The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Aaccommodation Choice Help!

Hello TSR :smile:

I need some help choosing my accommodation choices for Manchester! I've done so much research, and I still can't decide at all!

I was wondering if you could help me. Here are some things i'd really like to be included:

Self Catered

En-Suite

Don't care about price

Don't like posh snobby people (I come from a sixth form, and i love it!)

I've got a place for Chemical Engineering, i'd like it to easy to get to the campus

Got to have some places to study in silence

Broadband!

Good social life

Can you help me?

Thanks

EDIT: Yes, I realize I spelt Accommodation wrong! Sorry.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Ian.
Hello TSR :smile:

I need some help choosing my accommodation choices for Manchester! I've done so much research, and I still can't decide at all!

I was wondering if you could help me. Here are some things i'd really like to be included:

Self Catered

En-Suite

Don't care about price

Don't like posh snobby people (I come from a sixth form, and i love it!)

I've got a place for Chemical Engineering, i'd like it to easy to get to the campus

Got to have some places to study in silence

Broadband!

Good social life

Can you help me?

Thanks

EDIT: Yes, I realize I spelt Accommodation wrong! Sorry.

They've all got broadband, so nothing to worry about! I don't think there's any halls that really has "posh snobby people", Manchester is huge, so's the diversity of people you'll meet and study with. There's no halls that's labelled as being posh, as far as I'm aware.

Now regarding the social life, Fallowfield is meant to be the most social place, but it doesn't mean it'll suit your taste. It's very lively and it can become an inconvenience at times, especially if you're a light sleeper. Victoria Park and City Centre are both alright, not too quiet or noisy, but they've still got some stuff going on.

If you do ChemEng, I think you'll be in the Northern part of the campus, and there's a free bus that runs on Oxford Road and goes to your department. Fallowfield is the furthest, and there can be a lot of traffic at peak time, so unless you're on bike, bear that in mind. Halls like Lambert and Fairfields, Victoria Park, Weston Hall, Withworth Park don't fit all your requirements, but have a look at them to see what you'd prefer.

Some extra things to remember:
- Whatever you pick, there's no guarantee you'll get it. I applied for 3 self-catered en-suite and ended up with a room without even a basin. You may well get your first choice, but don't get your hopes up.
- Not being en-suite is not the end of the world. There are cleaners that will take care of your bathroom, and you actually very rarely have to wait for showers or loos to be free (I lived with 8 other girls in 1st year and never had to wait once for one of our 2 showers to be free).
- Fallowfield is far. If you're of the lazy sort, remember it, because it's easy to just skip lectures 'cause the building's too far.
- Try to see where your fave things are. Which kind of clubs you're into (Fallowfield has decent stuff, but there's a lot of clubs in the centre), what sport teams, gym would be near you (fencing and swimming on the north side, rowing on the south side).
- The closest halls to the library (JRUL) are Whitworth Park.
- Sainsbury's is in Fallowfield, there's an Asda near Victoria Park and Whitworth. There's Lidl, Tesco express and even Worldwide on the Curry Mile (close to Hulme Hall, Whitworth, etc).

Any more question, feel free to ask!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Anatheme
They've all got broadband, so nothing to worry about! I don't think there's any halls that really has "posh snobby people", Manchester is huge, so's the diversity of people you'll meet and study with. There's no halls that's labelled...

Any more question, feel free to ask!

Right, i've booked my accommodation. Is there anything that I could be doing now? Other stuff I could apply for early?

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Ian.
Right, i've booked my accommodation. Is there anything that I could be doing now? Other stuff I could apply for early?

Thanks

Not that I know of, have you been to an open day already?
Reply 4
Original post by Anatheme
Not that I know of, have you been to an open day already?

Yeah. Hmm, oh well. I'll wait!
Reply 5
hey, i would like to know wat were ur choices coz my criteria are very close to yours:smile: are u a postgrad or undergrad?? we might end up neighbors:smile:

i would also like to know wat is the difference between an ensuite room and a deluxe ensuite room in Opal hall??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending