The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ayaan
I dare you to post a sentance with no more than one thre syllable+ word in it.
I dare you.

I'm not one for the taking of unnecessary risks; sorry. :wink:
Profesh
I'm not one for the taking of unnecessary risks; sorry. :wink:

Nice job!

Now work on your archaic phrasing.
Reply 22
ayaan
Nice job!

Now work on your archaic phrasing.

Oh, goodie! Then I can be just like you and everyone else!

I'll pass; thanks.
Profesh
Oh, goodie! Then I can be just like you and everyone else!

I'll pass; thanks.

Aww, I was just kidding.
I quite enjoy archiac language, huzzah, egads et al...
Reply 24
ayaan
Aww, I was just kidding.
I quite enjoy archiac language, huzzah, egads et al...

That's more like it: you're learning, see?
Hmmm... it occurs to me that all a person has to do is express a feeling of being different somehow to gain my everlasting devotion.

That can't be right.
--------------
Profesh
That's more like it: you're learning, see?

Staylor's list of excellent words is full of 'em.
Reply 26
The competitiveness has been compounded by the silly A level system.

There are people with AAA who have literally scraped them. Others have sailed through with UMS scores in the 280's/290's and above.

Of course your intake year will have visible UMS scores (hurrah!) whereas we were left with the guessing game.

Still a long way from the A*A*A* offer requirements.. But still...
Dreama

There are people with AAA who have literally scraped them.

like me :biggrin:

Others have sailed through with UMS scores in the 280's/290's and above.

Like you. :eek:
Not to mention those who failed to get AAA but still got in.

Like me. :biggrin:
That's a good point. Universities will be going purely on UMS marks from the AS level, won't they*? Hmm.

*'cept in the case of post A-level applicants of course.
Reply 30
Law is the most competitive - eg. at KCL there's about 16 applicants per place as opposed to 5 per place for Dentistry, almost every law school requires AAA as opposed to AAB for Dentistry and Medicine, and about 75% of Law applicants are straight-A students. More universities offer Law than offer Med or Dent so that's why it can appear less competitive than Medicine but it is the hardest course to get onto, and the hardest career to really succeed in.
Reply 31
Ah Rass
Law is the most competitive - eg. at KCL there's about 16 applicants per place as opposed to 5 per place for Dentistry, almost every law school requires AAA as opposed to AAB for Dentistry and Medicine, and about 75% of Law applicants are straight-A students. More universities offer Law than offer Med or Dent so that's why it can appear less competitive than Medicine but it is the hardest course to get onto, and the hardest career to really succeed in.

How do you know this? For KCL to get 16 applications per place this would mean they had almost 6000 applications... don't think so!

Also, King's requires AAB (and several Oxbridge and Durham colleges offer AAB); so you can't say 'almost every law school requires AAA'. In reality, it seems from my own experience that most law students at such schools have AAA, but it's not always required.

You can't say that any career is the 'hardest to succeed in' - such a massive generalisation would be inaccurate on any subject; but with a career in law, you could either be a secretary earning £12,000 pa, or a Deloitte in-house darling earning £120,000... it's really misleading when people talk about Law as if the only route graduates can go down is magic circle firms/top chambers.
You can only apply to 4 medicine courses.
You can apply to 6 law courses.
Paul! shouldn't you be on your way over for property by now? Or are you not going until 4 today?

Also, what's your position in the moot?
Poison Ivy
Ofcourse it's competitive, especially when looking for a Training Contract, it's like looking for a needle in haystack sadly.

Absolutely, getting the degree is the easy bit!!! :frown:
But if you want it badly enough....
Reply 35
Lauren18

You can't say that any career is the 'hardest to succeed in' - such a massive generalisation would be inaccurate on any subject; but with a career in law, you could either be a secretary earning £12,000 pa, or a Deloitte in-house darling earning £120,000... it's really misleading when people talk about Law as if the only route graduates can go down is magic circle firms/top chambers.

Deloitte>>>>>>>>>>> I'm working there :biggrin: :biggrin: Gap year scheme.......
Onearmedbandit
Paul! shouldn't you be on your way over for property by now? Or are you not going until 4 today?

Also, what's your position in the moot?

Im ill and Im senior appellant.
I will come in fo rthe moot tomorrow though.
Good luck! I haven't even LOOKED at the moot yet :'( I might do it though and put off the WLO essay until the weekend. Mine's on Thursday I'm J.R.

Our new public law lecturer is nice :smile:
:smile:
Is he as eccentric as his name?

I have yet to read the 24 page case our moot is based on.
Oh dear.
I have til 6 tomorrow evening.
:eek:
Oh crap. And I just remembered I need to organise a clerk!
Reply 39
Akhoza
I was just wondering if law is even that competative since at my school we got quite a few people who are going to do law at uni and to say the least they are not the brightest bunch. I know people who have opted for subjects such as AVCE business and sociology who are applying for law, are there law schools who will actually take people on with weak subjects since i thought law required English???

Are you joking??? :eek: Law is the second most competitive subject outside of art and design, which covers a broad range of courses. You have to really want it, if you want to go somewhere good. Having said this there are some more suspect Law courses out there at naff unis, but big firms etc are not as likely to want to employ you. With Law it DOES matter where your degree is from.
Personally, i have not made life easy, applying to Cambridge, Bristol, Nottingham, Warwick, Kent and LSE! Bit off topic but wondering if anyone has heard from any of these unis yet???? :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending