The Student Room Group

How to I start an email to a teacher?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hello *teachers name* (first name if your at college, mrs so and so if its sixth form)

Just a quick message to say blah de blah

Thanks

Name
Reply 21
I normally go
Hello
rest of email
if I am emailing a teacher for the first time, or one I'm not on that good terms with. But to my English teacher who is the one I mainly email I say Hi/Hey (with Mrs A or her once first name when she signed with it) and she says the same back.

Really? I don't think it matters at all!
Hi [if teacher laid back] / Dear [if not so much] (Name) [first or full depending on how you address them at school],

(Message)

Many thanks/Regards [as appropriate]

(Your first name)
Reply 23
I always put 'Dear (whatever their first name is). Since thats how they email me.
Reply 24
I put 'Hi (teachers first name)'
Reply 25
Original post by SAK.A
Why are you anon on this? :s-smilie:

His teacher is hidden in this thread.
Reply 26
If you don't know them very well,

Mrs Smith,
jhjashdaskjbcadsfsaf
Regards, Sarah King

If you do get on well with them,

Hi/Hello
ksadaskjdhlskcdsca
Thanks! Sarah King

But you really don't need to worry to much about it- unless you're like 'yo, Bitch' I doubt they'll care, or even notice.
'wassupppp hooomieeee!'
Sup bbz.
Whenever I email my physics teacher I'm like 'Hey Mike...' - think he might be a tad laid back...

Honestly though I'd just start it with 'Hi Mrs Brown...' and get straight to the point. I'm fairly sure they won't care as long as it's not 'ite blud'.
I usually put 'Hiya sir/miss' and end it 'Ta very much, Jane x'
Reply 31
Sup' teach.

But seriously, if it's your head of department Dear, anyone else use Hello in the initial email, you'll find that as the conversation goes on it'll move to hi, then just to a message and a name at the end, depending on how nice your lecturer is, normally they just want you to be respectful in the initial email.

Saying that my course leader replies to emails from his blackberry, so tends to reply in all caps and sometimes in text speak, as long as you've spoken to him before. I was a bit thrown when he replied to my email and used the term "Brill..."
Reply 32
I was thinking about this a couple of days ago actually, sat staring blankly at the new email webpage, wondering how to start.

But yeah, depends on the teacher. Mostly, I just start it with their name, and they always reply to me with "Hi Mathew."
Reply 33
I would say

Hi,

Here's the work you want.

Thanks,
Anon.
Reply 34
I used to write hey.
I just put the teachers name and a comma and then launch into whatever I need to send.
Reply 36
I just start with 'Hi [their name] followed by the message.

Writing 'Dear Mrs/Mr...' sounds too formal for a short email. :smile::
Reply 37
'Yo teach.'
Just say Hello.

Depends on how well you know the teacher. If you'd call them by their first name:

Hi (firstname),

and if you wouldn't:

Dear Mr/Mrs/Miss...,

Quick Reply

Latest