sure he would.

Freddie was brilliant tho as were queen

Quick Reply

Latest