The Student Room Group

Why do girls generally HIGHLY sensitive when it comes to weight?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MilkyC
If you can't lose weight because of what someone thinks of you then that is very very very sad. That seems like such a pathetic excuse. Misery? Fear? Because someone is looking at you run? Get a grip of yourself and get some self-confidence because using that as an excuse not to go for a jog is ridiculous.

It's clearly not just that though, there's a lot of things involved and if you've never been in that situation then you wouldn't know. It's not just whether you're actually overweight either, you have to remember that there is a certain image that you're meant to adhere to, which is why you often still hear slim girls complaining about their weight- although they will look slim, they might have be pear shaped and not like the size of their hips in proportion to their upper half and so on. When I was younger I used to always try and lose weight because although I was a size 6 I still had quite big boobs and hated them. It's just as much of a self-image thing as anything else.
Original post by georgiablue
I try not to base my looks on those on magazines etc because to be fair, most of them are all skinny gorgeous girls and not everyone is like that. But, the media is to be blamed for everyone wanting to look like them because you never get to see a chunky lass or a 'not-so-pretty' girl do you? All we see are the flawless models and lets face it, life just isn't that kind to everyone.

No...but it's kind of common sense that not everyone is going to look the same.

..and the media are obviously going to stick by what makes them more money obviously. In reality wheteher you choose to believe it or not majority of people will probably like to view those ' skinny gorgeous girls' instead of the 'not so pretty' ones. I doubt many people will pick up a magazine with a cover of a 'not so glamorous' looking person in front. The media's only showing what the majority of people want to see and will pay for...which this provides them with more profit to carry on doing so.

Whether people base their looks on those magazines or not..the same people will probably buy them over other magazines.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending