The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wangers
Question - where do you get the material from if you cant read journals - new scientist/papers?? That's not really scientific

Most journals have online sections that you can access for free. Also there's the British Medical Association and World Health Organisation who have quite a lot of information on their sites. As well as visiting libraries and taking out books.
Reply 121
Original post by orange.bananna
Most journals have online sections that you can access for free. Also there's the British Medical Association and World Health Organisation who have quite a lot of information on their sites. As well as visiting libraries and taking out books.

But thats usually just the abstracts...
Original post by Wangers

I've had no difficulty in getting any of the articles I've needed - you can find anything online :P
Original post by Wangers

No I managed to get whole articles.
Reply 124
The EPQ is rubbish. It has no impact whatsoever on an application to study medicine. You'd be better offer spending your summer practising for the UKCAT/BMAT
Reply 125
WHOEVER SAID TO DO FURTHER MATHS IS WRONG.
They don't count furter maths as a seperate qualification... they just see it as maths. It doesn't add anything extra to you arsenal - or show any extra skills.
Admittedly, unless you are doing 5 complex, different As levels, they wont care. As long as you have the 4 A;'s at AS.
I wouldn't reccomnd doing 5, unless your doing a subject which you're not sure you can do well in/doing it for your enjoyment.
Having said that critcal thinking (which is HARD) or EPQ would be the bst option. They're seen as 'better qualifications' even though they aren't accepted. Also EPQ can be written about in your PS, showing that you enjoy wider reading, helping you kill 2 birds with 1 stone :smile:
Reply 126
Original post by Wangers

if you sign up to the bmj you can get access to some articles :smile:
Original post by nick2012
I have a subscription to Nature and Nature medicine, and used them to help with the project. There are a lot of free archives on some websites though :smile:

please tell me you didn't pay for that..
Reply 128
Original post by John Locke

If they're storming through Nature before even applying I might as well resign...

Unless of course, this board is full of those once in a generation geniuses that publish something amazing as an undergraduate...
Reply 129
Original post by John Locke

Yeah, they had a special offer on last year where it was £25 for a year's subscription. I didn't get it just for my EPQ, i find it interesting...
So to summarise for those of us who this is relevant to (me) :

EPQ isn't really useful for admissions but can help with interviews or PS or just be an interesting project that helps you develop research skills

About right?
Original post by Orinincandenza
So to summarise for those of us who this is relevant to (me) :

EPQ isn't really useful for admissions but can help with interviews or PS or just be an interesting project that helps you develop research skills

About right?

sounds a fair summary
Reply 132
Original post by lekky
Lots of threads popping up at the moment, so here's a place to discuss your EPQ!

I did my EPQ on malaria and got an A* so if you have any questions you think I can help with please quote me :smile:

Heyy im doing the EPQ too! can you please help me? i have no idea how to structure it and since you did amazing im hoping that you could tell me how ?! x
Reply 133
I'm currently doing the EPQ and was doing it on the history of medicine. More specifically on the Islamic golden age and what contributions were made to the field of medicine in this time. However, I now also have to write a 5000 word essay for a work experience that I am doing at Great Ormond Street on medical ethics. My supervisor told me to pick a new topic which I can use for both essays.

I was thinking of doing "Should patients be able to sue doctors?" or possibly something regarding the stressful lives of doctors and what effects this has on them as many apparantly smoke (not sure if this comes under medical ethics). I was also thinking something along the lines of the whole debate about whether nurses and doctors are being paid fairly or not.

I would really appreciate some advice in terms of what topic I could choose :smile:
Thought I'd break the trend of the essay side of EPQ and create an "artifact". I was thinking about making an alcoholic/ non-alcoholic beverage that could hypothetically be retailed, which isn't really anything to do with medicine/ health. Would the uni prefer me to do a subject that is more relavent, or is the fact I'm just doing EPQ (and hopefully getting a good grade) ok? :smile:
Reply 135
Original post by Dirtyflanker1
Thought I'd break the trend of the essay side of EPQ and create an "artifact". I was thinking about making an alcoholic/ non-alcoholic beverage that could hypothetically be retailed, which isn't really anything to do with medicine/ health. Would the uni prefer me to do a subject that is more relavent, or is the fact I'm just doing EPQ (and hopefully getting a good grade) ok? :smile:

ive heard that universities do not really mind what you do it on, obviously scientifically based i suppose, but it just shows that you have the ability to carry out independent research/learning. :smile:
Hi, i'm doing my Epq on wether the use of embryos can be justified in medical research. I know it's not the most original topic but theres a lot of infomation on it.

I'm almost ready to start writing it up but i'm not quite sure on how to structure it and so i was wondering if anyone knew where i could find any examples?
Reply 137
So I'm doing an AQA EPQ and since I want to go into medicine I want to base it on that. My teacher mentioned that I may be able to make some sort of paracetamol or something but I might go broader into the making of antibiotics and their affects or something.
Any ideas on what my question could be?
Also I want to do an essay but something alongside as well? Any tips on some sort of model or book or other creative product?
Much appreciated.
:smile:
Reply 138
Original post by r.gohel
So I'm doing an AQA EPQ and since I want to go into medicine I want to base it on that. My teacher mentioned that I may be able to make some sort of paracetamol or something but I might go broader into the making of antibiotics and their affects or something.
Any ideas on what my question could be?
Also I want to do an essay but something alongside as well? Any tips on some sort of model or book or other creative product?
Much appreciated.
:smile:

First go as NARROW as possible! If you're planning on doing antibiotics pick a single class and look at it's development etc. It really all depends on what you're into - if you like cellular mechanisms etc. then drugs and drug actions are the way to go. if you like certain diseases then do that. risk factors, mechanisms - you could literally do anything.

It should roughly have it's own devoted wikipedia page. This page will not only give you roughly the whole background but the format, what you should include and references to find what you're looking for. I also suggest using google scholar and textbooks.
Development of antibiotic resistance? You could include maps of how it spreads, or where different resistances are etc. You could never hope to be comprehensive, but you could focus on examples to illustrate broader trends. Semi-developed countries tend to have resistances we would consider terrible - places like South Africa, India etc, so you could focus on one country. That would be more medical than making antibiotics, which is entirely a chemistry project (not that that would be a bad thing, but since its the medical forum...).
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending