The Student Room Group

I'm Worried

Hi guys,

I need your advice / help / reassurance.

I have applied to read english lit in 2006 and have had two offers. Predicted an A at A2, but, I am really worried about not being good enough to be able to do english lit at uni. Especially the analysis. This is my weakest link. Are you left to do analysis all on your own, or do lectures help...?

Basically, will I be able to do it?
Reply 1
I don't know about your courses, but mine at nottingham isn't overly analytical. We focus mch more on the context of the writin rather than feature picking and analysing these features and devices. If you're predicted an A at A2 you will be more than able to cope with the degree if you go to lectures and keep up with your reading. xx
Reply 2
not only do you have lectures, but you'll have tutorials i imagine. also, tutors are fine with you emailing them or talking to them as much as you want (about the subject i presume, rather than the weather or something). although there is a great amount of independent work, you get to carry it out having had a good and intimate level of teaching to help you.
Reply 3
Thanks, that's reassuring to hear. Really appreciate it!

Ches
There is lots of help at hand, you will be given guides and you can talk to othet students. Its not that bad...although it is a lot harder than A level. If you are predicted an A though, you will be more than capable.
At a lot of places (as far as I know) the first year doesn't count towards your degree anyway, so you have plenty of opportunity to make your mistakes and get them sorted before you need to start panicking.

If it was so hard that people getting A's couldn't do it, then the universities would be empty. Don't worry!
silence
intimate level of teaching

Sounds like fun!
Reply 7
Definitely...
Reply 8
englishstudent
Sounds like fun!

it can be fun, but you've got to be prepared as it's quite often hard..
Reply 9
Oh my.
supercat
Oh my.

:biggrin: :eek:
silence
it can be fun, but you've got to be prepared as it's quite often hard..

Must suck.
If you're not up to standard at first many supervisors will give you enough attention to bring you up to the level of other students. Often you can help yourself by being in the right frame of mind - even if your work doesn't get any longer, the quality will certainly improve. Certainly an important aspect of intimate teaching is being able to make your supervisor respond on any point you like, even ones that seem slightly too accessible or beyond your reach. They'll be more than happy if you hit on something new through daring. Just make sure you don't come across as overenthusiastic: nobody likes someone gushing in the middle of a productive meeting.

Is that enough?
can't wait for uni now
It's the prospect of intimate teaching, isn't it? :wink:
Reply 15
on a serious note about this intimate teaching thing, i've sent (and received) quite a few emails to/from tutors to ask about certain things on the course, ranging from questions about what to read on a certain topic to pretty detailed issues. and it's very helpful being able to have such communication bearing in mind that there must be at least 500 english students or so at the uni.

Latest