The Student Room Group

Is it normal to pass out but still be mentally aware?

Last night me and my friend were dancing in a club and accidentally headbutted pretty hard. I collapsed on to the floor and was 'out' for about thirty seconds. The thing is, I was aware of what was going on the whole time, I just couldn't respond.

I've had the same thing happen before (when sober) but any time you read about someone having passed out it always describes everything going black and being totally unaware of your surroundings. Does anyone else pass out and find themselves aware of what's going on?
Lay off the booze!:awesome:

I've never passed out so I can't really help. Has this ever happened before?
So you were conscious but couldn't move? Like temporary paralysis? Or just too woozy to get up?
When I fainted when I was younger I could still think and see the lights, just couldn't move.
Reply 4
Original post by Tyrannosaurus Cal
So you were conscious but couldn't move? Like temporary paralysis? Or just too woozy to get up?

Like just suddenly going totally floppy. I wasn't woozy as when I came round I could talk clearly and walk properly.

Last time I had this being aware but unconcious thing, I was elbowed in the head and I came round with a really bad concussion that put me in hospital.
Original post by SpamBa
Like just suddenly going totally floppy. I wasn't woozy as when I came round I could talk clearly and walk properly.

Last time I had this being aware but unconcious thing, I was elbowed in the head and I came round with a really bad concussion that put me in hospital.

But when you say "came around"... what was it like before that?

I'm not going to be able to offer any answers, just curious! I've knocked myself out a few times and have only ever been either out cold, or really woozy..
Reply 6
Original post by Tyrannosaurus Cal
But when you say "came around"... what was it like before that?

I'm not going to be able to offer any answers, just curious! I've knocked myself out a few times and have only ever been either out cold, or really woozy..

By came around I mean regained muscle control/the power of speech. There wasn't really any change in how aware I was but just that my body did what I was telling it to unlike before.
Original post by SpamBa
Like just suddenly going totally floppy.

I have this problem in the bedroom :frown:
Whenever I've fainted, I've been unaware of even being "out".
Reply 9
Original post by Gemma :)!
Whenever I've fainted, I've been unaware of even being "out".

I have had this too - when I was about 6 I was thrown off a seesaw and fell about 4ft onto my head - I have no memory of anything prior to coming round on the floor.
Original post by SpamBa
Last night me and my friend were dancing in a club and accidentally headbutted pretty hard. I collapsed on to the floor and was 'out' for about thirty seconds. The thing is, I was aware of what was going on the whole time, I just couldn't respond.

I've had the same thing happen before (when sober) but any time you read about someone having passed out it always describes everything going black and being totally unaware of your surroundings. Does anyone else pass out and find themselves aware of what's going on?

Sounds like you were concussed but not unconscious.

I have had that when I got was playing cricket and got hit on the head by the ball, it just made my ears ring and I just went into a 'zoned out' mode when I was on the floor, not completely out, but was aware that people were coming round looking over me, and I was totally indifferent to them and didn't respond. But I had memory of the event, which doesn't happen if you are unconscious. I had the same sort of feeling before I was anaesthetised for an operation once, they put a kind of preliminary sedative in before the main one kicks in, and I was aware of the anaesthetist chatting to me, chatting through what he was going to do, but I couldn't be bothered responding, I just kind of lay there inert. Then obviously he actually did put me out, but I don't remember that bit.

The other way to tell if you were concussed or unconscious is if you got injured when you fell to the ground. If you didn't get any major injuries, you were probably conscious enough to hit the deck in a way that didn't damage you. If you had been knocked unconscious by the headbutt, and nobody caught you, then chances are you would have got badly injured because your head would have hit the ground first. A lot of the time when you hear people who were killed by 'one punch' in a street brawl, it wasn't the punch that killed them, it was that they were knocked out and their head made contact with the pavement at full speed and that was where they got the fatal injury.

I saw a girl faint in a queue at a coffee shop once and she just toppled over backwards and her head hit the back of a chair which then fell over, but actually that probably did her a good thing in that she had something which broke her fall which had some 'give' in it, if she'd have hit a table edge or something she could have had a serious injury.
Reply 11
Original post by SpamBa

Hi! I have this a lot too! usually after I have had a lot to drink, but I am well known in my student club at my uni for passing out... but getting up within 10 seconds or so.. saying I am fine and carrying on dancing. When I 'pass out' I know I am lying on the floor of the club - but am unable to do anything about it until people shout at me, or pick me up. It is very strange and have never met or heard of anyone else that does it.

It has happened to me three times when I have been extremely exhausted playing squash and hockey too! but predominantly when I have been drinking... and a lot in a short space of time (like catch up drinking)

Sorry I cant say what it is, but thought i'd say I know exactly how you feel when it happens!
I broke my pinky toe and proceeded to "pass out" but I was completely aware of what was going on the entire time. I couldn't move, feel my body, or see. I was able to murmur a confused, "Am I dreaming?" and "I can't see." After immediately collapsing, I was able to walk a bit with help but collapsed multiple times as my parents brought me to our car. I started to regain sight but then my vision went completely white. After awhile this went away and I was fine. I had never passed out before that, and haven't since, so I always thought this was passing out. Then I found the wiki article "Falling-out" and it reminded me of what happened. Now I'm confused. If this isn't passing out, what is it? No one seems to know.
I've passed out a couple of times (sober) and been fully aware of people shaking me and calling my name... but it's like I'm in a white space and everything is really far away! 😬
Original post by SpamBa

If this has happened to you without the influence of an injury or alcohol I would talk to a doctor. That doesn't sound unusual to me if you have a reason for fainting though. I've heard of people fainting and still being aware of their surroundings etc and if you were also drunk I can see that you could just be "out of it" for a while after the impact.

Latest