The Student Room Group

The Deceptively Non-Vegetarian Vegetarian Thread

Now, I'm no vegetarian myself, but after a few startled responses both on here and in "real life" (you know, 'cos you guys only exist in my computer screen), I thought we could start a thread of foods you ASSUME are vegetarian, but actually, are more deceptive than Starscream... and aren't suitable at ALL.

Dun Dun DUUUUUN!

So please post foods that our perhaps less-informed Vegetarian brethren might not be aware of being non-veggie!

I'll start our list off with:

Fanta

Why is it unsuitable? Fanta contains fish, I believe fish oils in the colourings.

McDonalds Spicy Veggie Deli Sandwich

Why is it unsuitable? McDonalds Q and A confirm it is potentially prepared in the same fat the meat products are.

MASTER LIST OF UNSUITABLE FOOD AND DRINK PREVIOUSLY POSTED THROUGHOUT ENTIRE THREAD:

Fanta Orange
Tango Orange
Lea and Perrins
Party Rings
Pop Tarts
McDonalds Apple Pie
McDonalds Spicy Veggi Deli
Caesar Dressing
Haribo
Starburst
Fruitella
Kelloggs Frosted wheats
Muller Lights and some corners
Cheddar flavour, Walkers crisps
Flora Omega 3/lighter than light range
Tangy cheese flavour doritos
Marshmallows
some hard cheeses
Guinness
Nutella
Candied Apples
Smarties
Tropicana
Oreos
Magnum
Carte D'or
Cornetto
Feast
Mini Milk
Solero
Twister
some brands of Rainbow Sprinkles
some snack a jacks varieties
Rice Krispie Squares (all varieties except caramel)
Some brands of Glace cherries
Strawberry Crusha
Heinz "Taste of Home" Canned Jam Pudding
Hartley's Jelly (most jellies in general)
Foster's Lager
Black Sheep (Cask, bottled is good)
Boddingtons
Hobgoblin (this one really annoyed me)
John Smiths
Kronenbourg
Old Speckled Hen
Stella
Tetleys
Tesco noodles (however sweet and sour are fine)*
Kopparberg Cider
Tesco Ploughman's Sandwich (old recipe, new recipe is now veggie-friendly!)
Some mousse-based desserts
Papa John's six-cheese pizza
Dolmio Creamy Pasta Bake Tomato Sauce
Options Hot Chocolate
Unknown CADBURY'S products (one poster received a letter stating "some products" contain beef gelatin, but could not provide a list)
Chicken Super Noodles
Milkybar/Rolo Desserts

*May need confirmation.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Does this include fanta fruit twist?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Watching this thread.
Reply 3
I'm sure you're confusing Fanta with Tango. I thought it was Tango that was non-vegetarian, not Fanta. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Doublereedfreak

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Apparently Fruit Twist is fine. Fanta Fizzy Orange/Zero varieties are unsuitable.

Lea and Perrins

Why is it unsuitable? Lea and Perrins contains anchovies.
The opposite way around, but chicken supernoodles ARE suitable for vegetarians...
Party Rings. I looked at the package last night when I as craving biscuits. Not suitable for veggies for some reason. No idea why.

Pop Tarts. Gelatin. :puke:
Original post by Teao the Cat
The opposite way around, but chicken supernoodles ARE suitable for vegetarians...

I doubt it but are they suitable for vegans?

And McDonalds apple pies. Might be fried in the same oil as the meat due to the **** filtering system.

McDonalds chips are veggie/vegan though! Yay!
Caesar Dressing (anchovies), Starburst/gummi candies like Haribo (gelatin).

Gotta watch out for that stuff. :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by Doublereedfreak

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

All other Fantas are fine, most orange fizzy drinks aren't veggie. According to their website Mirinda is fine.

Lilt is also non-veggie and most beers

http://www.veggiewines.co.uk/index.htm
Reply 10
Original post by emilym94
I'm sure you're confusing Fanta with Tango. I thought it was Tango that was non-vegetarian, not Fanta. :smile:

Fanta Orange has fish gelatine in it.

Interesting enough, most apple ciders isn't veggie friendly but pear cider is.
Reply 11
Kellogg's Frosted Wheats

Why is it unsuitable? It contains Beef Gelatin.

Party Rings

Why is it unsuitable? It contains fish oil in the colouring.
Original post by TotoMimo
Apparently Fruit Twist is fine. Fanta Fizzy Orange/Zero varieties are unsuitable.

I]

THANK THE LORD.

I like how bacon frazzles are suitable for vegetarians, just because it makes me laugh when people are like HA YOU'RE EATING MEAT.
Reply 13
Muller Light Yoghurt and certain Muller Corners

Why is it unsuitable? It contains gelatin.
Reply 14
Walkers Cheddar Crisps

Why is it unsuitable? The cheese powder contains rennet. Note that this only applies to any Walkers product with "cheddar" flavouring, such as cheddar cheese, mature cheddar, and cheddar cheese and bacon. Regular Cheese and Onion is safe.
Reply 15
Flora Omega 3 Margarine

Why is it unsuitable? It contains fish oils. Please note it only applies to the Omega 3 range, the regular Flora is safe.
Reply 16
I am a veggie, this is what i've discovered so far:
Marshmallow's/haribo/jelly/anything with gelatine (obviously), party rings, tangy cheese flavour doritos (i think), some cheese because some of it isn't made with veggiee friendly rennet, so that is a no-no. Some drugs/antibiotics aren't suitable for veggies, although these are mostly prescription. A lot of wines & other alcoholic drinks contain gelatine (little known fact) and are thus unsuitable. Some red food colouring (although think they might have changed it now, i know it used to be made of crushed cochineal beatles, yum), and also quite a few e-numbers are unsuitable.

Had no idea fanta was unsuitable, or that chicken supernoodles were ok :smile: i don't drink fanta so that's ok :smile:

Only recently realised this, but if you're veggie for ethical reasons, then really, you shouldn't drink milk or eat milk products, as most male calves in the dairy industry are shot very young as they are useless, and some cows are given growth hormones so they can produce 3 calves a year to increase milk production - even though the normal bovine gestation period is 9 months. So it's quite unethical to drink milk if you object to animal cruelty. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2006/feb/19/ethicalfood

Oh and quorn isn't suitable for vegans, as it has egg in it.

:smile:
Mmmmm gelatine. :sogood:
Reply 18
Original post by TotoMimo
Muller Light Yoghurt and certain Muller Corners

Why is it unsuitable? It contains gelatin.

I live off them, oh lord. Checked my ASDA's own one, it's fine, phew.

The Shape Yogurts aren't veggie either but they say on them 'Not suitable for vegetarians', most strawberry ice cream and milkshakes aren't either. Dahm that colouring.

Nutella isn't but tesco own chocolate spread as is hotel chocolat and M&S
Reply 19
This is a really good idea for a thread. I thought I'd weigh in by saying that any Parmesan is unsuitable because by EU regulations it has to be made with animal rennet.

There are alternatives which are vegetarian e.g:

Quick Reply