The Student Room Group

Food and Drink you can still get, but used to be SO much better.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Jammie Dodgers!! They just taste so bland nowadays 'cause they took all the flavourings (ie the good stuff) out. Fortunately cheaply made ones, like those from Lidl, still taste sweet.
hmmmm pot noodle especially the chicken and mushroom, i remember it used to be more salty? not as bland as it is now.

Reply 42
Fanta: Inexplicably they've removed all the taste, but it's still not suitable for vegetarians (fish oil). What...the...frig. (I'm no vegetarian of course, but still).

Oh, and... Bernard Matthews Golden Drummers.

REALLY shadows of their former selves... they were AWESOME before. Apparently in order to meat (get it, meat? Sigh) regulations they had to also go "all-white meat", change the amazing darker, crunchier crumb coating to a lighter one, and make the drummers themselves smaller (to meet the nutritional threshold "per portion"). Now, they don't even friggin' LOOK like drumsticks. They're like... Golden Blobs.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 43
Milkybars
Double Deckers
Pot Noodles
Smarties
Twix
Findus Crispy Pancakes
Milky Way
Pringles (still good but the texture changed about a year ago, making them more light and airy feeling :frown: I preferred them thicker, crunchier and so they turned to mush in your mouth. Now they just dissolve. Am I the only one who noticed?)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
what have they done to the Twix? The caramel isn't sweet enough, the chocolates not chocolatey enough and the biscuits just cardboard.. epic fail!
Reply 45
Tesco's own brand Salt and Vinegar Crips, they used to be so flavoured...now they don't taste as Salt and Vinegarry :P
Anything that used to have 'artificial colours and preservatives' in them, but have now been removed..

I know its for our own good and all, but i hate it when they claim 'it's the same great taste' - it's clearly not :hmmm:
Reply 47

'Nuff Said.
Reply 48
Linzi, Maveryk, I totally agree with Twix. Wasn't the biscuit like, shortbready before? Kinda buttery-crumbly? The one I had recently was so... plain.

As for Milky Ways, I'm not so fussed as the old ones are effectively what "Flytes" are now, but GOD it irritates me when they change something so dramatically just for the hell of it, then say "same great taste".

Something that actually tastes NOTHING like it used it is Lilt:

it's actually like an entirely different product.
I wonder if things just tasted so good when we were younger because they were treats and maybe we had them less often than we can now! Although i definitely agree on some of these.
Reply 50
Original post by TotoMimo
Something that actually tastes NOTHING like it used it is Lilt:

it's actually like an entirely different product.

This this this.

They've put aspartame in it now, so basically it's a diet version of what it used to be.

Robinson's used to be better when it came in cartons and didn't have aspartame in it too.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 51
Some things get tinted with the ol' rosy nostalgia goggles, sure, but some things are blatantly obvious. The health-mad UK has, over the space of ten years, drained all flavour from our favourite grub and drink; despite the fact that when we choose a 'treat' food, we WANT to be decadent and 'bad', and get the extra taste!

Another one for the "used to taste a million times better" is Orangina. Original Orangina with the pulpy bits, in the little glass "genie" bottles (god knows why I called them that). Nowadays it's gone the way of Fanta really, tasteless, generic orange. None of that inadvertent-wink inducing citrus kick/tang...

Reply 52
Some things get tinted with the ol' rosy nostalgia goggles, sure, but some things are blatantly obvious. The health-mad UK has, over the space of ten years, drained all flavour from our favourite grub and drink; despite the fact that when we choose a 'treat' food, we WANT to be decadent and 'bad', and get the extra taste!

Another one for the "used to taste a million times better" is Orangina. Original Orangina with the pulpy bits, in the little glass "genie" bottles (god knows why I called them that). Nowadays it's gone the way of Fanta really, tasteless, generic orange. None of that inadvertent-wink inducing citrus kick/tang...

You still get those in France, and also this local coffee shop I know of.
M&S used to have this lemon cheesecake which tasted so nice :drool: But then I used an "Improved recipe" and it tastes like crap :frown:
Reply 54
Original post by missygeorgia
Um bongo

That has definitely changed! I had one recently and it was HORRIBLE but I remember loving them when I was a kid!
Reply 55

and why did orangina rouge never make it to the UK.. that was such a good drink
Reply 56
Original post by meilan990
hmmmm pot noodle especially the chicken and mushroom, i remember it used to be more salty? not as bland as it is now.

YES! As a kid I loved chicken and mushroom pot noodle but now it's flavourless and barely tastes of anything. Just thinking about it makes me feel queasy.

I also agree with what others are saying about Monster Munch. I loved when they were huge and full of flavour. Also does anyone else remember the "beef burger" flavour that were sold in the late 90s? They were a different flavour to the roast beef ones. I loved them!

Also Opal Fruits (yes I refuse to call them Starburst out of principle). They used to be amazing back in the days when they were bigger and had strawberry, lemon, orange and lime in the packet. None of this lemon and lime together rubbish!
Creme eggs, purely because now they're so small :fuhrer:
Is it just me, or have Sour Cream and Onion flavour Pringles become so much less addictive? Perhaps they removed the cocaine?
Reply 59
Original post by JenKat
YES! As a kid I loved chicken and mushroom pot noodle but now it's flavourless and barely tastes of anything. Just thinking about it makes me feel queasy.

I also agree with what others are saying about Monster Munch. I loved when they were huge and full of flavour. Also does anyone else remember the "beef burger" flavour that were sold in the late 90s? They were a different flavour to the roast beef ones. I loved them!

Also Opal Fruits (yes I refuse to call them Starburst out of principle). They used to be amazing back in the days when they were bigger and had strawberry, lemon, orange and lime in the packet. None of this lemon and lime together rubbish!

Burger Monster Munch were amazing - so were Spaghetti Sauce flavour!

Also, I think I was one of the like, four people in the world that liked the vanilla ice cream flavour:

(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest