The Student Room Group

Food and Drink you can still get, but used to be SO much better.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Haha, I just posted Ribena Light in the "discontinued food" thread! I've always felt Ribena to taste too much like a thick syrup than a drink really, and I miss the light stuff. Now all you can get is "really light", which is pretty much purple water.
i agree with ribena, smarties and the size of creme eggs.

i can't believe no one's said refreshers. they were my favourite thing, now they've tried to make them taste like real fruit instead of sherbert and they're horrible :frown:

Reply 102
Walkers Beef and Onion Crisps.

They changed the recipe, made 'em healthier drained them of all their pure sinful "Oh my god, I'm eating an oxo cube, there's so much flavour" awesomeness, then re-released them as:

Steak and Onion Flavour. Yeah, you thought I didn't notice, Walkers. You thought wrong.
Reply 103
Original post by TotoMimo
Walkers Beef and Onion Crisps.

They changed the recipe, made 'em healthier drained them of all their pure sinful "Oh my god, I'm eating an oxo cube, there's so much flavour" awesomeness, then re-released them as:

Steak and Onion Flavour. Yeah, you thought I didn't notice, Walkers. You thought wrong.

And Walker's Barbecue!

BBQ Rib is not the same.... Sneaky sneaky Walker's!
Reply 104
Pretty much all crisps - All 'baked' these days rather than what I presume used to be deep fried... :frown:
Creme eggs!! I hate the disappointment I feel every year when I'm sure they come out slightly smaller than the year before. I remember when I was younger and my mum used to moan about the size of creme eggs, and how when she was younger she was only allowed half a day because they were so much bigger!

I'm not sure how exaggerated this story is, or whether my grandparents were just really stingy...

Also, pretty much all cereal tastes like cardboard now :frown:
Reply 106
Sunny D and Breakaway Bars.

It hurts more because I was always banned from having Sunny D in my house and used to drink it on the sly. Now, when I have the money to go out and waste on Sunny D, it tastes like a shadow of its former self.
Reply 107
Original post by Accalia
Sunny D and Breakaway Bars.

It hurts more because I was always banned from having Sunny D in my house and used to drink it on the sly. Now, when I have the money to go out and waste on Sunny D, it tastes like a shadow of its former self.

Remember when Breakaways had the big picture of wheat stamped into the chocolate, and you could rub the foil and get a rubbing of the wheat, and it was the coolest thing ever? And when you took a big chomp and the biscuit genuinely was satisfyingly grainy, almost hob-nobby in texture? Now it's just chocolate with weird bumps, no foil, tiny thin, sandy biscuit. Same "sandy" biscuit other "shortcake-based" biscuits and chocolate bars have now that used to be awesome - two I spoke about recently are Cadbury Animals and Twixes.
Original post by bellacute
Agree with Smarties, i used to love those as a kid especially the poppy plastic top that my brother and cousins flicked at me to annoy me!! i cannot bring myself to eat them now, they have no flavour!! I remember each colour tasting slightly different, now they're all the same and the chocolate inside has no flavour either.

Also fruity polos no longer exist! :frown:

I think that walkers crisps have gone down drastically too, the cheese and onion used to be heavenly but now leave a horrible after taste in my mouth :'(

They still do it near me. I see them quite often in corner shops.
Reply 109
Refreshes - the 'natural colours' I suspect (cellulose/paprika etc.) they taste crappy and weard - at least fizzers still taste good but you can only get them in packs.

Smarties taste crap now

Anything with chocolate mostly - biscuits now have a really thick layer of sh***y chocolate

walkers salt & vinegar (still taste good, but less good)

Basically anything bad for us :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 110
McVities Milk chocolate digestive biscuits - the ideal compliment with a cup of tea, unfortunately I'm pretty sure they altered the ingreidients, perhaps the price of cocoa saw to that.

The rare times I eat kids cereal like coco pops it's nothing like as tasty as it used to be, if you recall a few years ago there as a public outcry at the levels of salt in food, for some reason cereal was the benchmark, and so they cut back salt, result is healthier but not as tasty.

Does anyone remember when Mars milk chocolate drink was packaged in a carton? :sogood:
Golden Grahams. They probably taste the same, but they've gone from about £1.50 a box at Tesco to about £7 to get them from Amazon. It breaks my heart knowing I'd have to pay that much for their crunchy deliciousness =P
Reply 112
Original post by Fusion
McVities Milk chocolate digestive biscuits - the ideal compliment with a cup of tea, unfortunately I'm pretty sure they altered the ingreidients, perhaps the price of cocoa saw to that.

The rare times I eat kids cereal like coco pops it's nothing like as tasty as it used to be, if you recall a few years ago there as a public outcry at the levels of salt in food, for some reason cereal was the benchmark, and so they cut back salt, result is healthier but not as tasty.

Does anyone remember when Mars milk chocolate drink was packaged in a carton? :sogood:

Oh yeah!! Mars Drink in cartons!! Milky way one too, those were the shiznit!! Back when they were really thick and you had to struggle to sook it up through the bendy straw... the Mars drink from the bottle is like WATER in comparison. Yet another casualty of HEALTH NATION.

And Gofre, my Tesco still stocks Golden Grahams...
Original post by Fusion

My local Morrisons does Mars chocolate drinks in cartons - big ones though, not little.
Original post by mrdoovde1

Anyone remember these?

Oh yea and kinder suprise eggs :coma:

Loved Zappers, can still get them, used to save up like 35p to buy them after school. Kinder surprise were so amazing when you could make the toys, with all the parts, now health and safety wrecked that. + rep
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by bellacute
Agree with Smarties, i used to love those as a kid especially the poppy plastic top that my brother and cousins flicked at me to annoy me!! i cannot bring myself to eat them now, they have no flavour!! I remember each colour tasting slightly different, now they're all the same and the chocolate inside has no flavour either.

Also fruity polos no longer exist! :frown:

I think that walkers crisps have gone down drastically too, the cheese and onion used to be heavenly but now leave a horrible after taste in my mouth :'(

Really liked those, so unhappy that they don't exist, explains why I haven't seen them in the shops. :frown: +rep
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by coffee&cigarettes
i agree with ribena, smarties and the size of creme eggs.

i can't believe no one's said refreshers. they were my favourite thing, now they've tried to make them taste like real fruit instead of sherbert and they're horrible :frown:

Omg I'd completely forgotten about refreshers... they were amazing.

I'm so hungry now.
Reply 117
Original post by Happy Insomniac

Original post by Happy Insomniac
MacDonalds chicken nuggets. They were awesome when they were salty and full of fat. Now they taste of cardboard.

I was waiting for someone to say this.

I love you.
Reply 118
Wheetos, except I don't buy them anymore.
I used to love Wheat Crunchies, you know them bacon tube crisp things. They taste foul nowadays :'(

Quick Reply

Latest