The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 1
hi =) i also got an offer from Nottingham and Imperial (i love both)! I'm also international, so maybe this won't really help..

Instead of comparing imperial with nottingham, I tried comparing it to similar schools in US (reputationwise). Compared to, say, MIT or Caltech or Harvard, Imperial is not more expensive. MIT can cost you ~$30,000 (tuition only) a year; while Imperial is around 10500 pounds = ~$20,000. So, for me, it seems that Imperial is worth it.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Hey, I faced exactly the same problem as you when making my university choices. I applied for Law, and as you know, many of the top universities for Law are those based in London e.g. LSE, UCL... virtually all of them.

Where are you from may I ask? I'm from Brunei which has an exchange rate of $3.2 to 1 pound. Thus, the 2000 pounds difference in fees make a difference. Plus, as you may also have heard, living expenses in London are considerably higher than elsewhere - think tales of London as the most expensive city in the world!

Hence, to save myself from the painful decision you are going through right now, I decided not to apply to anywhere in London and chose instead to focus on good unis elsewhere.

I would say, if you really want to go to Imperial above all else, if you will be comfortable making it your home for 3 years, if you enjoy the lifestyle that London has to offer and if you can spare that extra few ks of cash every year, then yes, Imperial is worth every cent. If you're like me who prefers the large campus life, and would be happier in somewhere like Durham.... then make somewhere else your choice.

I also applied to Nottingham, and it will either be my insurance or firm choice.

Take care! These are just my opinions, though some may disagree.
xoxo
Reply 3
kosine90
hi =) i also got an offer from Nottingham and Imperial (i love both)! I'm also international, so maybe this won't really help..

Instead of comparing imperial with nottingham, I tried comparing it to similar schools in US (reputationwise). Compared to, say, MIT or Caltech or Harvard, Imperial is not more expensive. MIT can cost you ~$30,000 (tuition only) a year; while Imperial is around 10500 pounds = ~$20,000. So, for me, it seems that Imperial is worth it.

it is a lot easier to get into imperial than US universities as well for ppl doing a levels...
Reply 4
matouwah
it is a lot easier to get into imperial than US universities as well for ppl doing a levels...

yeah.. i agree about that :biggrin:
kosine90

It depends on where you're from whether Imperial's profile is as high as MIT's. In Asia, perhaps, but in the US certainly not.
Reply 6
Dogtanian
It depends on where you're from whether Imperial's profile is as high as MIT's. In Asia, perhaps, but in the US certainly not.

Easy to get in to US Unis ???

I am from Far East and ppl will think Imperial as some sort of ice cream factory cos there is a famous Imperial Ice cream over there. haha

Anyway MIT, Harvard, Yale will be regarded very prestigious even over in my country. I would very much prefer massive campus like the ones in US unis

Thing is I havent done any SATs. Is it hard ????Can someone tell me all the procedures ??

How about TRANSFER to US uni after my 1st year???
Reply 7
illumintai

I am from Far East and ppl will think Imperial as some sort of ice cream factory cos there is a famous Imperial Ice cream over there. haha

Anyway MIT, Harvard, Yale will be regarded very prestigious even over in my country. I would very much prefer massive campus like the ones in US unis

Thing is I havent done any SATs. Is it hard ????Can someone tell me all the procedures ??

go to collegeboard.com......sat is like apptitude test...u cant fail....either get high or low....
illumintai

Sorry, I didn't mean that MIT isn't well regarded in Asia. I meant that Imperial is better known (perhaps) in Asia than it is in the US.

There's pretty much no way to transfer as far as I know without restarting.

Latest

Trending

Trending