The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Accommodation Advice

Hi,
I am an Indonesian who will read for the MSc (Development Studies) at LSE in October. I was browsing the net when I bumped to this message board.

I don't know London well at all (was only there on transit once) and would appreciate your advice regarding accommodation.

London seems very expensive. So to save money, I was hoping to stay at an LSE residence that is a bit further away and ride a bicycle to campus daily. Can someone please tell me whether this is a good idea? Everyone seems to talk about 'walking' to LSE, but nothing mentioned about riding a bike. Is this just not done in London??? Is London and the LSE campus remotely bike-friendly? (i.e. bike locks? path?)

Just in case biking is not an option at all, would living further away add a lot in terms of transport costs? I don't know how it works in London. Is there a student rate? Is the cost for the subway calculated per ride or monthly? Is it calculated by distance? How much does transport cost add up to per month? I mean, I may save 20 pounds a week staying in a residence that's far - but this cost-saving is not worth it if i pay 15 pounds in transport for example.

Also, are residences generally much cheaper than sharing an apartment with other people? Is there a website where I can read advertisements about LSE students who want to share an apartment?

I'm sorry for all the questions. But it is very stressful for me to plan my move to England. Everything seems to expensive.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

OK, I'm an undergrad at LSE so I should be able to answer your questions.

Firstly, cycling in London- you can try it if you want, but it's not something that I'd want to do and I'm a pretty experienced mountain biker (read into that what you will). I do however personally know one person who rides in, also others must as the bike racks on campus (no locks provided- get a decent one like a Kryptonite New Yorker) are usually pretty full. There aren't many proper bike paths in London- you will get bike lanes, but I'm not a huge fan of those (they're always in the gutter, buses and cars cut you up etc).

Last time I checked a monthly zone 1 and 2 tube pass is £60ish including discount (I'm not sure if masters students are eligible for the discount). Taking the bus is £1 each way regardless of distance (therefore £2/day).

LSE halls aren't that much cheaper than shared accommodation, but they're a good way to meet people and are generally in a more central location than other places. For shared accommodation check out http://www.netletlse.co.uk
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Hi, as what russia has mentioned, it's really rather cold here, so you may not get much out of cycling. but there are ways to cut down costs.

shared rooms can be pretty cheap, just 50-55 pounds a week at either Carr Saunders or Rosebery, but how good that eventually will be depends on your roommate

both are 25 mins walking distance away from LSE and obviously in london, walking is a fantastic way of saving money.

if you want a single room, chances are the cheapest option would be the intercollegiate halls (canterbury, commonweath et al) they cost 105 a week inclusive of meals (bfast and dinner). but catch is that they run on a 30 week contract, which means you have to move out during the hols.

Passfield hall used to be the cheapest but last i heard is that they won't be open for the next academic year, but if you want budget, value for money accomodation, passfield is the place. it's catered as well. plus only 20 mins walk.

living further away won't save you all that much unless you're talking about really far away. London is an expensive place per se and it isn't for no reason. Monthly tube concessions are as russia said, 60 pounds, and even with saver tickets for bus, expect to pay 70pence for each one way journey.

thus, cheapest is to walk to school. that's what most people in lse do anyway..

let me know if you have any further queries.
Reply 3
inspire
Hi, as what russia has mentioned, it's really rather cold here, so you may not get much out of cycling. but there are ways to cut down costs.

shared rooms can be pretty cheap, just 50-55 pounds a week at either Carr Saunders or Rosebery, but how good that eventually will be depends on your roommate

both are 25 mins walking distance away from LSE and obviously in london, walking is a fantastic way of saving money.

if you want a single room, chances are the cheapest option would be the intercollegiate halls (canterbury, commonweath et al) they cost 105 a week inclusive of meals (bfast and dinner). but catch is that they run on a 30 week contract, which means you have to move out during the hols.

Passfield hall used to be the cheapest but last i heard is that they won't be open for the next academic year, but if you want budget, value for money accomodation, passfield is the place. it's catered as well. plus only 20 mins walk.

living further away won't save you all that much unless you're talking about really far away. London is an expensive place per se and it isn't for no reason. Monthly tube concessions are as russia said, 60 pounds, and even with saver tickets for bus, expect to pay 70pence for each one way journey.

How, in your opinion, do rosebery and carr saunders compare. Im hopin to go for one of those 2 and cant see a lot between them. Thanks
everyone knows that Rosebery is far superior to carr saunders.......
Reply 5
MuvverRussia
everyone knows that Rosebery is far superior to carr saunders.......

I presume by that that you stay/stayed in rosebury??
What would make you think that? :tongue: I'm at Rosebery BTW for clarification.

Rosebery is quite a bit better than Carr Saunders- we have a bar, 2 computer rooms, 2 TV rooms (one with the full Sky package open 24 hrs a day), a garden, a roof terrace. Also, although our location isn't as central as Carr Saunders it's better. We are only a short bus ride from town (direct bus- numbers 38 or 19) and a 2 min walk from Islington Upper St- this area is full of pubs, clubs and restaurants meaning that it's a good place to go out to.

BTW- they've been saying that they will close Passfield for the last 3 years. It hasn't happened yet and I'm willing to bet it won't happen until the new accommodation is ready (in about 2 years)- quite simply, LSE need the accommodation.

Also, remember that with LSE you basically go into a lottery, so there's no guarantee that you'll get the hall you want- just put down 3 decent choices and see what happens.
Reply 7
MuvverRussia
What would make you think that? :tongue: I'm at Rosebery BTW for clarification.

Rosebery is quite a bit better than Carr Saunders- we have a bar, 2 computer rooms, 2 TV rooms (one with the full Sky package open 24 hrs a day), a garden, a roof terrace. Also, although our location isn't as central as Carr Saunders it's better. We are only a short bus ride from town (direct bus- numbers 38 or 19) and a 2 min walk from Islington Upper St- this area is full of pubs, clubs and restaurants meaning that it's a good place to go out to.

BTW- they've been saying that they will close Passfield for the last 3 years. It hasn't happened yet and I'm willing to bet it won't happen until the new accommodation is ready (in about 2 years)- quite simply, LSE need the accommodation.

Also, remember that with LSE you basically go into a lottery, so there's no guarantee that you'll get the hall you want- just put down 3 decent choices and see what happens.

Right, Ill probly go for Rosebery, Carr saunders, passfield in that order. Worth putting intercollegiate halls down? if so which?
TBH, I've no idea about intercollegiate halls. I did put some down though, the only one I can remember being Canterbury hall. All I can say is avoid College hall and Nutford House.

Rosebery is definately the best out of those 3, whether you get it or not is another matter though, so make sure that you're happy with all of them before applying.
Reply 9

Just as an FYI, all over the LSE website, they said that Passfield WILL definitely be closed from summer 2004 for renovation. Don't know if it will really happen this time - but as far as the prospectus is concerned, they don't even list the rate for accommodation at Passfield for 2004/2005. just that it's "CLOSED". So maybe this time, it could be for real???

Another question, what kind of area is Butler's Wharf? One of the residences is there. Supposedly flat-style. Does this mean that 6 students share 1 apartment type thing???

Also, I know you mentioned that accommodation is quite the lottery. Do overseas/post-grad new to LSE get priority over domestic students? I know that at other universities, this is the policy because it is harder for foreign students to get apartments external to the campus.

Thanks! This forum is really useful!
I doubt it'll be closed- you can apply for it using the Sept 04 accommodation form.

Butler's Wharf is predominantly post grad. Also it's further out than the other halls, so I don't know much about it.

As for priority, I think that first year undergrads get the highest priority and then first year post grads before going to returning undergrads and then returning post grads. I know for sure that all first year undergrads are guaranteed accommodation.
Reply 11
Do you know if there are photos of the rooms inside the various residences? I checked on the LSE Accommodations website and most of the pages aren't even functioning yet. e.g. the compare pages, the photos etc.

Do local students typically visit the residences before selecting? I mean, for international students, this is fairly impossible. So we rely entirely on the descriptions and photos where available. But it seems to be lacking for the LSE Residences. Do they each have their own separate website or something?

Also, does anyone know anything of Goodenough College? I was recommended that from an LSE Alumn but it's not listed as one of the Residences.

Thanks,
There's no real photos of rooms around- you pretty much have to accept them blind. Also, when it comes to visiting not many do- I didn't, as well as this you would only be allowed to visit during LSE vacations- i.e. when the hall is empty.

I did a quick search on google for Goodenough College- it's not affiliated to LSE or UoL in anyway, so I don't know what you're talking about.
Reply 13
busybee
Do you know if there are photos of the rooms inside the various residences? I checked on the LSE Accommodations website and most of the pages aren't even functioning yet. e.g. the compare pages, the photos etc.

Do local students typically visit the residences before selecting? I mean, for international students, this is fairly impossible. So we rely entirely on the descriptions and photos where available. But it seems to be lacking for the LSE Residences. Do they each have their own separate website or something?

Also, does anyone know anything of Goodenough College? I was recommended that from an LSE Alumn but it's not listed as one of the Residences.

Thanks,

I think they may have been pulling your leg, Goodenough Collge-it must be a joke........
Reply 14
claire1985
I think they may have been pulling your leg, Goodenough Collge-it must be a joke........

That's what I thought at first! But it's legit!!! Check out http://www.goodenough.ac.uk/

It has no affiliation with any university it seems. So I guess it's a commercial thing? Make money off all the students studying in London?
Reply 15
busybee
That's what I thought at first! But it's legit!!! Check out http://www.goodenough.ac.uk/

It has no affiliation with any university it seems. So I guess it's a commercial thing? Make money off all the students studying in London?

hmm, it says houses 600 postgrads, no good for undergrads. Anyways, Im sure its better to got to LSE halls to mix with other LSE students.
Reply 16
inspire

Hi,
Just wanted to clarify something. Some halls have 40 weeks contract and others only 30 weeks. i.e. christmas and easter break are not included in the price. My question is, what happens during these holidays? Are students just locked out of the residence? Or are the rooms rented out and therefore students have to pack up their whole entire room and take it with them? Or are there storage at the residence? e.g. what happens when people buy a TV for example. Do they take it home with them on vacation? Because as an international student, that won't work.

Thanks!
For the 30 week halls you can leave a small box (small being the important word) in storage here. Your room must be completely vacated though.

Hardly anyone here has a TV btw.
Reply 18
Anyone know if intercollegiate halls have internet access in the rooms?
Nutford house does, so I'd presume that the others do.

Latest

Trending

Trending