The Student Room Group

Just did an online numeracy test fo Atkins...

Goodness me it was solid. The practice tests were comparatively a breeze: got 9 out of 12 on my first attempt for the first practice test, and 6 out of 6 on my first attempt for the second practice test. For the 9 out of 12 test, they said I got a 'grade B' and 'performed better than typical applicants'. Nevertheless, it was only a measly practice test.

Then I did the real thing, which required me to answer 20 questions in 20 minutes.

I think I only managed to answer about 12 or 13 out of 20 correctly, I had to guess the rest.

Does anybody have any idea what score I should be looking at to make the interview stage?

Granted, I still have to do the verbal reasoning test.

EDIT: Is it just me, or are the real tests usually harder than the practice ones? I found that to be the case.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ilustrius

Goodness me it was solid. The practice tests were comparatively a breeze: got 9 out of 12 on my first attempt for the first practice test, and 6 out of 6 on my first attempt for the second practice test. For the 9 out of 12 test, they said I got a 'grade B' and 'performed better than typical applicants'. Nevertheless, it was only a measly practice test.

Then I did the real thing, which required me to answer 20 questions in 20 minutes.

I think I only managed to answer about 12 or 13 out of 20 correctly, I had to guess the rest.

Does anybody have any idea what score I should be looking at to make the interview stage?

EDIT: Is it just me, or are the real tests usually harder than the practice ones? I found that to be the case.

I did one of those back in November for a graduate position - looking at your profile I'm guessing you're applying for work experience? I think I answered something like 18 out of 20 confidently, and guessed the final one, obviously! This got me through to the next round, which was a phone interview, but I was recently told that although I was considered good enough to be invited to an assessment centre my first choice department had decided not to recruit this year - great thanks!

The verbal test is similarly irritating. I seem to remember a few questions where I'd read the passage quickly, answer the questions, then later go back and read more carefully and decide to change my mind.

Yes, the real tests are a lot harder than the practice ones. The practice ones are just to get you comfortable with the format and wording of questions. If the real tests were as easy as the practices, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between applicants would they?
I did one for Deloitte, PWC and KMPG, and all three were really difficult. But admittedly, the later tests were easier than the earlier. I think it's the style of question you need to get used to.
Reply 3
Original post by thefish_uk
but I was recently told that although I was considered good enough to be invited to an assessment centre my first choice department had decided not to recruit this year - great thanks!

Rail??? Sorry to hear mate.

Yes, definitely. I sat one last week and the two practice questions were quite simple. Then when the real questions came, there was suddenly a lot more data to take into account, and the relationships weren't linear either. I passed it, as confirmed by an email that I got moments after. But it was harder than the practice one and harder than the other practice ones online (particularly the one from the University of Kent).

The verbal test was easier. It was simply a case of reading the passage and answering whether the sentence was true, false, or whether it could not be said, based on information in the passage. I answered all the questions before the time-limit, with a few minutes to spare. But I understand that a lot of people have problems with reading comprehension nowadays so a lot of people might struggle with it (my mum did, who I asked to help me, who is a psychology graduate).

I'm not sure whether for Atkins they take test scores into consideration or whether it's just a case of you having to pass them to get to the next round.
Original post by bluenoxid
Rail??? Sorry to hear mate.

Yup. How did you know? Have I posted this before?

What was nice was that the lady who had interviewed me e-mailed me to tell me this and invite me for consideration for other business areas still open (so Nuclear and Oil & Gas). Apart from the fact I had to write new paragraphs explaining why I wanted to apply for these, my application is now back at the same stage. So I'm back in the game!

Original post by Smack
I'm not sure whether for Atkins they take test scores into consideration or whether it's just a case of you having to pass them to get to the next round.

I'm not a recruiter so I don't really have a clue... but common sense would suggest that they are only really useful for screening as a face to face interview would tell them so much more.
Reply 6
Original post by thefish_uk
Yup. How did you know? Have I posted this before?

What was nice was that the lady who had interviewed me e-mailed me to tell me this and invite me for consideration for other business areas still open (so Nuclear and Oil & Gas). Apart from the fact I had to write new paragraphs explaining why I wanted to apply for these, my application is now back at the same stage. So I'm back in the game!

I'm not a recruiter so I don't really have a clue... but common sense would suggest that they are only really useful for screening as a face to face interview would tell them so much more.

I got the same email recently from her (I started the application in October) and got a phone interview booked in a windy car park at work.

All I can say is keep at it. With regards to test scores, they are looked at and they can allow the company to understand some of your strengths. They are not a replacement for a face to face but another tool that they can use to scrutinise the people applying.
Reply 7
I'm supposed to be tested sometime this week and honestly I'm a bit worried..
I've had a few practice tests but I would say my performance goes up and down somehow:confused:
I just wanted to know what links are useful for practice and how long I should be practicing for..?? Should I expect to be able to complete a full exam in 20 mins(esp the numerical one)??

Help would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 8
Hello,

I have applied for a graduate (Civil Engineering) position in Atkins and I have no idea what questions will be in the online assessment. I have seen general example tests on google but I believe these are completely different to what I am going to do.

Can anyone help?

Thank you very much.
Reply 9
Hi,

I have applied too for a
Reply 10
Hi,
I have applied too for a "GR13 - Civil Engineering Graduate Development Programme-GR-000341", I'm a spanish girl so could be impossible take a chance with Verbal Reasoning Assessment, WAAAAA.I should write them about it, don't I?

On the other hand, I have a Leonardo da Vinci Scholarship but anyone wants me in UK, jjajaja, Its true, even free.
Do you want any company or consulting about highways or bridges, or water, who be smaller and could wants me with this scholarship? I don't meet any small company in UK.

Thank you anyway.

Quick Reply