The Student Room Group

Best male artists of the 90s and noughties?

Hey everyone, I need a playlist consisting of the best male artists/singers from the past twenty years and I'm having a hard time making my mind up. :confused:

My requirements are:
1) All male artists - fairly popular/recongisable-(singers and DJs like David Guetta or Calvin Harris will do)
2) At least 2 artists from the 90s
3) No bands please
4) 6-7 artists
5) At least 1 artist needs to be brand new (someone obscure that hardly any people have heard of but has the potential to be big soon)
6) Need to cover a range of genres
7) Only those artists from the 90s to now.

Initially I was going along the lines of Eminem, Bruno Mars, Tinie Tempah and things but it became mainly hip-hop/RnB. :s-smilie: I also don't want to overdo TV singing show winners like Will Young, Shayne Ward and stuff.

Please help me pick who you think are the best! All ideas are welcome even if they aren't exactly suited to my requirements.
:music: Seal, Justin Timberlake, Robin Thicke, R Kelly, Michael Jackson, Akon, Snoop Dogg, Ludacris, Sean Paul, Busta Rhymes, Lemar, Pharrell Williams, Timbaland, Kanye West, 50 Cent, Big Boi, Andre 3000. :biggrin:
Vanilla Ice :biggrin:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
:music: Seal, Justin Timberlake, Robin Thicke, R Kelly, Michael Jackson, Akon, Snoop Dogg, Ludacris, Sean Paul, Busta Rhymes, Lemar, Pharrell Williams, Timbaland, Kanye West, 50 Cent, Big Boi, Andre 3000. :biggrin:

A lot of that is hip hop and RnB though. Also, the audience is going to be mostly 30-90 year olds so I can't really play 50 Cent :s-smilie: But some of those have given me some ideas... Thanks! :smile:
Um, Robbie Williams?
Hm. (In no particular order)

1) Adam Lambert
2) Rob Thomas
3) Gavin DeGraw
4) Tinie Tempah
5) B.o.B
6) Taio Cruz

There's a good mix there. Trouble is most of the really good acts to come out of the 90's-00's were bands :confused:
Original post by nikita_atikin
A lot of that is hip hop and RnB though. Also, the audience is going to be mostly 30-90 year olds so I can't really play 50 Cent :s-smilie: But some of those have given me some ideas... Thanks! :smile:

Well, you said male artists, and they're the ones I mainly like so :dontknow:.

OK, for a new and different artist, I'd suggest Daley; he's a neo soul singer tipped to be big by the BBC :smile:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom

OK, for a new and different artist, I'd suggest Daley; he's a neo soul singer tipped to be big by the BBC :smile:

Will check him out, thanks :smile: Btw, I had to do a similar thing for female artists and Lady Gaga took my first spot. :love:

Original post by tieyourmotherdown
Hm. (In no particular order)

1) Adam Lambert
2) Rob Thomas
3) Gavin DeGraw
4) Tinie Tempah
5) B.o.B
6) Taio Cruz

There's a good mix there. Trouble is most of the really good acts to come out of the 90's-00's were bands :confused:

Yeah I know bands are like the best thing out of the 90s and 00s but I'm saving that for another day :wink:
Elliott Smith!

James Blake, J. Cole and Jay Electromica. The future. SNM
Reply 10
Justin Bieber.
Reply 11
Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi
James Blake

James Blake FTW! Was visiting the thread just to post his name :biggrin:
Original post by mau5
Justin Bieber.

I said males. Not pre-pubescent goats. :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by nikita_atikin
I said males. Not pre-pubescent goats. :tongue:

The colloboration with Jaden Smith on 'Never say never' is one of the best I've heard.

Probably not what you're looking for but he is good, male and a bit different to everything else posted.
Reply 15
Jeff Buckley
Reply 16
Morrissey?

And not forgeting Ian Brown
Eagle-Eye Cherry

Quick Reply

Latest