The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Bad internet?

So, quick question, how's the internet at warwick in first year accommodation? Speaking to a couple of guys there it sounds terrible, one off experience?
Got Warwick down as the firm, and am wondering about this.

If it genuinely is terrible, any idea if they're planning to improve it?
I ask as I do a fair bit of gaming/skyping/etc with friends from all over the place, when I'm not busy with other stuff, and want a heads up (and maybe find a solution :P) if that's going to be killed off.

Also, before you say "oh you'll be too busy with everything else to worry about that" - I'm already pretty damn busy and still find the time :smile:

Thanks in advance guys

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Skype FB etc should be fine.

It's just that Youtube and iPlayer take longer to load than normal

It's fast 2am-->2pm
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
its fine for everything during the day, including online gaming and the like. From about 4pm until 12 pm it is absolutely awful but just get stuff done/download during the day or overnight.
Reply 3
Yeah it is pretty awful, and to be fair is the main thing I dislike about Warwick! iPlayer is a no-go in evenings unless its past about 1-2am. Think they are looking to improve it, but not sure how feasible that would be given the cost of upgrading the network.

I am aware that some residents in Arthur Vick and Jack Martin have been experiencing problems with the internet connection within halls.

IT services are aware that there are serious connection speed issues within the residential network, this has been poor for some months but in recent days has seen significant deterioration.

The issues with connection speeds are mostly due to a lack of capacity. IT Services plan to increase this capacity tomorrow, 25th January. This should see significant improvement however, there are some further steps they need to take which means full improvement won’t be seen until the end of February.

They are exploring other options with their external vendors, however some of these have caused more problems hence why some people’s connections last week were particularly bad.

I would just like to ensure you that IT Services are very aware of the frustration and inconvenience that is being caused due to problems with connection speeds and that they are currently working to find a solution.

Best wishes
Jo
Reply 4
So, a no go evening time, fine otherwise. Bit awkward, hopefully things'll be sorted within the year :wink:

Also, anyone know if there is any difference in the speeds between accommodation blocks due to less people being in them, etc?

Cheers
Reply 5
Blah this is bad news :frown:
I always pictured British top unis to have steady 100 Mbit connections :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Vindobona

many do!!
Reply 7
Here's to hoping this is fixed for 2011 entry. I am so reliant on internet :P
Original post by Vindobona

You can get those sorts of speeds on the public computers :p:

Just that halls is just awful :colonhash: Although speeds between computers on the network are 100Mbits :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by Krydel
Here's to hoping this is fixed for 2011 entry. I am so reliant on internet :P

Yup, with you on that one
Reply 10
Not allowed wireless or to have ethernet port plugged into more than one device so i read... it gets worse.

I have a laptop, desktop and ps3 - and they expect me to unplug it and shift it around permamently? :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Original post by Krydel
Not allowed wireless or to have ethernet port plugged into more than one device so i read... it gets worse.

I have a laptop, desktop and ps3 - and they expect me to unplug it and shift it around permamently? :rolleyes:

What on earth, sounds likes some kind of early 2000s policy, whatever happened to routers? Though I suppose you could argue the ethernet port is only plugged into one device if you put it through a router, that port is only connected to the router after all? ;P
Reply 12
Original post by CloudUK
What on earth, sounds likes some kind of early 2000s policy, whatever happened to routers? Though I suppose you could argue the ethernet port is only plugged into one device if you put it through a router, that port is only connected to the router after all? ;P

How fast is ResNet Internet?
- Your download speed will peak at about 200 KB/s. The speed is quite stable and consistent, though it does slow down a bit during peak times.

Fast enough to play online games?
- Online games that need low latency won't be worth playing during the day or evening (i.e. before 2AM). Otherwise they run fine.

What is the situation with torrents?
- Peer-to-peer (P2P) programs are explicitly disallowed by Warwick and it's very likely they will detect any usage of such programs. See the ResNet terms of use for more details. You might want to keep your eye out for certain leaflets that may be circulating in the first few weeks.

Is there a download limit?
- There is (1.3GB per week), but it is not enforced. You are only likely to be spoken to if you're regularly exceeding perhaps 5GB per day. There is no fine for exceeding the limit, but there are fines for other issues.

Are there any other ResNet regulations?
- Only one device is allowed to be connected to ResNet at any one time. Wifi hubs, routers, and switches are not allowed.

from http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1194400

The download limit is not enforced, I've exceeded that limit (80GB/week) in the last term.

Oh and the recent pages in the Warwick Maths Freshers thread may be I'd use, especially with regards to internet speeds.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by TheTallOne
The download limit is not enforced, I've exceeded that limit (80GB/week) in the last term.

Oh and the recent pages in the Warwick Maths Freshers thread may be I'd use, especially with regards to internet speeds.

That is good news, thank you very much for pointing me in that direct. I hope it's a consistent improvement :biggrin:

Download limit not enforced plus faster internet = can live with lack of multiple device internet :biggrin:
Reply 15
That's a great improvement, gonna ask one of the lads I know to do some testing for me next time he's not busy, I'll repost here once we get some results
Reply 16
I was getting 14Mbps today...hopefully its not temporary and got my hopes up for no reason :colonhash:
Reply 17
So, with this news, some testing was done

Download speeds themselves were relatively poor between 9-10 PM, 50kB/s download and a very variable 10-20 kB/s upload, which isn't all that bad for upload to be fair.
Tested that by grabbing a large video from http and by uploading a large file via dropbox.
Testing out TF2, since it doesn't require a fast connection particularly but more a reliable/well routed one, and the game was perfectly playable so I hear.
Testing out Skype, call quality was slightly below average but nothing massively noticeable, otherwise was fine.
Youtube etc was horribly slow, as you'd expect, due to the download speed being crap.
Web browsing, as you'd expect, fairly decent, although took a while to load images on content heavy pages, again due to the slow speed.

During peak times, this is certainly an improvement over what I've been told about in the past by the same people, and they certainly seem happy, hopefully things'll improve more for those of us there next year! :smile:
Reply 18
Wow, super fast at the moment! Hope it stays!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
They should use WiMax :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending