The Student Room Group

What do you think about these AS grades?

I did 2 AS's in year 11 and 4 in year 12 attaining.

Geography- A
Physics- B (retook an AS unit this jan)
Chemistry- C (Retook an AS unit this jan)
French- D
Science in Society- D
Maths- E

Im taking the first 3 to A2. If you saw those grades, would you think I was an unintelligent pupil? lol

Im pretty embarrassed about them to be honest :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The first 3 are not that bad.. geography is brilliant so is physics and don't forget how hard physics actually is. Chemistry not disastrous.. and you can improve on that by your re-sit.

The other 3.. lol! But 'cos the above 3 are good.. it balances it :wink:
Reply 2
Don't be embarrassed, they're not bad grades - and the only ones that matter are the ones you take to A2.
Reply 3
Original post by Right Guard 3.D

Geography- A
French- D
Science in Society- D
Maths- E

Im taking the first 3 to A2. If you saw those grades, would you think I was an unintelligent pupil? lol

You're clearly not unintelligent if your school has let you do some AS's in year 11 and you achieved A, B, C in three of them. It just looks like you've taken on a few too many doing 6 :smile: D and E's are perfectly common AS grades, that's what resits are for, you can get A's don't feel like you're not intelligent :smile: and remember, you don't have to put all of your AS's on your UCAS, or can put results as pending, so they never need to know about and E or a D if you don't want to carry the subject on :smile:
Hope this helps and stops you worrying a little :smile:
Pretty good, but depends what you want to do with them once you have finished school/sixth form.
Any job preferences?

Also your clearly not unintelligent.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Depending on what degree you may want to do, an E in maths AS might be a big hinderence, maybe retake it during the summer and do the 3 modules again?
they are f***ing laughable.
Original post by Cheesecakefactory
they are f***ing laughable.

And so will your face when you get rejected for Medicine/Dentistry :smile: Whereas I have got 5 offers and accepted my universities (University of Southampton so not too shabby :wink:)

Go troll your Fallout 4 wishlist thread :rolleyes:
Reply 8
You're clearly intelligent.
It depends on how you feel you have done, do you feel that you reached your potential or that you can do better?
I would be a little worried about maths as many unis look at it. What course would you be interested in at uni then? :smile:
You're doing better than I was at AS level if that helps?
Reply 11
they're pretty bad, to be honest - similar to what I had at As.

Says nothing about your intelligence, I'm just guessing you didn't do much work in year 12
If you saw those grades, would you think I was an unintelligent pupil?

An pupil with an A in Geography and a B in Physics is intelligent, in my opinion! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by jordanchase
Don't be embarrassed, they're not bad grades - and the only ones that matter are the ones you take to A2.

Wait, I thought that now we have to disclose our AS grades too? and we have to put on all our grades whether they're good or bad..

So wouldn't that mean that what you got in AS would matter because the universities/ wherever you go next may consider it?
Original post by loopy786
Wait, I thought that now we have to disclose our AS grades too? and we have to put on all our grades whether they're good or bad..

So wouldn't that mean that what you got in AS would matter because the universities/ wherever you go next may consider it?

Technically, yes. However, I managed get away with not disclosing my Critical Thinking grade (U), but that may have been because universities don't give a **** about it, though I can't be sure. Check with whoever deals with UCAS apps at your school and see if you can get away with leaving out a grade or two (may be pushing your luck there though :colondollar:).

You have to remember that your predicted grades for A2 also go on the application, so be sure to butter up your teachers or whoever writes your reference. Obviously, each admissions tutor will have place a slightly different importance on certain parts of the application. I got similar AS grades to you (in different subs), but still managed to get some good offers, probably because my A2 predicted grades matched them. Alternatively, if you retake some AS grades in year 13, they go down on your application as "pending", so the admissions tutors won't see the grades you got. I know some people who managed to get offers like AAA, AAB with having more than one AS grade as pending, most likely because their predicted grades for A2 were very good (and their personal statement of course).
Original post by jordanchase
Technically, yes. However, I managed get away with not disclosing my Critical Thinking grade (U), but that may have been because universities don't give a **** about it, though I can't be sure. Check with whoever deals with UCAS apps at your school and see if you can get away with leaving out a grade or two (may be pushing your luck there though :colondollar:).

You have to remember that your predicted grades for A2 also go on the application, so be sure to butter up your teachers or whoever writes your reference. Obviously, each admissions tutor will have place a slightly different importance on certain parts of the application. I got similar AS grades to you (in different subs), but still managed to get some good offers, probably because my A2 predicted grades matched them. Alternatively, if you retake some AS grades in year 13, they go down on your application as "pending", so the admissions tutors won't see the grades you got. I know some people who managed to get offers like AAA, AAB with having more than one AS grade as pending, most likely because their predicted grades for A2 were very good (and their personal statement of course).

You don't need to disclose U grades on your UCAS application :smile: If you get any other grade you do though, even if it's a bad grade.
Reply 16

Geography- A
French- D
Science in Society- D
Maths- E

Not the best I have to say, but not really bad.
And could explain to me what Science in Society is? I have never heard of anything like it before!
Reply 17
Just U to go then you'd have achieved all the possible grades!

Don't give up! I know you can do a U!
You have five offers for medical degrees with those A/S grades?..lol thats a great confidence boost
Reply 19
I'd ask you if you were trying to spell the alphabet. My friend got ABC last year, so based on the spread of his and your grades, i'd just say that your both lazy.

Quick Reply

Latest