The Student Room Group

info needed on counselling diploma

Hi everyone, would like some info about entry requirements for the social work degree, i have been training as a counsellor for the past 4 years and am on the last year of the diploma in counselling. I went on friday to see a advisor about applying for uni and was thinking about the social work degree and thought that i would get in no problem as i also have a 1st diploma in health and social care various A levels and keys skills, but when she rang ljmu they said they wouldnt accept my counselling quailifacations??? am gutted!!
Original post by mumofthree067

Original post by mumofthree067
Hi everyone, would like some info about entry requirements for the social work degree, i have been training as a counsellor for the past 4 years and am on the last year of the diploma in counselling. I went on friday to see a advisor about applying for uni and was thinking about the social work degree and thought that i would get in no problem as i also have a 1st diploma in health and social care various A levels and keys skills, but when she rang ljmu they said they wouldnt accept my counselling quailifacations??? am gutted!!

They probably won't recognise your counselling qualification in terms of it being part of their entrance requirements, but it will however be acknowledged and considered when they think about whether to give you a place. So in that respect, it will be accepted.

Do you have A level and other diploma points to 280 UCAS points? You will still need to meet their entry requirements as counselling courses are not on the UCAS tariff so do not carry points. I'm assuming you're a mature student, so you might find that they're willing to lower the entry requirements a little bit if you have extensive experience in the field. Do you meet their requirements of 500 hours of paid/voluntary work in the social welfare field?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending