The Student Room Group

Bath or Bristol for Computer Science?

Poll

Bath or Bristol for Computer Science

I've got conditional offers from Bath and Bristol for Computer Science but I have no idea which one to put as my firm.

I know that Bristol is the slighlty better out of the two
(it is ranked 4th for CS and Bath is ranked 10th)

But Bath have a really good industrial year scheme which i think would be helpful in getting a job later on as you get links with businesses.

Should i choose a placement over a slightly better uni?
I Would really appreciate your views :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by marieeb2
x

Considering Bristol has 95% of its Graduate in Graduate jobs

and Bath has 100% in graduate jobs
:redface: can see your point, but if you go to Bristol you just have to not be that 5% :wink:

btw their really are biased people about Bristol on here :smile:
Reply 2
thanks for your thoughts :smile:
hmmm i guess i'll decide sooner or later...
Reply 3
I'm a final year student doing Computer Science at Bristol.

I was in the same position as you actually, because I put down both Bristol and Bath as my choices. I remember they both had the same entry requirements at the time. One of the biggest deciding factors for me was the position it had in the league tables (amongst other things). Bristol was higher up than Bath, so I chose Bristol as my firm.

But there were other reasons I chose Bristol too. I was born here in Bristol and have half of my family here so I kinda felt at home going here. I also chose Bristol over bath as there's more to do around here in terms of going out, better nightlife for sure. Although Bath is more scenic than Bristol!

I expect the course is equally as good in Bath, so I'd centre you choice around other things. Bristol isn't a campus University (spread around the city), whereas Bath is. So that could be a deciding factor if you want lectures to be right on your doorstep first year!

Bristol don't do the year in industry, which I thought I really wanted to do beforehand. I remember being convinced that it wasn't that important though, so in the end it wasn't a deciding factor. I spent 3 months during the summer at the end of my 2nd year doing an internship (as do many others), so that's given me some practical experience too, although granted, not as much as a year in industry in Bath would, but 3 months is still a lot and more than enough to get on a graduate scheme.

I've recently received an offer for a place on a graduate scheme, and I know lots of other people who have done too at Bristol, so I don't think the year in industry is all that important if you can get a month or so of work experience during the summer period.

At the end of the day, whichever you choose you can't go wrong really as both are fantastic places, so choose wherever you feel you'd be most comfortable at.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Bristol IMO.

In fact I work right next door to the uni :smile:
Bath :smile:.
Much nicer city IMO, and you get the placement scheme. (thats the two reasons why I chose Bath over Bristol).
Bristol!!! :woo:

The course is perfect, they run a strong enterprise scheme which is really good if you want to start up your own company after. They give you the right tools for industrial experience. Otherwise, it's a 4 year course and tbh, anywhere in the west country has good job prospects.

But Bristol > Bath because the city is awesome :wink: Lot's of nightlife, their town is amazing, very cultural etc etc... Bristol won me over as a place. In fact, I thought it was nicer than London :ninja:
Reply 7
Original post by marieeb2
I've got conditional offers from Bath and Bristol for Computer Science but I have no idea which one to put as my firm.

I know that Bristol is the slighlty better out of the two
(it is ranked 4th for CS and Bath is ranked 10th)

But Bath have a really good industrial year scheme which i think would be helpful in getting a job later on as you get links with businesses.

They're both pretty solid. If you think you'd have a hard time motivating yourself to find an internship while at Bristol than go to Bath.

Bristol's a much bigger city and has a much more active nightlife, but that said there are plenty of students from Bath who hop onto the train to go out in Bristol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending