The Student Room Group

Outdated

Outdated
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
:awesome: They probably won't allow that, and btw Woodhouse is vastly overated.
There is certainly a practical element to Physics.

If you can handle it, then sure, why not. The practical isn't something to be that worried about, but personally, i'd sit it next year.

Finish your GCSEs, see how you do, give yourself time, experience and being taught the knowledge certainly helps - as good and as important as self-teaching/working at home is.

As for the interviewer situation, what if you wish to apply to a really top university and you get a respectable but not the top grade like a B this year, when next year you could have got a comfortable, in excess of 90% A, which would look more impressive.

Remember, resits have to be submitted to certain universities like Cambridge and if you were to get 9A*s and straight A's at A-level in those subjects, you'd have just as good a chance as anybody, with slightly hindered chance, if you were to get say a B, despite sitting it early.

It's a risk, I was going to take my Maths A-level early and I may well have scraped an A, or possibly just missed out and got a B, but I decided to wait until Year 12 and 13 and with more time, experience, and practice, not rushing anything and timing all my preparation to perfection - I managed to get an A* :smile:
Reply 3
I doubt they will let you sit the AS physics exam if you don't have your GCSE's yet, I presume you took Maths early and that's why you're now doing AS? (My school did something similar, except I was terrible at Maths) :P Also, depending on the exam board, there is usually a coursework or ISA unit. I believe there is coursework for Edexcel and ISA for AQA.
Reply 4
Original post by bull3tkid-ark
yh true, reading all the comments i think i'll definately do it next year and only concentrate on my gcse's and as level math this year.
I did math gcse in yr 10 and got an a* so im doing as this year, kinda like what your school did :]

oops should've edited, soz for double post -.-

I was lucky enough to be in the "stupider class" :tongue: So I did GCSE Stats in Yr 10 and then Maths in Yr 11. Meanwhile a lot my friends who did AS Maths in Yr 11 were awfully stressed out and many that carried it on in Sixth Form ended up retaking the AS. :s-smilie: 9 GCSEs and an AS is loads of work already, you'll have plenty of time for Physics at college :tongue: Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 5
infact, it's 14.5 gcse's in total and an a level
the 9 gcse's i talked about were the ones predicted at a* :]
i think the a level math is alright tho, my friend started it in year 9 and is now doing further math! he got 90%+ across the as and some a2 modules and he said it was easy lol

Ah god I hate people like that :tongue: Kudos on all the grades :smile: Wow, almost straight A*s! Nice one :P Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 6

I heard Woodhouse is a really good college for a levels, why is it overated in your opinion? o.O

It is but you have to make your own work with a lot of teachers. And once you're in you start wondering why it was so hard to get in :tongue:
Reply 7
I'm currently in year 11 but I picked:
physics
further maths (doing as level math this year)
art
chemistry

And I hope I get into woodhouse, predicted like 9a*'s and a few a's so hopefully I will get in.

Back on topic. I bought this Physics AS level cgp book a week ago and i'm quarter of the way through it and i'm understanding it pretty well. Do you think I will be able to ask my teacher to sit the exam in June or is there coursework aswell?
Also, will this actually make life easier in college since physics is kinda hard and i'll have a big head start (knowing everything already)...

I'm mainly doing this so I won't have to revise alot in college and also I can impress at the interview :tongue:

please comment on your opinion and also if anyone else done this before how did it go?

ty ty :]

The problem with the CGP revision books is that they are great, if you're happy with a C, but if you want a better grade then you will need more knowledge and a deeper understanding of the course. Best to stick to taking it at the normal time :smile:

good luck
I got an a* in math and science by using cgp books and a few past papers...

it's the lonsdale ones i'm starting to doubt, read through a whole book, did plenty of practise and ended up with an A in the november exam (retaking in june). I guess it's different for everyone which revision books to buy.

CGP are the best, that's how I got an A* in GCSE Maths and GCSE Statistics :biggrin:
Reply 9
I got an a* in math and science by using cgp books and a few past papers...

it's the lonsdale ones i'm starting to doubt, read through a whole book, did plenty of practise and ended up with an A in the november exam (retaking in june). I guess it's different for everyone which revision books to buy.

But that was GCSEs wasn't it? Trust me, for our January sitting A level last year nearly everyone relied on those revision books and even the brightest of us (who eventually got an As/A* overall) were getting low Bs/ high Cs. I'm not sure about the GCSE books as I didn't use them but at A level they miss out the top level stuff that's going to get you the better marks. By reading the As ones now you are doing yourself a lot of help for next year, but I would rather wait a year and get a good mark, then sit the exam a year early and get an average one.

Past papers are a really good way to revise - I would not have done nearly as well in my A levels if it wasn't for them :smile:
Reply 10
I think those books are targetted for C grade students. Thats what my teacher said anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest