The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

University of Hertfordshire- Paramedic Science 2011

Hi everyone.
Just recieved an offer for the foundation degree Paramedic Science course for Sept 2011. :smile: So pleased and really excited for next year. Anyone else out there got an offer and how's everyone feeling about it? Any current students have any advice or general information about the course or university life? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts :smile:

Can't wait for next year!!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by RachelCooper
Hi everyone.
Just recieved an offer for the foundation degree Paramedic Science course for Sept 2011. :smile: So pleased and really excited for next year. Anyone else out there got an offer and how's everyone feeling about it? Any current students have any advice or general information about the course or university life? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts :smile:

Can't wait for next year!!! :smile:

Again, I'm going to do a bit of copying and pasting because we get questions about what herts is like every so often.

Obviously, I can only speak for myself. I am now in my second year and have always been in a friendly environment. I have great teachers that are easily approachable and are available to you most of the time. I don't know how it is in other departments but in the Humanities department both social and academic support is very good. You can always ask for help if you are stuck with your essay or if you just want some stranger to look at it (a stranger who knows about academic writing of course ). Also if you are just not feeling well, as in you don't know if you made the right choices there is a lot of support and people you can talk to. If you need more support on one particular subject there are also mentors in place who can help you out.

Hatfield itself isn't the best place in the world, we don't need to pretend it is but I never really understood why some people make it out to be a really dangerous place, it is not. You can get knifed/robbed/killed in any city or place it is not something that hatfield is known for or something. Generally I do enjoy living in Hatfield really. It is close to london and there are enough places around to visit and I feel there is something for most people really. Hertfordshire University is quite a new university and is climbing up the league tables (for those who care) every year. UCL didn't become one of the best universities overnight either, it takes time. :smile:

What nightlife is concerned, I must be honest, I'm not that much of a outgoing person so I guess I'm not the best one to ask but I think there is a lot around. Obviously you have the forum at the collegelane campus which most people go to. Then there are loads of bars in st. albans which is about 10/15 min by bus really - I nice place I think. London is about 20 min by train and herts uni organises trips to clubs every now and then meaning you don't need to worry about the train cause you will just take the same coach back

I absolutely love london, I wouldn't want to live there I don't think cause it can be soo hectic, but I must admit that I get pretty excited every time I go to london again haha It doesn't get boring either I don't think.

Overall, I never regretted going to Hertfordshire University, I am enjoying my time here and studying something I find really interesting. :biggrin:

So there you go. Anything else, just leave a message or PM me :smile:
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Thankyou so much, that's really really useful. A lot of people seem to be slagging it off big time on some forums but from everything I have seen on visits and heard from actual students there is seems very good and I definately think it will be my first choice. :smile:

Which accomodation do you think is the best? I think I liked the telford court flats best but I didn't really see much of the other halls.

Thankyou for all of your help :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by RachelCooper
Thankyou so much, that's really really useful. A lot of people seem to be slagging it off big time on some forums but from everything I have seen on visits and heard from actual students there is seems very good and I definately think it will be my first choice. :smile:

Which accomodation do you think is the best? I think I liked the telford court flats best but I didn't really see much of the other halls.

Thankyou for all of your help :smile:

I never really understood why it gets slagged off so much either, it really doesn't deserve all the bad comments, cause in my view herts is a good uni. Of course if you get stories from people who get in trouble all the time and hang out with the wrong people then you might hear stories you don't want to hear really, but you got these people in any uni :smile:

I spent my first year in Roberts Way, which are spacious rooms although they might look a bit depressing at times as there are a lot of dark colours so you would need do it up a bit yourself :tongue: De havilland is generally quite a nice campus I think and has nice rooms although they are a bit on the small side at times but you do have the en-suite of course, they are also a lot more expensive :tongue:

Perhaps have a look on the wiki of the accommodation on TSR here, you can find that here: Halls of Residence.

Either way, Telford court seems a good choice! :smile:
Reply 4
Hey! :smile:

I've applied to do the BSc at Herts!
Had my interview on the 8th of December and still haven't heard a thing! It's awful playing the waiting game :frown:

Anybody have a clue as to when they will give out the offers? :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by cal_allison

Had my interview on the 8th of December and still haven't heard a thing! It's awful playing the waiting game :frown:

If you are worried just give them a ring. No one on here can tell you when you will get your offer exactly. Some departments have interviews like yours, others don't so it's different for everyone :smile:

Good luck. If the student centre is not helpfull just ask to get put through to the help desk of your department.
Reply 6
I got an email from Laurie Williams the admissions tutor and then it came through on ucas but mine was for the foundation degree so maybe they had sorted that out quicker. You could email her directly? Her email address is in the prospectus I think.

Good Luck :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice guys :smile: I'll drop them an e-mail asking if they know when the offers will be given out or if they know about me specifically :smile:

I'll let you know the outcome! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Hi :smile:
I’ve applied to do the paramedic science course at Hertfordshire but haven’t heard anything yet?!
Does anyone know if they have been doing the interviews for long? I’m getting quite worried now
Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by ahamshaw
Hi :smile:
I’ve applied to do the paramedic science course at Hertfordshire but haven’t heard anything yet?!
Does anyone know if they have been doing the interviews for long? I’m getting quite worried now
Thanks

Hi. I applied in November and my interview was the first week in January I think. I received my offer through in mid feb I guess. They dis say at te interview that we probably wouldn't know until march/April time and I haven't heard anyone else say they have an offer on here. Which course did you apply for the fdsc or bsc? It may be different for the 2 courses.
Reply 10
I applied back in October and had an interview in Late november i think. Heard back within a week with an offer. I dont think theres any way of predicting when you will hear back. On the day of the interview we were told that if they like you and want you then you will hear back quick, likewise if they dont want you then you will also hear back quick. So if youre still waiting on an offer then thats not necessarily a bad thing.
Reply 11
Original post by chrisr1993
I applied back in October and had an interview in Late november i think. Heard back within a week with an offer. I dont think theres any way of predicting when you will hear back. On the day of the interview we were told that if they like you and want you then you will hear back quick, likewise if they dont want you then you will also hear back quick. So if youre still waiting on an offer then thats not necessarily a bad thing.

Well Done :smile: which course was that for, bsc or fdsc?
What other offers do you have and which is your favourite?
Reply 12
Hey all,

I had an interview for BSc on the 8th of december. I still havent heard anything yet. If there is anyone who has applied for the same course as me and recieved a reply, could you let me know?

Good luck to all of you by the way. :smile:
Reply 13

Hey :smile: i think we were interviewed at the same time. Did your day start at 12:45? I havent heard anything yet either. Good luck!:smile:
Original post by Hannah03
Hey :smile: i think we were interviewed at the same time. Did your day start at 12:45? I havent heard anything yet either. Good luck!:smile:

Hey :biggrin:
Yeah I think we did! 12:45 was my start time aswell :smile:
Good luck to both of us! Hopefully we will be seeing each other in september! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Hey :biggrin:
Yeah I think we did! 12:45 was my start time aswell :smile:
Good luck to both of us! Hopefully we will be seeing each other in september! :biggrin:

Yea I thought the course was great. Hertfordshires my first choice. Where else have you applied? Yea good luck for both of us. I don't have a clue when they are going to give out the decisions. I hope it's soon :smile:
I absolutely fell in love with Hertfordshire. The course and everything was just perfect. I heard that they are interviewing until roughly April? Still not sure though. I don't think anyone who applied for the BSc has heard back yet so no news is good news for now! :biggrin: haha

If you join the group on facebook 'so you want to be a paramedic' that gives loads of info and is ran by some paramedics themselves so it's a good way to find info :smile:
Firstly, congratulations to all the people with an offer! From a first year perspective, the course is really good here and all the staff are friendly and supportive! From an accommodation perspective, I'm living at ridgeview lodge, it's uni owned and located in london colney, near st albans, it is ideal for people with cars as there is free parking and it is only a 10 minute drive from the uni (with traffic, I've managed to get to uni in 5 minutes before when the roads were clear), it is cheap and the rooms are pretty big, so if you are going to bring a car to uni it's definately the way forward.

So far we've only had 2 weeks placement, as observers, but there is more time in the summer and a lot more time in year 2, 3 and 4. During the first year the BSc and FdSc students are together in all modules, except for the practical sessions in "paramedic skills development", where we are split, but only because the size of the cohort makes it impossible for the staff to do otherwise, the content of both groups is the same. If any of you are coming to the open day, then feel free to come over to the paramedic science stand and ask any questions, I'll be there, as well as some other students!

I'd echo the sentiment about the "so you want to be a paramedic" group, bob, one of the people who runs it, is one of our tutors and he's brilliant, I'm sure people on the group will answer your questions or you can feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer/find out!
Reply 18
Ah cool I think I will check that facebook page thanks for letting me know :smile:

Yea I fell in love with hertfordshire too. I will be really gutted I they say no. I emailed the university yesterday and asked about when they will be letting people know. They are going to get back to me next week but I've heard Its late march, to early April too.

Thanks for the advice ChrisPritchard! Wish I was in hour position. I bet it's brilliant there :smile:
Reply 19
I am over the moon to have received an offer from Herts. Having done the rounds, it seems like one of the best courses academically and professionally (important journal articles always seem to written by members of the faculty), but I am a little biased living down the road from the uni!

I have a couple of quick qs that I hope someone can help me with:

1. How long and when are the breaks between semesters? - loads of holidays/weddings to plan.
2. What are the negative comments that some on this forum refer to?

Many thanks. Can't wait for Sept!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending